Box Rocket Offroad Trailer Build

I had a few pictures of my trailer in my Tacoma build thread and had a few people ask for more details on the trailer, so here's a little build thread to hopefully give some ideas to those considering a trailer.

First off, I had no idea what I was going when I started this build. I knew what I wanted but had no experience with anything trailer related. I did lots of research and got some pointers from some good friends with trailers and off I went.

To start I needed an axle. I built the trailer originally to be towed behind my FZJ80 so I had Henderson Wheel on 1700 S and 300 E in SLC build me an axle to match the track width of the cruiser with the same lug pattern.

The basic idea for the trailer was something about the same size as an M416 1/4ton trailer. So I planned on a 4x6' box. I started with some 2.5" square tube and got to work on the frame. Outer dimensions of the frame are 4x6'.

cleaned up the corners

added some crossmembers

I used some 1.5" square tube for the box frame. I decided on 18" tub height. Used some high-tech string to help line them up. :)

Then it was some 1x3" rec tube for the top rails.

More to come........

Box Rocket

bored
I picked up a second tent for the trailer. The Autana tent that I've been using got moved permanently to the truck (until I sold it last week). I got a new Tepui Ruggedized XL for the trailer about a month ago just before Cruise Moab. I'm really liking this tent. The upgrades that come with the Ruggedized models are a noticeable step up. Heavier weight fabric on the tent, an anti-condensation mat, a heavy duty aluminum diamond plate base platform, and larger diameter thicker wall bows all make for a more sturdy and durable tent. The XL that I got is a BIG tent. It can legitimately sleep 4. So now on our family trips the 4 kids will sleep in the tent on the trailer and my wife and I will sleep in the new tent I just ordered for the truck. It makes for a comfortable set up.

First trip with the new trailer tent was Cruise Moab in May.

few more pics of getting it installed on the trailer.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I've been thinking more and more about my future trailer build and went through yours again. Hopefully you can answer a few questions I have about how you built yours and that these aren't terribly silly questions since I am very un-initiated in buying metal or fabrication.

What wall thickness did you use for the 2.5" frame? Is that the same thickness for the 1.5" and 1"x3" as well? Is it pretty standard or do I need to be particular about it when I get closer to buying metal?

Only other thing I have really considered changing from the original design is using some longer leaf springs. The trailer springs have actually worked out just fine despite many people suggesting they are not a good choice.

How would the trailer benefit from having longer springs? Would the trailer have less tendency to bounce on rough roads with different springs? Do you know if it was an option from Henderson to have gotten them longer?

How do you figure out tongue length? You said that you built it long enough to jack knife and clear the tub but whats the way that you figure out that distance? Hook another trail up maybe and jack knife it and measure that way?

I really appreciate this thread and the documentation that you have done on it. I am hoping to make a clone with the exception of maybe making the sides 24" tall rather than the 18" I think you said you did.

Box Rocket

bored
My telescoping rack is going to be removed soon. Since I'm not using a tent with an annex anymore there is no need for the tent to be raised. I will still salvage the platform of the rack, and just cut the legs off. I'll be building a lid finally after 6 years and that will help keep things out of the weather and secure and the tent rack will be incorporated into the lid.

It's good timing anyway since 2 of the gas struts on the rack have failed and I neglected to re-grease the legs after a long trip in the rain and the legs are a little seized up. Rather than do some maintenance on it, it will just come off and get repurposed.

Can anyone recommend a good weatherstipping seal for my lid? I'm thinking a bubble seal rather than something like foam weatherstripping.

Box Rocket

bored
I got a good look at it. I really like the design, what would you change if you built it again?

I don't think I'd really change anything about it if I still needed the telescoping feature. It has worked well (except for the struts that blew out prematurely). It's simple, it works and was stable. Glad you got to check it out. I was kinda all over the place at the BBQ so I didn't get a chance to talk to to many people around the truck.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Just read through this again, I think that makes like sevens times now. Got the welder picked up and now I just need to practice welding before I buy steel and starting cutting it burning it together. I have a pseudo goal have having a trailer copy built by the end of March. We'll see how that goes. Thanks again for the great build thread Adam.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I've got a couple questions about material. Do you remember what gauge tube you used for the frame? I'd guess it was 0.120 for the 2.5" square but I'm less certain about the 1.5" uprights... 0.060 maybe thicker? I'd guess the same thickness for the 1x3 as the 1.5".

I had thought that the receiver tube used the same size tube as the frame but after checking a metal suppliers website it seems that might not be the case. Do you recall what is used or what is standard for his piece?

Finally, I seem to remember in October while we were in Moab that you said you were going to be doing a write up on the off road hitches. Did you ever end up doing that article? Can you link it here?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Box Rocket

bored
I don't remember for sure but I do think I used .120 wall for the frame and 1/4" receiver tube for the tongue. The uprights and rails were .080 and the skins were 20 ga.

I did the article on the hitches it was in TCT Magazine in the November 2014 issue.

CobraNutt

Good article! I love my Max Coupler! My trailer is light enough, thank goodness, that I found it easier to simply pull the drop hitch piece from the receiver on my jeep rather than mess with lining the coupler parts up each time I unhook.

Sent from my mystical handheld gizmo.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Adam did you run into issues using your Cruiser wheels with the trailer hub? Are you running spacers on the Trailer?

Box Rocket

bored
I didn't have any issues at all with the cruiser wheels. Are you having problems? The hub on my axle is not big so there is nothing to interfere with the wheels.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I haven't ordered an axle yet but I've read that I'll need to run the spacers because of the dust cap or something in the center of the hub causes clearance issues with the rim. I'm trying to get all the measurements and spacing needs figured out though so I can order it up.

Box Rocket

bored
I guess you could have some clearance issues with the dust cap if you want to run the center caps on the 80 wheels. I have never run the center caps so I can't tell you whether or not that will be a problem. But a hole saw to cut the center of the center cap for the dust cap to poke through would be quick and simple, and still look clean.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I've got a couple misc questions that I've been chewing on for a week or so.

Fenders. I know you bought yours at State Trailer and needed to use the CJ plastic trim to get extra coverage. I'm wondering how much extra that plastic piece got you? The edge of my tire is 13.5" from the frame and I'm trying to figure out the best (and most economical) way to get the coverage I need.

Second I'm curious about your tongue jacks. I thought I remembered them being Bulldogs but how big are they? Also, where did you get that monster wheel for it? I just don't have any idea on how to figure out how much lift I'll need from a jack.

Thanks and any progress on a lid?