Can we talk dogs?

ID Bronco

I kept telling her I really didn't want a dog, but she kept telling me she really did, so we compromised and got a dog.

Max is a five year old black lab - he's been my sister in law's dog but she couldn't keep him and my wife wanted to help her out so I guess he's ours now. He's mostly mellow - he gets a little too excited about walks and playing ball and likes to talk back and get passive aggressive when he doesn't want to do what he's told, but he's generally pretty chill. Doesn't appear to have an aggressive bone in his body, he won't even wrestle, so he'll make a crappy guard dog but I'll feel a lot better about him around kids and other pets.

He likes to hike, and apparently my brother in law took him hunting a couple times (I don't know if he's got any formal retrieval training?) but he's never been camping. He's going to make the tent a lot smaller, I think. Smellier too.

View attachment 110017

Ha ha. I like how optimistic you sound

Honestly skipping puppy phase sounds awesome!

The last two dogs I have gotten have been at least 1 year old labs. I love skipping the puppy stage. They take a long time to find a good one, but that's how I prefer it. Nice looking dog

Tonkaman

Brickyard Animal Hospital. 1213 E 3300 South in Salt Lake. 801 486-0123.

I took Izzy in yesterday for a general health checkup and vaccines. She absolutely loved her first trip to the vet! Everyone there was so great to work with and pleasant to talk to.

Anyone who is looking for a vet, look no more! Brickyard Animal Hospital is great!

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
We took our pup to the Humane society for her 8 week shots and deworm yesterday. Her first poop later in the day was full of round worm. Google tells me that 98% of puppies have worms, but I am still quite concerned.
Further google says that a pot belly can be a sign of significant worms. Our pup does have a slight pop belly, but I figured it was typical puppy belly. My wife disagrees.

Thought?

I assume I will be making a trip to our resident Vet in the near future..

Tonkaman

We took our pup to the Humane society for her 8 week shots and deworm yesterday. Her first poop later in the day was full of round worm. Google tells me that 98% of puppies have worms, but I am still quite concerned.
Further google says that a pot belly can be a sign of significant worms. Our pup does have a slight pop belly, but I figured it was typical puppy belly. My wife disagrees.

Thought?

Creepy dude

Houndoc

Thought?

It is hard to know how much of a pot belly is too much! Yes, most puppies do have round worms and regular dewormings are important.

- - - Updated - - -

I took Izzy in yesterday for a general health checkup and vaccines. She absolutely loved her first trip to the vet! Everyone there was so great to work with and pleasant to talk to.

Anyone who is looking for a vet, look no more! Brickyard Animal Hospital is great!

Glad you came in and had a great experience. Always good to hear. Thanks for the kind words.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
My little homie turned 1 a few weeks ago. He's awesome, doesn't shed, doesn't bark, doesn't run from me when he's not on a leash. I know some people bitch about "designer" dogs amidst the need for so many dogs to find homes, but I wanted something fairly specific and hate dog hair everywhere. I couldn't be more happy with this little ball of fluff.

Attachments

• IMG_20170809_210533.jpg
    IMG_20170809_210533.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 34

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
Looking for some advice:

Our little puppy is doing great. very happy, very playful... and very stubborn at times.
She is a very vocal dog. Not the nuisance vocal (like barking at everyone who walks by) but vocal in a communication way. If she wants in or out, she'll bark, wants food or drink she will walk to the bowl and bark, if she is unhappy about being in the kennel we will hear about it for an hour or so..

If she is laying down and doesn't want to be bothered she will growl. It's usually when the kids try to hug her while she is sleeping. Last night I tried to move her from her favorite bean bag into her kennel for bed. She had been sleeping on the bean bag for about 2 hours already. She gave me a very stern growl that said she was not happy to be being moved. Her mouth is always closed, no teeth are shown.. but its a fairly intimidating growl. I told her that she did not have the right to growl at me, and I made her get up anyway.

I have ever had a dog as vocal as her, and have never had a dog that would growl at me for anything.

So my question is whether or not the growling is just her communication, or a more serious problem.. and how do we prevent it either way?
Thoughts?

Houndoc

Sounds like we could have some dominance issues brewing. Luckily usually pretty easy to deal with when young. You may want to consider working with a trainer, especially with kids in the house.

Tonkaman

I don’t know how you’ve been disciplining, but I wouldn’t let that crap happen. My dog makes noise and immediately gets reprimanded.

I could give you the number to the trainer we got Izzy from. I know she makes house visits.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
This is hard for me to share, but our Weim Daisy isn't doing well. She's now 12 yrs old, we found her from someone on here, actually. We got her shortly after moving to Colorado and she has been very well traveled thru her life! She has been to Baja, over Imogene and Black Bear, down the Hole in the Rock trail, has seen plenty of Moab trails, etc.

Starting this Fall, she started having problems with her rear legs working... we took her into the vet and he said it's a nerve problem, combined with some arthritis.... not much we can do about the nerves. She had been getting around OK, but in the last week it's progressed for the worse and her mobility is limited. She struggles to eat, drink and go outside to use the bathroom. The hardest part is that she is still mentally sharp and how this hit overnight. We took her into the vet again this week and got some meds that are helping a little, but it seems like it's just a bandaid. Now we're struggling with the idea of putting her down.... at what point is her quality of life more important than the pain and suffering? That's what we have to decide... and it's not an easy decision. We don't have children, Daisy has been our furry kid for 12 yrs... accepting that she won't be around much longer hasn't been easy.

:(

100_7815%20%28Medium%29.jpg

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
That is never a fun time. Sorry Greg. I knew some people once who had a blind dog, that couldn’t walk, had to be syringe fed, and had a tough time even breathing. I (in my all knowing, unemotional teenager years) said the dog should be put down, and all hell broke loose. I still stand by my opinion, but believe my approach might have been a little better ;)
However, they were so emotional about the dog, that they litterally were watching it suffer to death and the expense of their selfish need. Because of that experience, I am a little too quick to put a dog down.. I sort of joke that my last dog was old and coughed funny, so I put him down.. but it’s not too far from reality.
My point is, I lean towards minimal suffering of the dog, even though it is difficult for us.

Greg

Admin
Dang that's tough : ( give her some medicinal Colorado oil drops :)

Ha sorta kidding, but then again might be worth trying anything at this point.

I'm not sure how Dogs would react to CBD's, but even then seems like the main thing they do is relieve pain. Daisy isn't in much pain, but she's already on Gabapentin and it seems to help with any pain she may be having. Now also taking Vetprofen, which is an anti-inflammatory.

That is never a fun time. Sorry Greg. I knew some people once who had a blind dog, that couldn’t walk, had to be syringe fed, and had a tough time even breathing. I (in my all knowing, unemotional teenager years) said the dog should be put down, and all hell broke loose. I still stand by my opinion, but believe my approach might have been a little better ;)
However, they were so emotional about the dog, that they litterally were watching it suffer to death and the expense of their selfish need. Because of that experience, I am a little too quick to put a dog down.. I sort of joke that my last dog was old and coughed funny, so I put him down.. but it’s not too far from reality.
My point is, I lean towards minimal suffering of the dog, even though it is difficult for us.

Yeah, I agree with you... she has been doing OK with the meds. She seems happy, not in pain... it just sucks to have to help her get up on her feet every now & again. I won't prolong her pain or suffering... that's the last thing I want.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Dude, that sucks. Putting my childhood dog down was one of the toughest things emotionally I've been through. I don't even like to think of the day when I will have to say goodbye to my current dog. Tough times :(

Greg

Admin
Dude, that sucks. Putting my childhood dog down was one of the toughest things emotionally I've been through. I don't even like to think of the day when I will have to say goodbye to my current dog. Tough times :(

It's been rough, we are trying to stay close to home and making sure we have quality time with her. I don't know how long she will be around at this point, but we're making the best of every day. Daisy gets plenty of treats and attention... trying to make this easy on us all. ☹