Automatic or manual tranny for off-roading?

thenag

Or...instead of a hand throttle, install a TBI454 and it will maintain it's own idle, with enough torque to get it done. :D

Yuppers since installing the EFI 7.5L under the hood the hand throttle gets much less use, but it still gets used...

(btw anybody want to buy a ford EFI 7.5L... it is one of the good parts not going in project xj)

Nathan

metalry101

R/C addict
Or...instead of a hand throttle, install a TBI454 and it will maintain it's own idle, with enough torque to get it done. :D
Best answer I've seen. LMAO

I've wheeled and daily driven both autos and manuals. I HATE driving autos every day. Driving an auto puts me to sleep, literally. For somewhat technical crawling, there's no question that an automatic is far easier to drive. You can put all of your focus on your spotters and/or your line, not half of it while the other half is worried about whether or not you're going to stall or if you're in the correct gear. Also, because the power delivery is so much smoother, I spun tires a lot less often and in general felt like I had better control over the rig. In easier terrain, say Rattlesnake and Forest Lake, my manual trans works fine. There are a few spots where an auto would be easier, but overall I like my manual for trails like that. I definitely miss my auto when playing on Little Moab style terrain.

In the end it really depends on what kind of wheeling you're doing, what your preference is, and what engine it'll be behind.

On the way up to Forest Lake on Friday, my 7yo stated that he wants a manual tranny so he can "be cool and drive it without using the gas." We talked about the benefits of both trannies (in 7yo terms, anyway). He said he definitely wants to learn how to drive a manual though, he heard his brother talking about how nobody learns how to drive manual anymore.