Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Goodyear MTR

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Other

Votes: 9 32.1%

• Total voters
P

pokeyYJ

I would like to get the opinions of people here at RME about the BFG Mudterrain KM and the Goodyear MTR. What experiences have you had with either tire. Which one wears longer, which one has better traction in all types of terrian. Which one would you recommend?

sukaB

Banned
Niether--put your money in the bank and run a swamper!!!!!!!!!
Don't worry about tread life you'll be buying another due to sidewall impact as soon as you step foot offroad.
I do have a set of 37x12.50x17's SSR siped for sale?
How much you ask?
$135 a tire!
You say how can that be?????
What the cheap you say!!!!!
I'm passing on the extreme savings due to a city market card.
Thank you Drive thru:D :eek: :D :cool:

P

pokeyYJ

37's are WAY to big for my little YJ. I have had some success with my 31 All terrains but I would like a more aggresive tire, Looking for something in a 32

MattL

just fix that little yj with a little sawzall.

:D

I just got me some 36 swampers. i dont have any off roading on them but for posin they look kinda cool. makes a mud terrain look like a all terrain.

:D

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
BFG muds got nothing on the MTR. you are comparing apples to beerfruit :) now the krawler will be a different story....be sure of that. with the market that the MTR has stolen from BFG, you can bet that BFG will be making a better tire in the KRAWLER!!

NoTrax

New Wheels Big Trax
I think they are both great tires, the KM has got alot of recognition for the Rock area, as far as mud they suck, if you want a rock tire for On and off road go with a KM they last longer, but I have heard good arguments for MTR, they do wear faster tho

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
Originally posted by Shawn
Bla, bla, bla,

There is only one offroad tire. Super Swamper SX.

"Get It"

I think the discussion is all about the true ALL-TERRAIN abilities of these two tires. lets not kid ourselves all terrains as labeled in the tire industry are intended for mostly on road duties but the mud-km and the MTR are the best all terrain tires.

don't kid yourself.....SXs are crap on the street for anything lighter than a 5000lb rig and even then they are not a good street tire!!:D

sukaB

Banned
Bla Bla Bla again Spence,
I thought you were suppeosed to be nice.....
Screw that what about the TRUXUS.
It'll blow away those tires offroad and will last just as long on street,quite and you can buy them cheaper as well
How about a 33x12.20x15 Truxus mud for $120 a tire plus shipping...
At least if your lady gets in your rig and goes to the mall and starts hittin curbs like they always do, You won't have to go cahnge a tire and buy another if it's a SWAMPER
Yah what he said cut those wells out man.....32's:D

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I've had MTR's on my truck for over a year now and they are wearing great. I drive it some amounts on the road yet still air them doen to around 5 psi when I wheel and they work excellent. I have a wheeling buddy that has around 20 k on his and they are still excellent tires. That being said I must say they are NOT for trucks over 5000 lbs. A good freind of mine put them on his 3/4 ton cummins and they wore out incredibly fast, Way to soft for that heavy of a truck.... IMHO!

As far as the various swampers...love em' but couldn't pass up the price of the MTR's vs. the Swampers...

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I run MT/R's for a few reasons:

#1- Road Hazard.
#2- Smooth running Radial.
#3- Offroad performance.
#4- 37 inches baby!

As I have said before, I went thru 3 BFG's over the summer. (Having Road Hazard is a lifesaver on the Wallet, especially when you spend $1200 on tires.)

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
please re-read my post, I was talking about a particular model....the SX. Remember I run the SSRs on my zuk and I LOVE THEM!!! now the SX would be hell on a zuk!!

Originally posted by sukaB
Bla Bla Bla again Spence,
I thought you were suppeosed to be nice.....
Screw that what about the TRUXUS.
It'll blow away those tires offroad and will last just as long on street,quite and you can buy them cheaper as well
How about a 33x12.20x15 Truxus mud for $120 a tire plus shipping...
At least if your lady gets in your rig and goes to the mall and starts hittin curbs like they always do, You won't have to go cahnge a tire and buy another if it's a SWAMPER
Yah what he said cut those wells out man.....32's:D

P

pokeyYJ

So what I'm hearing is the KM is more of a street tire, with the MTR being okay all around. And Swampers being the ultimate offroad. I would like more info on the Truxxus(?) tire. Do they offer it in a 32 what are the tires, radial or bias ply. What about plys, sidewall and tread wall?

ewander

I loved my BFG's. They were great tires. I did all kinds of trails in them and never had a problem with side walls. Of course I am fairly easy on the gas. Now that I am running the 35" MTRs I also like them. It is about 6's at this point for me (although I did vote for the MTRs in the poll). My brother who runs some 33" Swamper TSL radials loves them, but they are wearing out fast. Go with either tire and you will be happy.

NoTrax

New Wheels Big Trax
My brother has been running 31" MTR on his ZJ they wore down to 60-50% pretty fast, so I agree with not putting them on heavy vehicles, he recently put them on his XJ, when they wear out hes going for 33" on the XJ. I run 29.5" Bfg AT and they are AWESOME tires, I run 90% on the road and try to go to moab at least ONCE a year.

I would like to get to the point where I can throw 32" 33" on and go about 6 times a year, right now being unemploed cant do jack!

With the intention of going to Moab alot, I am going to try to get a set of black rock crawler ar767's with at least some 33" tires, havent decided yet but Im leaning on MT'R or KM, or hell SSR if I get a deal like Tracy has. Problem is always money :)

Pick what you think look good for sure, MT/R KM or Trxus or hell SX they are all good, but if your going to ride the street alot on the Rig and its under 4-5K go with MT/R if its a heavier rig get the KM's they seem to last a tad longer, dont count out the BFG AT's either on a light rig like mine you can get 50k + easy out of them. They do wheel VERY well. I smakced the sidewall pretty hard and its taken a small chunk out of them but nothing that's a worry. Oh and my AT's are KO version with the rim protector.

demon jeep

Banned
I just got converted to swampers but out of GYor BFG I would have to say BFG all the way I have been running them since I got my drivers lisence and I have had 0 problems with them until I got a set of those fad tires GY and could not keep them balaced and keep tred on them. the mudders of BFG have not changed gor how long and all good year does is toy around changing this so they will change the mtr and then come out with some thing else all I have to say is stick with what ha sproven it self over MANY years not a short time.

And BFG has 37" also and I have heard of 38" but dont take my word on the 38

NoTrax

New Wheels Big Trax
Mt/R is coming out with a 40" so far Ive only seen the 17" size which is silly.

BFG also is going with something called Krawler in a 40" size I think.

BFG wear alot better than any tire ive seen, the AT's last ALONG time.

P

pokeyYJ

I have a set of AT's, don't get me wrong they are great tires for snow and all around driving but they leave me wanting when I get to stuff that needs the larger lugs to climb, and man do they suck in the mud. The stuff that I play in is so sticky that no amount of tire spin will clean them.

NoTrax

New Wheels Big Trax
so you have Bfg at's? they blow for mud lol, they get all caked in it.

MT/R's suck for mud, so do BFG MT's If you want to cling mud you have to go swamper. There is 0 comparison.

For rocks I think At's do perfectly fine sounds like fromyour other post you dont do hardcore stuff. YOu CAN go with Thornbirds they have nice phat lugs on thm for rocks, but they dont hit the cement when running in town, they also look REALLY cool.

P

pokeyYJ

No I don't do real hard stuff, but I realized that I wanted more aggresive tires when I did Pritchet canyon and coming out my dad with mt/r's climbed right up a ledge and I had to really get on it to get out. Plus the muds look way cooler than the AT's