Building TURBO system for YJ

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
Ok, I finished the mounting bracket for the turbo and most of the turbo outlet adapter pipe.

How to mount the turblo is something I put a lot of though into and I think this will work out well. The weight of the turbo needs to be supported (by something other than the exhaust piping) since it's cantilevered out in front of the engine and the Jeep routinely experiences extreme vibrations and jolts. The mount is made out of 5/8" stainless round bar and 1/4" stainless plate and is triangulated to some of the few points I had that would work. I can stand on the mount and jump up and down and it seems to remain completely rigid.

WP_20160818_002_zps4pnxkggl.jpg

WP_20160818_001_zpsxonzcb3e.jpg

WP_20160817_006_zpszkeypfve.jpg

WP_20160817_008_zpso3v77dqb.jpg

On this part the bar goes through the gusseted plate and presses up against the head so it cannot flex inward.

WP_20160817_019_zps3kadewyc.jpg

WP_20160819_008_zpstoluejyr.jpg

WP_20160819_011_zpsliagv41x.jpg

WP_20160819_016_zpsxwvcea2r.jpg

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
I actually recently came across a guy who notified me that because my belt was cracked it might break and my engine's valves would hit the pistons.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I actually recently came across a guy who notified me that because my belt was cracked it might break and my engine's valves would hit the pistons.

This is true, because the sudden decrease in drag would free up so much raw horsepower that your motor would accelerate with wild abandon, and your pistons would translate up to heaven as the white hot super metal gods they have always dreamed of becoming. I think.

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
Got all the piping all done and welded.
I think the only real fabrication left is welding an oil drain return bung to the oilpan, then it's just wiring gauges etc.

WP_20160821_008_zps54gnw7lc.jpg

WP_20160821_011_zpsixcgs5o7.jpg

WP_20160821_012_zpsfllwfvfw.jpg

WP_20160821_032_zpscifqdcst.jpg

WP_20160822_010_zpsfynmn9zn.jpg

WP_20160821_044_zpsb8dhd3h2.jpg

WP_20160822_001_zps5jvzi3kc.jpg

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
Well I've got er running on 2-3 psi. :greg:

I had the wastegate initially modded to 5-6 psi. I added a spring on the actuator rod that opposes the internal spring thus reducing the amount of boost needed to move the rod. The downside is that you lose some travel, but it got the boost down to 2-3psi so it worked out well. I can just thread in the rod end a few turns to increase the boost up to ~7psi (or more by reducing the spring preload).
Boost started building very seamlessly off idle at 1500rpm, and was 3psi by 2000rpm, and will probably be at a full 7psi by round 3000rpm I'm guessing. This is about perfect since I only ever rev the motor to 4500rpm since it hates revving.
I'm getting my MSD BTM ignition box from a buddy soon which will pull timing with boost, then I'll just need an FMU for fueling. I'm also going to put a temp gauge in the intake pipe and see what the IAT's are and decide if methanol/water injection is worth it.

WP_20160826_004_zpsi67tna0j.jpg

Had to get a little creative to make the turbo oil drain work well enough for a Jeep that see's extreme tilt angles, since the exhaust pipe was blocking access to the oilpan.

WP_20160826_008_zpsf5bxyzhb.jpg

WP_20160826_012_zpspqxb9hyu.jpg

Hardline section and barbs for the hose section.

WP_20160826_015_zpswwwhcb7z.jpg

Oil returning to the high spot on the bottom of the oilpan (forward of the sump).

WP_20160827_012_zpses4zdfeo.jpg

Water cooling lines hooked up too.

Last edited:

muleskinner

Well I've got er running on 2-3 psi. :greg:

I had the wastegate initially modded to 5-6 psi. I added a spring on the actuator rod that opposes the internal spring thus reducing the amount of boost needed to move the rod. The downside is that you lose some travel, but it got the boost down to 2-3psi so it worked out well. I can just thread in the rod end a few turns to increase the boost up to ~7psi (or more by reducing the spring preload).
Boost started building very seamlessly off idle at 1500rpm, and was 3psi by 2000rpm, and will probably be at a full 7psi by round 3000rpm I'm guessing. This is about perfect since I only ever rev the motor to 4500rpm since it hates revving.
I'm getting my MSD BTM ignition box from a buddy soon which will pull timing with boost, then I'll just need an FMU for fueling. I'm also going to put a temp gauge in the intake pipe and see what the IAT's are and decide if methanol/water injection is worth it.

Had to get a little creative to make the turbo oil drain work well enough for a Jeep that see's extreme tilt angles, since the exhaust pipe was blocking access to the oilpan.

WP_20160826_008_zpsf5bxyzhb.jpg

Water cooling lines hooked up too.

Very nice!

Did you have much trouble getting your torch on the under side of this fitting to weld?

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
Rarely... If possible, it helps to orient the part directly below the torch since argon is over 2x heavier than air.
I've welded deep inside joints before with the tungsten sticking out 1.5 inches; the argon doesn't really have anywhere to go except further into the joint.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Congrats on getting up and running! Sounds like the boost comes on right about where planned, very cool! Love seeing that downpipe with a little blueing on it from heat!

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
lol. Trying to make a wrangler fast makes absolutely no sense what so ever... (and double especially since I already have a fast car).

Last edited:

RogueJeepr

Here!
I know. Just giving ya some shit.
We had our 2.5 YJ for about 10yrs before getting a 4.0xj . Sometimes I wish I would have gone v8 .....so the snowball continues.

Top notch work on the turbo. Looks great.

S-10Dave

I second that, I totally agree with that last post. Your work looks good, but since hp is an addiction, you may as well just start with a thousand horse turbo v8 in a capable chassis, which is exactly what I finally started doing.
Finish this one, use it to showcase your skills, and make money doing the same work for others. There's high demand for high quality results, and it pays very well.