Make, Model & Year of Vehicle-87 suzuki samurai

Engine-1.3 L Stock

Transmission-stock 5 spd

T-Case-stock

Axles-stock

Suspension-stock

Wheels and Tires-15x8, 5on5.5 with goodyear wrangler P235/75R15

Winch-in the future

Favorite Trails-have not gone out yet, once my sami is licensed and everything and once I can convince someone to teach me how to use the 4wheel drive.

Other-I traded a really nice 1970 Yamaha AT1B 125CC that I restored and a laptop for this.
I havent done much due to funds since im going to school but I have doen the following:
*taken the rocker panel moldings off to do some patch work
*ripped out all the carpet and cleaned up the rust
*put bedliner on the inside and outside
*painted the fender flares, grill, mirrors, and roll bar.
*wife reupholstered the rear seat and is working on the front two
*fuel filter, spark plugs&wires, cap&rotor,air filter, all new vacuum lines, heater core hoses, belt, and more tiny things.

Future items:
*2" lift shackles
*2" body lift
*3" lift springs
*2" wheel spacers
*underdrive pulley
*rock sliders
*offroad front and rear bumpers

Attachments

• DSCF2355.jpg
    DSCF2355.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 26
  • Samuri seat 2.jpg
    Samuri seat 2.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCF2348.jpg
    DSCF2348.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

airmanwilliams

thanks. very slowly but its getting there. next couple months I hope to sell my 4:16 tcase gears and gm alternator swap, get a jeep eater yj spring conversion, get some spare doors and make them half doors, make tube fenders, make a front cage and make some rock sliders.

sixstringsteve

what t-case gears are you going to go with? I don't want to tell you what to do on your build, but I think t-case gears should be one of the first mods.

I have a 1985 toyota rear axle I'll give ya if you want it. It doesn't have a third member, but hey, it's free :D

airmanwilliams

well I was going to go with 4:16 gears but im told by numerous people to hold off since my axles have the sidekick 5.12 gears and I guess it would be geared too low for highway use. So I will just go with 6:5 when im able to rebuild a couple toyota axles to swap under this. I was going to put a couple landcruiser axles under this but they would be needed to be modded too much and they were kind of heavy to be putting under this when its a daily driver and not strictly offroad. I would very much appreciate that axle thank you, it will give me a good start to go with.

sixstringsteve

Sounds like a great plan. I'm glad to hear you'll be going to toyota axles. You won't regret it.

The only catch to me giving you that free axle is that I need it gone in the next 3 weeks.

O'neal

?????????
well I was going to go with 4:16 gears but im told by numerous people to hold off since my axles have the sidekick 5.12 gears and I guess it would be geared too low for highway use. So I will just go with 6:5 when im able to rebuild a couple toyota axles to swap under this. I was going to put a couple landcruiser axles under this but they would be needed to be modded too much and they were kind of heavy to be putting under this when its a daily driver and not strictly offroad. I would very much appreciate that axle thank you, it will give me a good start to go with.

I remember my old samurai I had run scout D44's with 5:13's,6.5 t-case on a true 33" tire and it wouldn't hit 5th on the flat's with the go pedal through the floor,just dog right out and that was with a rebuilt 1.3 running a tuned weber.
The only way to find out is to run the 4.1's...there are numerous answer's from everyone who is running gear's at the t-case/diff's about highway usage,the 1.3 dont mind alittle rev and they dont like rolling a heavier mass either and gearing help's in that area.

My wife's tracker is running stock 5:13's and a doubler(sammy 4.1 case) true 32"s,good running 1.6 and it is right on with gearing for the highway...Run's about 4k at 65 and still has abit of trouble pulling the hill's,If anything is overgeared for the highway this thing is.

airmanwilliams

just got a killer deal lastnight on 5-32" goodyear wranglers with 4 worn just past the nubs and 1 still has them all are mounted too but the chrome is bubbly so I will have to sand the wheels down and paint them with some hammered chrome paint.

Dropping the sami off tonight at a buddy's place to get painted all gloss black, im excited but sad I wont see it for a couple weeks since I leave for oregon next weekend and will be gone for two weeks.

Next im hoping I can get rid of my mounted 31's for a decent price and can find someone that has a yj spring conversion mounting kit for a samurai they are taking off and will sell me it for cheap, or find someone that can convert my current 3" deaver spring under to spring over in exchange for the wheels and tires.

Attachments

• 0420111100.jpg
    0420111100.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 0420111100a.jpg
    0420111100a.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 2

airmanwilliams

the start of the prep work for paint. goodbye greent hello gloss black.

IMG_0515.jpg

IMG_0514.jpg

IMG_0518.jpg

IMG190.jpg

IMG_0516.jpg

airmanwilliams

so do I. in person it looks way better than in the pic but I have a black and green rear seat and the wife already got some black and green vinyl to do the front neon seats this summer so I am going to be sticking with the black. I am also having a different friend right now bend and make me tube fender flares with diamond plate laid on top and then plan on trimming the fenders up about 1-2 inches as soon as I can find a place that will carry a wheel well that is about the size of my rear ones so I can replace them.

airmanwilliams

yup my buddy is using his sprayer to do it. Now I need to find some way to get my 32's underneath on a budget so I can go wheeling. wish I could sell the wheels and tires along with my landcruiser axle so I can get a 2" body lift and some 1.5" shackles. I know ive heard it all about the body lift and thank you guys for helping me learn about them but I am going to go against all and get one if I cant get a ott steering, I just need to get these 32's in real soon so I can go wheeling.

airmanwilliams

I dont know im just too anxious to get my 32's on I guess so I can go wheeling. I just need to find some patience and sell my landcruiser axle along with my 2-31" tires and 4-wheels and 31's that are mounted on my sami now so I can get some suspension stuff or atleast a set of 4 yj springs and a z link.

airmanwilliams

Finally finishing up the final coat. I will get more final pics up when my friend texts them to me since im in oregon right now. The tailgate picture doesnt look great in the light at its agle and makes it look like it has lots of dents but in person im told looks LOTS better. The glare on the hood isnt great either but my buddy tells me it has a VERY nice shine to it and it reflecs everything.

IMG225.jpg

IMG224.jpg