Bill the MutTJ

Long story short. This jeep has lots of stuff. Most of it is completely custom. I have lots of cool buddies and family that has helped me along the way to design and build this Jeep. The custom parts far out number what is left of the stock parts. At least it still looks kinda like a TJ

Specs:

Suspension

Low and lots of up travel
3 link front
4 link rear
Summit Machine flex joints
14" Fox 2.0 coil overs
Fox air bumps
Pac Springs
2" 7075 solid aluminum links
108" wheelbase
~18" frame height (I think this equates to about 2" of lift? Ish?)

Drivetrain

5.3L -> 4L80e -> TWF 3 speed Hero

Front axle: Tera CRD 60, 3.5" tubes, Reid inner and outer knuckles, Yukon zip locker, shafts and u joints, TeraFlex SlimLock hubs

Rear axle: later model E350 D60, big tubes, 35 spline shafts, zip locker

Misc
Boat sides

IH Corn Husker steering gear

Front and back halfed frame

2" x .120 wall DOM roll cage

21 gal fuel cell

Raceline Bead locks and 37" mtrs

That covers the big stuff. So much to list. The pics can do the rest of the talking. Let me know if you have any questions or want any more detailed pics and I'll see what I can do. Sorry for the random order. I just grabbed a few out of the many that I have.

3f92ebf9dcb5f79aed5f070af9af6f27.jpg
a903fb77b98d969e62b2bedc2b549d5e.jpg

b02ec1e41b91b04396e0e3eb683510b1.jpg
d7f64182895baa6cc5737c4fd03fcc91.jpg
1828893d3ca9e0419dc09d6088a48015.jpg
7f6b06395536bc2ae02298c52198598b.jpg
1cdeef37c7d0c1ca8d62a8f9ad4d5c09.jpg
cb86b1c16933e19fa48c60a9e1fbe92f.jpg
184557c72acdb195fcb3a94254736008.jpg
e16ed8353da1d9694e113ac6bdb9edd8.jpg

Last edited:

RockChucker

Pretty killer trip with some great company. We ran Helldorado, Strike Ravine, Greenday, I think all of Smashing Pumkins, Minor Threat and the first half of Behind the Rocks on Friday. Made it almost to Rocker Knocker on Pritchett Saturday afternoon when some unfortunate breakage in our group occurred and we had to turn back early.

b3bf9644555d52a0b3af5fb45d2dbaab.jpg

cab9570d5c72879df1a3184c83349e33.jpg

4caca5d30965264b6cd65fcb9a4d004e.jpg

bb477480fa4cfb3ef35718be44177e95.jpg

68a8ce2f8f3bef1d500c0b55c7da5911.jpg

f008569244e56b0976218a3df387c5fc.jpg

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Dave, I have loved seeing your TJ progress over the years! I know in another thread you mentioned that you were inspired by my TJ build... I have to say that you took the idea to a totally new, higher level! It's amazing to see how well your TJ works, very clean work and extremely well thought out. I love it! Makes my miss my old TJ.... :(

RockChucker

Dave, I have loved seeing your TJ progress over the years! I know in another thread you mentioned that you were inspired by my TJ build... I have to say that you took the idea to a totally new, higher level! It's amazing to see how well your TJ works, very clean work and extremely well thought out. I love it! Makes my miss my old TJ.... :(

Thanks! It's been a project. Lots of fun! Lots of work. Most people will never understand the work it takes to build a rig like this. Now that I finally have a rig that drives again, we should hit some trails in Moab.

Bart

Wow, the rig looks great and seems to be working awesome. Nice job on the build. It's fun when you can go wheeling and not have to worry about the stuff that still needs to be done.

RockChucker

I do like the spring rates. But, I definitely need to tune the shocks and get the dual rate timer dialed in. Right now, the shocks are valved pretty light on compression and heavier on rebound (came out of the box that way from Fox). The way the factory tune is, is set more for a heavy spring rate and most of the damping is performed on the rebound.

I did a lot of research on spring rates and how to set them up. Conventionally, spring rates are set using a frequency based on vehicle weight. This conventional method works great for street vehicles that only have a few inches of travel, but falls apart with the long travel that offroad vehicles have. Wayne Israelson from Alltech Motorsports started a spring tech (LINK) thread on Pirate that discusses these concepts. In a nutshell, his method of tuning suspension is based on the springs only supporting the weight of the vehicle with 2-3" of preload, using the lightest springs possible.

There was plenty of argument against this, but essentially a shock is a frequency modifying device, so why not let it do its job and modify the frequency of the softer spring rate? Additionally, there are other benefits from this setup. Due to the preload on the springs, the force extending the shock (pushing the axle down) is greater in the last several inches of travel vs a heavier spring that doesn't have as much preload. The axle will "drop" out faster to get ready for the next event.

The goal behind this Jeep is for an all around rig. When I worked at Teraflex, I realized it's pretty fun to go fast. So, this Jeep will do that. Back to the suspension, right now, it is pretty soft everywhere. There is a little loop out at 5 Mile that Beach runs around that I have been around in this rig as well. I need to get the dual rate timer to enter into the equation much earlier to take full advantage of the dual rate spring setup. After messing with that a bit, I'm fully expecting that I'll need to tear into the shocks and revalve them. Until then, I'll keep rocking it. As it sits right now, I can run the whooped out road paralleling the highway between 40 and 45, I think. It's hard to remember to glance down at the speedo. The rear definitely needs more tuning help than the front. It does bottom out a few times on some of the bigger whoops.

Body roll isn't too bad. Especially considering I only have a trail sway bar on the rear end of the Jeep. I tried to fit one on the front, but there isn't any room. It definitely has less than the Teraflex JK I drove for 18 months or so (similar setup: factory rear sway bar and nothing on the front). I have driven this to work several times. I feel comfortable enough to do 70+ mph with one hand on the wheel. It really drives nice with the longer wheelbase.

Hopefully that answers your questions. It's hard to condense all my research and thought process into a short post.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I'm on board with that thread. I've got a few posts on it from 4 years ago. I wondered because I've got 14" foxes getting ready to go in and 14" 150lb uppers and was deciding on either 200 16" lowers or going with a bigger step up to like 225 or 250 and threading the crossovers down to get into the dual rate earlier. I don't think I'll be able to run a sway bar up front easily either.

Pretty common in the dirt bike world to spring for weight and valve for ride so I'm on board with the theory, but weight on a bike doesn't change as dramatically as on a OHV.

Let me know what you decide on when you swap to heavier compression and lighter rebound valving and we can do some arm chair tuning comparisons.

Last edited:

RockChucker

I think I set some kind of personal record. I've been wheelin 4 out of the last 5 weekends. I don't think I have ever done that before.

Only had minor issues on the shake down run with my jeep the first time out. No issues since other than adjusting tire pressure. It flat works. And it's pretty fun drive to work too :greg:

https://youtu.be/tX_YuGZVIDk

I went out to the SL Offroad expo event yesterday and went wheelin and helped Rawlin McGhie and Chad Schoonover do a little shock tuning on their cars. There was a lot of people out there. Tacoma even made an appearance!

RockChucker

87532cd6bf0d5d1c94bfa61e783df803.jpg

Not the most roomy thing ever. But it's a 4 seater again. The TJ seat was too wide to fit between the shocks, so I picked up a YJ seat from corbeau (for cheaper than a 20+ year old factory seat [emoji15]) and installed it with some Crow lap belts. The TJ seat is for sale if anyone is interested...

RockChucker

I've been continuing to work out the bugs. In the last couple months I've put almost 1500 miles on it driving around town and to work. It sure drives nice. I have a couple ideas to improve the steering response while eliminating the hydro assist. Stand by. It will take time. For those that are interested research non integral power steering.

I really liked the raw metal look on the frame and cage. Unfortunately the linseed oil coating didn't work like I hoped. Everything is patina'ing nicely [emoji15]. So. Time to paint. All the frame and cage are going to be rustoleum black. I've been using the engine enamel lately. Seems like it cures into more of a shell and lasts better. The rest of the jeep...well. It's days as a black jeep are numbered.

And a couple pics. Since threads are worthless without pics.

87a1801df6055f026534f2a0b76caeb6.jpg

Went out on a quick night run up rattlesnake and to Wayne's world last Friday after work with some peeps from work. It was a good time. Even had a feller out for his first time in a 2014 4 door.
Photo credit goes to my pal Davey.

fd9f3161d708b7990779c0d57f458d19.jpg

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
It's always fun to get the new guys out for their first time in their JK, more so if they are good sports about it.

Seriously love this rig.