Ford Build Thread: FrED the Ford. '98 E350 7.3 4x4 The More We Explore's Adventure Van

sixstringsteve

Good points. The biggest issue with my van's ride is the short leaf springs up front, and the reverse shackle. It does really good at preventing body roll, but the springs are so short that every little dip feels bigger than it is. I've bottomed out more than once on the street. The back feels fine.

Airbags are a viable option for us in the future. Once we decide on a trailer we'll be making adjustments as necessary.

sixstringsteve

Anyone got any tips for getting the long d60 axle shaft back in to the axle and carrier without knocking out the inner axle seal?

sixstringsteve

Dangit, I don't have either of those. :(

I was able to get it in with the help of a pry bar on the bottom of the axle tube.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I totally lucked out. I tried for about 20 min, took a break, and came back and it popped in in 2 seconds. I need to remember to take breaks more.

sixstringsteve

we're working on the graphics/logo that we'll be putting on the van. We're thinking of glow-in-the-dark vinyl. Would that be illegal in Utah to drive around with glow in the dark signage on your rig? It won't be reflective.

sixstringsteve

Sweet, thanks for posting that. You don't see many leaf-sprung sportsmobiles these days. That interior is fantastic, I'd LOVE something like that. I'll be incorporating a few of those ideas. Thanks for the heads-up.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
For some cool ideas check out uro-camper on IG. He is in Spain and has some really cool features in small taco based campers.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

sixstringsteve

Well, after 15 pages of no pics and tons of helpful advice from you guys, it's time for me to actually contribute something. I'll be getting the exciting stuff posted soon, but I thought I should start from the beginning: why we purchased a van.

[video=youtube;PawUJiqrCkI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PawUJiqrCkI[/video]

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Episode 2: Meet Fred. This is a repost of an older video, but it makes sense to put it in this series, as it tells the story nicely.

[video=youtube;wabzeQLxX00]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wabzeQLxX00&index=2&list=PLWysv3wFKyy6D8gj8lWmAuB7B--nAeSOT[/video]