Big bore kit?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Would I be crazy to blow my budget and buy a new/unused from the dealer 2015 kx450 for 6.5k?

That's a LOT of bike IMO. What kind of riding do you like/want to do? The KX450 is a badass 4 stroke, but it's a monster. You mentioned inseam and seat height, have you sat on a KX? IIRC they're pretty tall.

Cascadia

Undecided
You'll be 8k out the door when all is said and done. That's too much bike for me and I ride and race a lot. But that's just my opinion.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
You need to identify what type of riding you plan to do and buy a bike that will best compliment that style. We can help advise you.

My go to is always to buy a cheaper whatever it is and spend my money DOING that thing or LEARNING to do that thing better.

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
You need to identify what type of riding you plan to do and buy a bike that will best compliment that style. We can help advise you.

My go to is always to buy a cheaper whatever it is and spend my money DOING that thing or LEARNING to do that thing better.

I am still figuring out what I like, but I have loved doing single track and riding around the San Rafael Swell. I did a couple road/dirt trips last year that were a lot of fun too. I realize I don't know what I like, and went saw something shinny I loved it.

Last edited:

Greg

Admin
OK, so singletrack & riding around the Swell. Do you plan to spend any time on the road? How much technical riding do you want/like to do?

Marsh99

OK, so singletrack & riding around the Swell. Do you plan to spend any time on the road? How much technical riding do you want/like to do?

Road time would be just trail to trail, never road trips. Technical sounds fun, but I am a rookie.

Greg

Admin

sixstringsteve

I know you like power, but the KTM freeride is the bike i'll own one day. I think it'd be the perfect bike for 5moh, and it has a super low seat height. It's got tame power though, nothing that's going to blow your socks off. All this is speculation and web-riding. I haven't thrown a leg over one yet (because I'm scared that once I do I'll walk away with it that day).

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Damn son!! I stopped by the ktm dealer on the way home and was killed by the sticker price

Yeah, that's why I don't ride one :(

My thoughts are this: If you want to ride on a motocross track buy an MX bike. If you want to ride trails buy a trail bike. Not saying the KX is a bad bike or the wrong bike (its an outstanding bike and plenty of people ride/race them off road) but an MX bred bike in stock form can be a real handful for a newer rider on the trail imo. Abundance of power does play into it but lack of flywheel weight (stalling engine at low speeds), stiff suspension, limited fuel range, lack of lighting capabilities, no electric start (in some cases), no overflow reservoir, skid plate, kickstand or 18" wheel.. All these things add up.

The KTM EXC / XC line (two or four stroke) or the Yamaha WR's would be at the top of my list. Would the KX work? Maybe, but I would set some money aside for making it a little more trail friendly.

Last edited:

Marsh99

I think you guys all have really great information. Which leads me back to my essential question. I love my current bike minus the lack of power. The year of my bike kawasaki made a klx300 trail bike and klx250 street legal bikes are identical minus the 50 cc. You can actually make my bike a 300cc with all kawasaki stock parts. Thats why a big bore kit was so appealing to me. 600$ for double the torque and 6 more hp.

http://bandbcyclerestoration.com/#3090

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Lots of reliable 300 and 351 KLX's out there.. A pumper carb like the Keihin FCR and a more aggressive cam would really wake it up too.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/the-amazing-klx351.954209/

Like others have said though, you may do all that work and still wish you had a different bike. You may do all that work and fall in love with it. Hard to say. I don't think any engine work you do would increase the resale value.

sixstringsteve

I vote to leave this one stock so you can sell it easier and get the ideal bike for your riding style. Give it a few more rides as is. Maybe I'm just a terrible rider, but it took me years to feel semi-comfortable on a big bike when I couldn't touch the ground. It was a lot of frustration and wasted energy picking it up off the ground all the time on technical trails. If yo u're not riding technical trails, go for it. Riding is one of those sports where rider skill takes a while to get, but it makes all the difference in the world. Personally, I'd still be less exhausted on a lower bike, but if I were a fantastic rider, I'd be ok on a big bike. I'm not a fantastic rider, so I prefer the light, nimble, low to the ground bikes.

Marsh99

Lots of reliable 300 and 351 KLX's out there.. A pumper carb like the Keihin FCR and a more aggressive cam would really wake it up too.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/the-amazing-klx351.954209/

Like others have said though, you may do all that work and still wish you had a different bike. You may do all that work and fall in love with it. Hard to say. I don't think any engine work you do would increase the resale value.

Thats one of the articles i read before buying my klx250. I did a ton of research before buying my klx. Seat height was the biggest factors because it has a 34.8 seat height. I also loved the idea of being able to drop a big bore kit on it and have it still be reliable. I found a 2007 with 1400 miles on it and pre 2009 still mirrored the klx300. I have already put racetech springs on the front and rejetted the carb. I really love the bike. I know I would love a new ktm just hate the price.

Looking at all the price for fun options I am leaning back towards the big bore kit. I know resale price will drop but I will still be less than 3k into the klx total.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 12904

I'm headed out to the knolls with some people next week I'm bringing a drz400 that would likely be similar to a bbk on your bike power wise if you want to come out and ride with us and take it for a spin see what you think.

Marsh99

Today I rode a friends new to him 2012 yz450 with fuel injection. That bike was way to much for me. My friend also has it geared super low, I was scared to hit the gas because the front would lift every time. Today I was scared straight. I still want a little more power but cant handle a mx450 type of bike.

Marsh99

Had a great time riding out at Knolls yesterday. I rode Deviants ktm 300 and loved it. I have decided to list my bike on ksl and if it sells I will buy a bigger bike. If it doesn't sell by march 15th(the day a Bill will have heads and carbs available) I will be ordering the 351 big bore kit and a new pumper carb.