Jeep Building the RockyMountainExtreme.com Jeep Wrangler

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Looking Sweet. :cool:

nice, high pinion. Sweet work so far greg! Awesome work!:)

Nice build. I want to monitor this one. Blingin front axle for sure.

Thanks guys, it's going to be a great Jeep once it's done.

What the hell? Did you win the lottery or something? I know, I know, you've got hookups at tera flex. :D I'm gettin close Greg. Your gonna have'ta take me on 21 road this fall, so keep working on it. Hell the rate I'm going you might beat me.:rofl::rofl:

Hey now, I've been gathering parts for years... literally! Selling my 4Runner helped a ton, I had a bunch of the big parts purchased already but the cash from the old rig made the difference.

Finish up your rig & we'll hit 21 Road this Fall! I'll be ready... you? :p

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
wow... i've not seen this thread.. i'm rarely on here.

i'm excited to see the finished product greg... good luck with it all..

-Jason

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Well, good to see you slumming. When are you coming back?

i hop on once in awhile... i'll be back last week of september... then i'll be putting in a new engine.. hint hint... so, maybe i'll see some of you guys around then;)

-Jason

TELFORD

its a work in progress
looking forward to seeing new posts. I am in the process of gathering parts for a similar build. I am going to use an an unlimited long arm kit as well to strech my tj, I am hopeing for something thats a cross between yours and Barts. I am glad I get to see a few others before I start digging into mine. Show us some more progress pics already!

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Lookin' good! Well, all the parts are anyway. I bet they will look even better on the completed rig! :D

FWIW my rear D60 is ~65" and I'm running 4" BS 8" wheels with 39" tires and they rub the coilovers, quite a bit too on full stuff. Which are not that far away from the frame rails. So you might have troubles with the 62" axle.

To fix mine, I thick I might be moving the coil overs inside the frame rails foraward of the axle and back (make sense? ..along the same lines as the driveline).

As for coil overs on/off road, I have no issues with mine and body roll. It was a long time before I had my anti rock hooked back up in teh front, with nothing in the rear. I even tow a 3k lb travel trailer. I've had opportunity to take some pretty hard lines with it and it's worked great. I haven't even noticed any unloading. I only have about 2-3" of up travel, with the rest down - so lots of suspension travel. I think it's all in the way the coil overs are setup (compression and rebound valving) and what spring rates you use.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Lookin' good! Well, all the parts are anyway. I bet they will look even better on the completed rig! :D

FWIW my rear D60 is ~65" and I'm running 4" BS 8" wheels with 39" tires and they rub the coilovers, quite a bit too on full stuff. Which are not that far away from the frame rails. So you might have troubles with the 62" axle.

To fix mine, I thick I might be moving the coil overs inside the frame rails foraward of the axle and back (make sense? ..along the same lines as the driveline).

As for coil overs on/off road, I have no issues with mine and body roll. It was a long time before I had my anti rock hooked back up in teh front, with nothing in the rear. I even tow a 3k lb travel trailer. I've had opportunity to take some pretty hard lines with it and it's worked great. I haven't even noticed any unloading. I only have about 2-3" of up travel, with the rest down - so lots of suspension travel. I think it's all in the way the coil overs are setup (compression and rebound valving) and what spring rates you use.

Good info, but I don't think he's going to have any problems rubbing coilovers--old school low-tech coils and shocks are going on this thing. ;)

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Good info, but I don't think he's going to have any problems rubbing coilovers--old school low-tech coils and shocks are going on this thing. ;)

Right, but I did notice he talked about possibly doing it one day.... Like I said, FWIW :D

Ninja edit: I'd have to measure my tire-frame clearance, but I don't think I have 1.5" (which is the difference between his 62 and my 65" axle.
I think the black steelies (the rims) are like 4.5" bs, too, making it even more tight.

Last edited:

GOAT

Back from the beyond
Right, but I did notice he talked about possibly doing it one day.... Like I said, FWIW :D

Ninja edit: I'd have to measure my tire-frame clearance, but I don't think I have 1.5" (which is the difference between his 62 and my 65" axle.
I think the black steelies (the rims) are like 4.5" bs, too, making it even more tight.

I mentioned this a couple of pages back. 62" is way narrow for 40s and a stock tub.
I am keeping mine at 68" in the rear and 69" in the front and running 5.5 BS rims.
Bluetorch Fab makes an awesome rear frame section for TJs to overcome the clearence issues Wayne mentioned.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
looking forward to seeing new posts. I am in the process of gathering parts for a similar build. I am going to use an an unlimited long arm kit as well to strech my tj, I am hopeing for something thats a cross between yours and Barts. I am glad I get to see a few others before I start digging into mine. Show us some more progress pics already!

Not much progress at this point, just a lot of cutting bracketry off & grinding. I'll have to post up a pic of everything that's been chopped off. Control arm brackets, steering box mount, motor mounts, track bar mounts, etc, etc. Thanks goodness for plasma cuttters!

The Atlas has been bolted to the TH350 and I'm ready to bolt the 5.3l engine to the transmission, but the cutting/grinding was more important at this point. I'd like to get the Jeep rolling before I drop the engine/trans/t-case in.

Lookin' good! Well, all the parts are anyway. I bet they will look even better on the completed rig! :D...

Yep, it's like a stack of Legos, now I just need to start putting the pieces together!

I mentioned this a couple of pages back. 62" is way narrow for 40s and a stock tub.
I am keeping mine at 68" in the rear and 69" in the front and running 5.5 BS rims.
Bluetorch Fab makes an awesome rear frame section for TJs to overcome the clearence issues Wayne mentioned.

I've been looking at the rear frame section with my axle under the Jeep and my wheels bolted on. I have about 2" between the back of the wheel & the coil bucket. Definitely not enough room. It doesn't help that the wheels I wanted have tons of backspacing. I might cut the welds on the dish of the wheel & reduce the BS by 1.5-2". I've thought about fabbing my own rear frame section as well, looks easy enough.

GOAT

Back from the beyond
Not much progress at this point, just a lot of cutting bracketry off & grinding. I'll have to post up a pic of everything that's been chopped off. Control arm brackets, steering box mount, motor mounts, track bar mounts, etc, etc. Thanks goodness for plasma cuttters!

The Atlas has been bolted to the TH350 and I'm ready to bolt the 5.3l engine to the transmission, but the cutting/grinding was more important at this point. I'd like to get the Jeep rolling before I drop the engine/trans/t-case in.

Yep, it's like a stack of Legos, now I just need to start putting the pieces together!

I've been looking at the rear frame section with my axle under the Jeep and my wheels bolted on. I have about 2" between the back of the wheel & the coil bucket. Definitely not enough room. It doesn't help that the wheels I wanted have tons of backspacing. I might cut the welds on the dish of the wheel & reduce the BS by 1.5-2". I've thought about fabbing my own rear frame section as well, looks easy enough.

If all else fails, grab some spacers from Ebay. I have them on mine and Jenn's jeep and so far, they've been great. My rear 70U is 65" WMS and I am going to add some 1.5" spacers to compensate.

The rear frame section isn't that bad to fab up. The only drawback is that TJ frames are 2.5" wide and all box tubing is 2". You'll end up having to space it down to work with 2x4x3/16 to make it work. Ask me how I know:greg:

Good luck man! I hope to see you out this Fall.