Big bore kit?

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
20160315_062128.jpg

New piston is huge in comparison! Should have this back together by the weekend. Having 3 kids now really limits the garage time.

Marsh99

20160315_181244.jpg

This is what happens when you read inch torque specs as foot torque specs. I heard the bolt snap and my heart dropped. I then backed out the bolt, and some how it was still holding together. New bolts have been ordered and will be here by Friday.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

You are the luckiest man on the planet! I'm glad that didn't snap off in there, and you were able to get it out.

Last edited:

rholbrook

Wow, you are sooooo lucky. Make sure you have a good torque wrench that shows inches, especially when torquing down the cam caps or you could really mess things up.

Marsh99

Wow, you are sooooo lucky. Make sure you have a good torque wrench that shows inches, especially when torquing down the cam caps or you could really mess things up.

This is a cam cap bolt. My torque specifications sheet listed the column as foot pound, but then calls them out as inch pound. Bottom line I order all new cam cap bolts to be safe.

Tonkaman

I can't believe the bolt broke before the hole stripped out! Hopefully the threads in the hole are still usable

Do you need a torque wrench capable of inch pounds? If do I can lend you mine

Marsh99

I can't believe the bolt broke before the hole stripped out! Hopefully the threads in the hole are still usable

Do you need a torque wrench capable of inch pounds? If do I can lend you mine

I had a identical bolt and checked the threads they were still good. I know I was lucky. I am going to need to find a inch pound wrench to use.