BIG buggy build - 4 seat - build with pics

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
I love that style chassis. If I were to ever go w/ a larger rig, I'd probably go that route. It just looks good.

Good job!

Thanks Herzog

The work is tedious and it'll definitely take a while to complete, but it'll be a blast when it's done.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Specs I've found on the motor says approx 310 horse and 365 ft/lbs. I need to have the ECM flashed in order to defeat the VATS system, omit 2 o2 sensors, etc. Supposedly they can also tune the ecm at the same time for an additional 35 - 40 horse & ft/lbs. I'll either use jims performance or wait 4 me performance for the computer and harness work.

Thanks

Sweet, if you can get nearly-400 ft/lbs that thing will move! Have you called Jims & Wait4Me for pricing? I did a few weeks ago, Jims was almost 2x more expensive. After talking to Jim, he does seem a bit more... intelligent?! Jesse Bubb at Wait4Me didn't really impress me. I talked to him & he seemed rushed...? I'll probably go with Wait4Me due to pricing, but I'm curious how the harness will turn out.

I'm hoping for 320hp & 340ft/lbs out of my 5.3l... I'd be happy with that.

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
Sweet, if you can get nearly-400 ft/lbs that thing will move! Have you called Jims & Wait4Me for pricing? I did a few weeks ago, Jims was almost 2x more expensive. After talking to Jim, he does seem a bit more... intelligent?! Jesse Bubb at Wait4Me didn't really impress me. I talked to him & he seemed rushed...? I'll probably go with Wait4Me due to pricing, but I'm curious how the harness will turn out.

I couldn't agree more with you Greg, on all counts. I had the same experiences with Jims and wait4me.

The 5.3 would be great too. I only ended up with the 6.0 out of dumb luck, and picked it up for a song. If I hadn't stumbled across that deal I would be running the 5.3 as well.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
...... It's a "drive by wire" setup so I scavaged the TAC module and throttle peddle along with the engine wiring harness and ECM.

Good call on snagging that.

(still wondering what was so terrible about a $30 cable vs. the $300 sensor and 'drive by wire' dealio)

Last edited:

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Here's another nice buggy build... His turned out REAL big. Nice read if you haven't seen it...

If I remember correctly he also had problems with the drive by wire deal, but it's been a while since I read the thread...

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
Here's another nice buggy build... His turned out REAL big. Nice read if you haven't seen it...

If I remember correctly he also had problems with the drive by wire deal, but it's been a while since I read the thread...

Thanks for the link Wayne.
You're right, that sucker is a GIANT. Super nice fab work though.

I've read through his buildup thread before too. I just combed through it again and the only info I found about the drive by wire setup was where he reccomended against a mix & match of parts from the j.y. or e-bay since not all GM drive by wire systems were the same. I've spoken with some people running this type of system who have all had good experiences. One guy even submurged his multiple times with no problems. I'd really like to hear from anyone that has seen (first hand) problems with the drive by wire system though.

R

rockdog

Greg, talk to TJ. I think he had Jims do his comp and harness. The harness came back all labeled with what went where and looked factory. Guy does kick ass work. I called him on my ford harness and he said all he does is chevs. I ended up doing it myself on the living room floor. Wife freaked. I said its on a blanket, whats the big deal? :ugh:Took me days.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Greg, talk to TJ. I think he had Jims do his comp and harness. The harness came back all labeled with what went where and looked factory. Guy does kick ass work. I called him on my ford harness and he said all he does is chevs. I ended up doing it myself on the living room floor. Wife freaked. I said its on a blanket, whats the big deal? :ugh:Took me days.

Yeah, Jims & Wait4Me are supposed to be the same, product-wise. There's plenty of people that have been happy with both guys work, but if I can get the same thing for a few hundred less, I'll take that route.

kruzr69

I thought you were going to wait until it was done to start the thread. I am glad you didnt, now you dont have to email all the pics to me, I can just check the thread. And it has to be done by next summer so we can get started on mine when I get home.

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
I thought you were going to wait until it was done to start the thread. I am glad you didnt, now you dont have to email all the pics to me, I can just check the thread. And it has to be done by next summer so we can get started on mine when I get home.

Sounds good dude. Can't wait to get it started.

I was going to wait, but weird things happen when I get bored at work. :D

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
Here are some pics of the Corvette exhaust manifolds for Kiel.
FYI, for the 3rd pic, I held the end of the tape measure against the oil pan.

Attachments

• IMG_1089.JPG
    IMG_1089.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1090.JPG
    IMG_1090.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1091.JPG
    IMG_1091.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 57

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
New parts!

4 link bracket from Ballistic Fab.

Cuts are a little ragged. :(
On one of the tabs, the hole is not centered (see top right corner of the 1st pic). The 3rd pic shows the two tabs laid on top of eachother. Notice that the holes are not concentric. One if off by about 1/8"

I mocked it up and it looks like it'll still work fine.

Attachments

• IMG_1086.JPG
    IMG_1086.JPG
    17.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1087.JPG
    IMG_1087.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1088.JPG
    IMG_1088.JPG
    13.8 KB · Views: 33

Herzog

somewhat damaged