Can we talk dogs?

Tonkaman

Something I'd think about too was when you go out camping with the whole family. Where will the dog travel? In the cab, in the bed (but you've got your RTT mounted there), are you going to leave them home while you guys go play? Are you going to be able to fit a big dog in the cab with the family? I know standard poodles aren't as big as my great dane but still I'd think about that a bunch before I bought one.

Good points there Nate. I plan to be an involved owner who included his dog as much as possible. I think that's the best chance for positive results.

Camping is something I really look forward to involving a dog in. I had planned to make him a spot in the back seat, possibly even a platform. Am I underestimating the space he will need?

Tonkaman

^ this. I think Fender's the perfect size (I think he's the perfect everything, but what dog owner doesn't think that about their dog?)

I'd also double-check to make sure your girl isn't allergic to any dogs. That'd be terrible to bond with the dog, then have to give it away.

Elaina is allergic to over 120 things we've diagnosed, but luckily dogs aren't one of them!

I don't mind medium sized dogs, in fact fender seems like a great size. I looked into Xolos a bit and it seems they can't be alone and can't handle a bustling household. Steve, Have you found all the negative attributes listed about Xolos to be accurate?

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I think how much room a dog is going to need will depend a lot on the specific dog you get, not only the breed. I figured that you'd want to take it with you camping and include it in your family activities which I think is great. Charlie doesn't mind going on trips but he won't sit down until he is super tired, like at least a day or two into a trip. Otherwise he just stands there and pants as close to my ear as he can. In the Jeep it was slobber on my shoulder close, in the LX there is more space and a bigger buffer but Elis car seat is in the splash zone. I have taken him out since he was a pup but he still is nervous and wants to see whats going on when there are bumps. I don't know how you can get a dog to be okay sleeping while bouncing down the trail. A platform or just a dedicated spot should be nice but again, how much space they'll need might be a sliding scale. I can't say I've been around any standard size poodles though so I doubt I've got the right size in mind. I think a Fender size dog would be pretty ideal though, especially for the back seat of your taco. I just looked up Xolos, thats not what Fender is, is he? They look....odd. lol.

sixstringsteve

Elaina is allergic to over 120 things we've diagnosed, but luckily dogs aren't one of them!

I don't mind medium sized dogs, in fact fender seems like a great size. I looked into Xolos a bit and it seems they can't be alone and can't handle a bustling household. Steve, Have you found all the negative attributes listed about Xolos to be accurate?

Fender is fine being alone. He prefers being with people, but he just sleeps on the bed 8 hours a day while we're at work. He doesn't love a crazy, bustling household, that's for sure. He's fine with up to 5 people, but when there's a party he goes and sleeps on his bed for some alone time. Xolos are also extremely intelligent, which means you have to be the alpha dog consistently more than with a traditional breed. You have to stay on them and really train them for the first 6 months, or they'll test your limits. If you're on the ball, they'll be the best dogs ever. If you drop the ball for a month or two, they'll make you work to get some structure again. They're fiercely loyal to their pack (one or two people), but they are wary of strangers and new people. He takes a while to warm up to people. Fender took 3 years to warm up to me to where he wanted to be pet for more than 30 seconds.

Fender can sleep on the couch all day for a week, or he can run a marathon every day. He has the perfect amount of energy. He doesn't tear stuff up, chew furniture, or act out. He doesn't lick (though Tess' sister's Xolo licks), shed, or slobber. Coated Xolos, the ones with fur, are pretty different between dogs. Fender's fur is super soft, but his cousin's hair is like a lab (and I'm allergic to his cousin). Fender is an intermediate size xolo (medium). Small Xolos are 10 lbs, intermediate are around 30-35 (fender is 30 lbs), and the full size xolos are 50-60 lbs (his cousin is full size). As far as I know, there are only 4 xolos in Utah. They're pretty tough to find here.

If I don't give him boundaries and rules, he stresses out, because he's not sure if I'm the Alpha dog anymore and he takes the Alpha role and starts stressing and worrying about things like boundaires, strangers, food, etc. I hear greyhounds are similar in that they can be couch potatoes, but run 30 miles the next minute. Most dogs with a lot of energy/endurance (like huskies) can't sit still and either end up running away or tearing your house apart if they don't get a ton of exercise.

You're smart to be researching breeds, that's super important. Xolos definitely aren't for everyone. If Fender died and I weren't on the road full time, I'd get another Xolo in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

Tonkaman

Great feedback, thanks Steve!

The most frustrating part of it all is the inconsistent information. It's funny how certain sites are more subjective than others almost trying to steer you away from certain breeds and blindly leading you toward another.

The research continues...

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Everyone has a favorite breed, and everyone will defend their favorite breed and tell you why its the only breed you should have. Do your research on temperament/traits and go with what you think will fit.

As far as room in your truck. Our previous German Shepherd was large for her breed, healthy weight was in the upper 80's. She preferred the entire back seat to herself, but could be comfortable with 2/3's of it. I did have just a two door full size for a number of years, and she would be okay in the middle of the bench. Would get a little grumpy about being cramped on longer trips but for the most part didn't mind. I'm hoping our newest edition will be in the mid 60's-70lb range.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I have 3 Australian Shepard/ blue healer mix's. They are awesome dogs. They are super smart and mid sized. I would (and have) get another one in a heartbeat. They have all been really great with kids and are not aggressive with other dogs. They are active and can be a handful but mine both lay around the house until it's time to bike or hike. The downside is they do shed, a lot.

My BIL was K9 cop and had a German Sheppard that bread with his Police dog. Now all my inlaws have German Sheppard/Malinois mix's. They are really smart, not to big and don't shed as much. The three that I have been around aren't very aggressive either. If I didn't love Aussies so much I would have a Malinois in a heartbeat.

Fender is a cool dog but I think whatever dog Steve had would be cool just because of all the adventure it gets to go on. What dog would be a jerk when it gets to run and bike and hike and camp?

Tonkaman

I just re-read this whole thread, lots of good info in here.

My daughter is 5 and has been begging for a dog for over a year. I think every kid deserves to know the responsibility and companionship that a dog brings, so I think I'm ready to get a dog again. I haven't had a dog since I was a kid, and those dogs just lived outside with no rules. This time around I really want to focus on having a very well trained dog and training myself to communicate well with the dog.

After doing research I've decided I'd like a standard poodle. The bad part about that breed is the expense! I could really save by going through a rescue, but that worries me a bit.

Bringing in an adult dog seems like I won't be able to train it the way I'd like. On the flip side it could be well trained and save me a huge head ache. What's everyone's opinion on rescue dogs vs puppies?

What's everyone's favorite training books/videos? I was going to order Ceasar Milans training videos but wanted other input first. I know there are thousands of dog training videos on YouTube, should I just focus there?

Well today I finally gave in and bought a dog. She's a beautiful silver brindle Standard Poodle. She's 12 weeks old and has been raised in a home that happens to be a proffessional dog trainer. Honestly I'd love to let them train her for another month or two, but it just doesn't work that way.

Here she is with her new best friend
9948177c2b7b652283bd92e95680b8a9.jpg

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
i've got a golden doodle, and he's awesome. Just wants to keep his love tank full at all times and is so eager to please, that if you scold him once about anything, he'll never do it again. I'm sure the full poodle will have lots of the same characteristics.

Tonkaman

Whats her name?

In not sure what her full registered name is, but we call her Izzy. The previous owner planned to keep her for breeding, but had some life circumstances that changed things. They already sent in all registration papers and I'll get them in a couple weeks.