Ben and Kami’s TJ Overhaul

thenag

Thanks!

Do I recall correctly? Was that trip your honeymoon? The XJ sounds like a fun build, should be a lot more nimble than the bronco.

actually Tanja and I were trying to figure that out, we decided that was Mermorial day before we got married in Moab (so that would have been 2008). I seem to remember interviewing people to do flowers on that trip.

The bronco was nimble for a 6500lb truck...

Nathan

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
The play time at the dunes looks like a ton of fun! Seems like the TJ handeled it very well too, even the jump! Coilovers were a great call... I'm a bit jealous. :D

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Sometimes you gotta wonder when to just let a build thread die. I can't believe it has been a year since I made the last big push to get this thing wrapped up. I have had a lot more fun using this than building it, probably why the finish work is going so slow :D

Days are getting shorter, and I'll probably be needing headlights. I bought the HIDs from Panos, they're amazingly bright!

headlight.jpg

Installed a steering wheel. It has been nice when Kami has the seat slid all the way forward, I don't bang up my legs trying to get in. The smaller wheel is nice too. The hardest part about installing this was getting the old steering wheel off.

sw1.jpg

sw2.jpg

sw3.jpg

Did some finish work on the tube fenders and rear fender wells. Using templates made this job a lot easier than I thought it would be.

tf1.jpg

fw1.jpg

A few people have asked the effect of mounting the tub straight to the frame. There is just enough twist in the frame to cause some buckling on the front end.

fw2.jpg

I can't believe I waited so long to buy this hoist. I should have got one the day we brought the jeep home. This pic also shows the taillight holes. The plasma was another solid investment. It took less than a minute to burn those holes out.

hoist.jpg

Last edited:

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
This would also be a good place to document my fuel setup. I wanted something the size of an RCI2161A, so we could throw a back seat it when that time came. We also had so many issues with our factory fuel pump assembly, I decided to go to an external fuel pump.

The filter/regulator is for a 2000 grand cherokee, Fram PN G8414
Fuel pump is the E2000
The fuel cell was the dilemma. I didn't want to deal with the cracking problems of the RCI2161a, so I went with a 10 gallon Jazz cell, same depth and height as the RCI2161, but a few inches narrower PN JZP-260-010-01.

I found Jegs easier to work with than Summit for the miscellaneous fittings. They seemed to have more in stock.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
It's looking better and better everytime you post a pic. I need to see it in person soon. Maybe I'll get mine done someday and we'll hit a trail. :D

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
A few people have asked the effect of mounting the tub straight to the frame. There is just enough twist in the frame to cause some buckling on the front end.

Is the tube fender tied into the rollcage, or only the body? If they're separate, tying the two together will make the whole thing much more like a solid chassis.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
It's looking better and better everytime you post a pic. I need to see it in person soon. Maybe I'll get mine done someday and we'll hit a trail. :D

Funny you say that. When I read your updates I realize yours will be more finished than mine when it hits the trail the first time.

Nice. I still haven't put my wheel on yet.

Do it, it took about an hour, and I really like the feel of it.

Is the tube fender tied into the rollcage, or only the body? If they're separate, tying the two together will make the whole thing much more like a solid chassis.

The front attaches straight to the grill hoop. The rear ties into the factory fender mounting points. I guess I should have also tied the rear into the A pillar?

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Funny you say that. When I read your updates I realize yours will be more finished than mine when it hits the trail the first time.

Well, my last one wasn't finished until a year before I tore it apart to make the new one. :D Seriously, it's looking awesome.

thenag

Well, my last one wasn't finished until a year before I tore it apart to make the new one. :D Seriously, it's looking awesome.

Yeah my bronco was "done" about a year before the xj started. I guess the rig is never done until you start planning the next one?

nathan
-99 xj 4.0L ax15, np231/d300, d60 lockrite, gm 14 bolt, coils all around and old 37 inch mtrs...

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
The front attaches straight to the grill hoop. The rear ties into the factory fender mounting points. I guess I should have also tied the rear into the A pillar?

That's what I'm thinkin', yep. (and what I'm doing on my Willys, eventually when I start working on it again :p)

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Bump :D

I was finally satisfied with keeping the 4.0/NV3550 long term, and eventually building a buggy. After the roll at the Lucas Regional race, I had an engine knock that developed more with each trip. I thought I was able to kill the motor pretty quick after landing upside down, but oil starvation is cumulative, and we have been on our side/upside down a few times in the last 2 years :ugh: On top of this, our minivan dash has not held up well to the abuse.

swap_zps86594b18.jpg

Most parts are either in hand or en route, just need to get out to the garage and put it all together:

- GM 6.0L LQ4 tune and harness from Wayne and his buddy
- Rebuilt TH400 w/allison TC, reverse manual valve body
- New dash (keeping it as simple as possible; only 4 gauges, no fancy AL work here :()
- Canton Accusump 3qt oil accumulator (no valve)
- Single handle cutting brakes (2in 2out), and jumping on the nylon brake bandwagon (replumbing all 4 corners)

Ideally this will be done in time for KOH, but I'm not going to kill myself to finish by then, I'll just rent a RZR.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Sounds fun! :cool:

use your winch to suck down the front suspension, will make lifting the drivetrain in/out much easier. ;)