Jeep Build- Jeep YJ Unlimited / family wheeler

idahoyj

I've been working on this quite a bit in the last few days. I didn't take many pictures though.
I have the rig sitting on its own suspension and the rear perches are all welded on with shocks etc.
I ended up stretching the rear suspension about 3.5" to sit this low with the 42's. I have the front torn apart again now. I have cut the front cross member out to facilitate moving the steering box forward. Because this rig sits so low, I will be running a "Y link" steering set up. This is adding a lot of extra work.....

Pitman arm/drag link relationship with the tie rod, steering box in the factory location.
CAM00482.jpg

crappy mock-up of the steering concept
CAM00495.jpg

Front cross member gone-
CAM00510.jpg

I also started installing the TJ soft top.
Pic as it sat last night when I called it quits-
CAM00507.jpg

At this point I have put the "Unlimited" part of this build on hold. I am focusing on getting out and doing some wheeling. There are a few things that I need to $ave up for, before I can start the "Unlimited" stretch, a YJ in-tank fuel pump, longer rear drive shaft, and gear install kits for the 14bolt/D60 combo that will go in at the same time.

Last edited:

idahoyj

Nice work, It's looking good.
Thanks, I'm excited to have so much progress lately. I work on it every night after we put the kids to bed. 8:30pm to 12:30-1:00am. I need more sleep.

I have been pushing to get it together this week because our local club is having a run on Saturday 11/30 and I really want to take the kids out and play in the snow a little. The TJ top needs a lot of fine-tuning to fit properly, but since I only plan to run it for a short time until I can do the LJ stretch, it will be fine.
The steering is my last large hurdle left. I have never seen a "Y" link set up built with DOM and rod ends. I'm sure it has been done before. Does anyone have any pictures of theirs?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Thanks, I'm excited to have so much progress lately. I work on it every night after we put the kids to bed. 8:30pm to 12:30-1:00am. I need more sleep.

I have been pushing to get it together this week because our local club is having a run on Saturday 11/30 and I really want to take the kids out and play in the snow a little. The TJ top needs a lot of fine-tuning to fit properly, but since I only plan to run it for a short time until I can do the LJ stretch, it will be fine.
The steering is my last large hurdle left. I have never seen a "Y" link set up built with DOM and rod ends. I'm sure it has been done before. Does anyone have any pictures of theirs?

I don't have a "Y" setup, but why wouldn't it work OK? I use tie rod ends instead of rod ends but in some ways rod ends would be better.

idahoyj

I don't have a "Y" setup, but why wouldn't it work OK? I use tie rod ends instead of rod ends but in some ways rod ends would be better.
My biggest concern is bolting the rod end to (though) the tie rod. Hopefully my buddy that is tapping the ends for the rod ends will be able to machine a threaded insert that I can weld into the tie rod. All of this also means that I will not be using aluminum for the tie rod.

idahoyj

I had been pushing hard on this "build" to take it on our local clubs "Open Run" the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Because of all the rush, I didn't take many pictures. I didn't make it on the run either. At 2am the morning of the run, I had to put the steering box on and tighten up the all of the steering bolts, then bleed the brakes, install the grill/radiator/hood, and load it on the trailer. But then I cross threaded one of the bolts on the steering box and didn't have the right size tap. While I was messing with that, my friend that was staying up all night helping me, was bleeding the brakes. Both front bleeders stripped out...... We didn't have a tap for that either.
So we called it quits and the Jeep sat for a few days in a pile of grinding dust and nearly every tool that I own.
I have since been able to bolt everything together and drive it around a bit. It's a good thing that I didn't take it on the Open Run, because it runs terribly. I thought it was the fuel pump last fall and so I replaced it a couple weeks ago and figured it was all good. I drove it around town last week a bit and once it gets warm, it will not stay running. I can rev it up as high as I want, but as soon as I let out the clutch, it wants to just die. It took me 5 minutes just to get up my short driveway and back into the garage! Any suggestions?

Pictures as it sits-
CAM00576.jpg

CAM00577.jpg

CAM00579.jpg

CAM00580.jpg

CAM00581.jpg

idahoyj

Man, that's one of THE toughest looking YJs. Sucks to hear about the engine troubles.
Thanks! I like it too.
If I can get it running right, I will take the front suspension all back apart, paint it, re-assemble, and go wheeling on New Years day. After that, I plan to do a flat belly skid plate and wheel it a bunch more while I gather the rest of the parts and money for the "Unlimited" part of the build.

Bart

Builds always take unexpected delays, but you're definitely on the right track. I love the front end of it. It looks great and will look even better with the stretch.

idahoyj

Builds always take unexpected delays, but you're definitely on the right track. I love the front end of it. It looks great and will look even better with the stretch.
Thanks!
I like the look too. Its a little Icelandic!
I need to get a bit more uptravel. When you look at the right front fender you can see that its bent up some on the front. That happened just driving around town when i had the stock length shackles. The tires rubbed the fender flares just turning on flat ground. The taller shackles even out the height too though.

idahoyj

I got the Jeep running last Saturday night 1/25 and took it wheeling for the first time in its current configuration on Sunday 1/26. We had a great time. The jeep ran well, finally.
The terrible running ended up being low fuel pressure, only 4lbs.... These things only need about 15. I replaced the fuel pump with an Airtex e8094 which is supposed to make 12-17. I'm sure its only making 12, but I haven't put a guage on it yet.
While wheeling I discovered my next priority for this rig. The transfer case chain is slipping. I need to get it replaced before it blows up and takes out my 4:1. Other than that, maybe some bump stops and a stereo would be nice. I had 2 adult and one 7yo kid in the front, sitting on the bench seat and it really worked out well. If my son would have had his snow boots on, I wouldn't have been able to shift very easily though...

Attachments

• 2014-01-26 10.30.22.jpg
    2014-01-26 10.30.22.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 49
  • 2014-01-26 10.30.45.jpg
    2014-01-26 10.30.45.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 2014-01-26 11.47.43.jpg
    2014-01-26 11.47.43.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 2014-01-26 11.48.38.jpg
    2014-01-26 11.48.38.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 2014-01-26 16.47.30.jpg
    2014-01-26 16.47.30.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 48

idahoyj

Here are a few "flex" shots from my neighborhood the night I got it running. Not much flex yet. Its not lifting the tires or anything, but the stuffed tires are rubbing on sheet metal both front and rear in these pics. I went back home and hammered a little more room for the rear fenders before I went wheeling the following day.

Attachments

• 2014-01-25 17.41.17.jpg
    2014-01-25 17.41.17.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 2014-01-25 17.41.36.jpg
    2014-01-25 17.41.36.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 2014-01-25 17.41.47.jpg
    2014-01-25 17.41.47.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 42

idahoyj

Great looking rig.
Thanks, it is so nice to finally get out and wheel!
I still have a lot of finish up work to do on the front fenders. I think I will have to trim the flares too. They rub the tires just driving around town.... Mostly in the front edge by the marker light. The tires are doing a good job of self clearing though!

idahoyj

I finally got the Tcase chain changed out. And I installed my lockright in the front axle. I went wheeling yesterday and this thing is a blast! I crawled all over the place.

I have 2 limiting factors that I really want to improve-
Gear ratio
Belly clearance

I have 5.38s to put in the front 60 and into a 14 bolt rear that I bought a while back, but I need to save up some $$ for the install kits and misc parts required for the axle rebuilds.

When I had the Tcase out last week I removed the 1.5" drop spacers from the stock skid plate. They were still installed from when this Jeep was 8" taller. That definitely helped belly clearance but I still got hung up a few times. I think a flat skid plate and maybe some UHMW would be a huge improvement for me. What does everyone recommend? I'm thinking 1/4" plate and 3/8 UHMW. But that's a lot of weight. Could I get away with thinner material? Is the UHMW worth the cost and time for a recreational wheeler like me?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I'd had great luck with my Teraflex steel skid. It's plenty heavy without the UHMW. If I were competing, I'd probably use the UHMW. For rec use, not really concerned about it.

idahoyj

I'd had great luck with my Teraflex steel skid. It's plenty heavy without the UHMW. If I were competing, I'd probably use the UHMW. For rec use, not really concerned about it.

What mbryson said.

The Tera skid looks nice, but WAY out of my price range.
I'm just going to have to build one. I'm thinking 1/4" but really want to just do 3/16" for weight. I'm afraid I will regret 3/16" though.

Thoughts on 1/4 vs 3/16?

Love the looks of your Jeep. Looks like a great climber with a low CG.
Thanks!
Im pretty happy with it for now. It does climb pretty good. With leaf springs, I don't have the best approach angle. And being this low, I don't have have great break over clearance either. But considering all that it's a fun rig.

I really like just picking off a project or two at a time instead of doing a complete tear down and build over years and years!

1993yj

Barnes 4wd has some nice skid plates for reasonable prices. I was able to get their flat one and with a clocking ring tuck my Tcase up without a body lift.