Can we talk dogs?

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I've been using Millcreek Veterinary Clinic for the last 15 years. Only one doctor Dr. Foster, I've always felt comfortable with him and he really knows his stuff. They won't rip you off either, lots of times we haven't been charged for various tests or follow-up visits.

I've also heard good things about Cottonwood Animal Hospital, that's who Dr. Foster has recommended to us for 24hr emergencies

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Well today I finally gave in and bought a dog. She's a beautiful silver brindle Standard Poodle. She's 12 weeks old and has been raised in a home that happens to be a proffessional dog trainer. Honestly I'd love to let them train her for another month or two, but it just doesn't work that way.

Here she is with her new best friend
9948177c2b7b652283bd92e95680b8a9.jpg

Congrats!

Is it just me, or did your dog get into your stash before the ride home? :brett:

SnwMnkys

My girlfriends dogs, but I treat them like theyre mine :rofl: Daisy is a Dalmation/Healer mix and is about 15 years old. Shes had her since a puppy. Norman is a Beagle/Cocker Spaniel mix we think and probably around 10 years old. We adopted him from a shelter in North Salt Lake in January. Hes been a wonderful dog and has taken to us really well. I really recommend going by a shelter and seeing if there is one that clicks with you.

Them wondering why I havent shared more of my Kettle Corn with them.
20170615_075457_resized.jpg

Last edited:

RogueJeepr

Here!
Our English Bulldog just turned 7 .
Very good with kids and knows if you're having a bad day. He'll lay his head on my chest and let you know it's OK. Bestest friend ever. [emoji41]
b664d6ed61cfc9d4a354264f48385375.jpg

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
Any of you use a tracking collar?

If we were to get a dog, it would be a hound and I would like a tracking collar in case it makes a brave escape while camping somewhere.

I can spend $600+ for one that is a garmin GPS, with no monthly fee's.. Or spend as little as $50 for one with a monthly network fee of about $6-$10..

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member

If we were to get a dog, it would be a hound and I would like a tracking collar in case it makes a brave escape while camping somewhere.

I can spend $600+ for one that is a garmin GPS, with no monthly fee's.. Or spend as little as $50 for one with a monthly network fee of about $6-$10..

My sister had a garmin one said it was terrible, batteries were garbage exchanged three times still sucked. I think she said she is using a "sport dog" brand now and loves it

Houndoc

tracking collar probably not a bad idea, but my advice with hounds is unless you are actively hunting with one, don't trust them off leash.

I have had couple of coon hounds and now have a beagle and their nose rules all. Catch an interesting smell and they are gone exploring.

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
tracking collar probably not a bad idea, but my advice with hounds is unless you are actively hunting with one, don't trust them off leash.

I have had couple of coon hounds and now have a beagle and their nose rules all. Catch an interesting smell and they are gone exploring.

Our last dog was a bloodhound. I had her pretty well trained to ignore her nose. I could leave her off leash and she would stay in the yard, gates open.
However, every time we got fresh snow she would dig out and disappear. Couldn't figure out why.

We do a ton of camping, and there are usually a few dogs in the group that often play offleash, so I imagine any dog we got would also be off leash sometimes. Hence the collar.

Houndoc

I can see the bloodhound being easier to train....they don't seem to have near the energy of a coonhound.
Wish my wife would agree to getting one.

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
This happened last night.

IMG_2052.JPG

'Dixie' beagle / walker hound mix.
She's just 6 weeks old, which is a little early to be getting them away from mom.. but hopefully that wont be an issue.
She is very friendly and happy, sleeps a TON, and did excellent through the night.
I picked her up in Idaho, and she made the long drive back without issue. We bathed her, and introduced her to the kids. All has gone very well. She is a cute little thing.

mesha

By endurance we conquer

View attachment 109973

She's just 6 weeks old, which is a little early to be getting them away from mom.. but hopefully that wont be an issue.
She is very friendly and happy, sleeps a TON, and did excellent through the night.
I picked her up in Idaho, and she made the long drive back without issue. We bathed her, and introduced her to the kids. All has gone very well. She is a cute little thing.

I always wanted a dog growing up, but my parents wouldn't have allow it. I found a beagle pup and my mom instantly fell in love. They are the cutest puppy in my opinion.

congrats!

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Congrats on the new pup

I would sign up for puppy socialization classes. Being away from mom at 6 weeks isn't a huge deal, but the reason they say to keep them in the litter is to learn socialization skills with their litter mates.

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
Congrats on the new pup

I would sign up for puppy socialization classes. Being away from mom at 6 weeks isn't a huge deal, but the reason they say to keep them in the litter is to learn socialization skills with their litter mates.

We have spent a good deal of time researching proper ways to own and train a dog. I have always been an outside only, shock collar training type dog owner. This dog will be inside, modern training, and a very socialized dog. Getting her socialized is our top priority right now. Thanks for the encouragement!

Houndoc

View attachment 109973

Cute! I would be jealous if I didn't know how much trouble I will be in if I ever bring another hound home!

I second the idea on puppy classes for the socialization aspect, but too young to start. Get her through her 8 & 12 week vaccines first and only go to a trainer that requires proof of vaccination.

Tonkaman

Last week the pup and I went to our first dog training class. It is put together by the American Kennel Club and is fairly cheap. I can already see the benefit to going! I've done a lot of work with my puppy and it showed, she was easily the best behaved dog there.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I kept telling her I really didn't want a dog, but she kept telling me she really did, so we compromised and got a dog.

Max is a five year old black lab - he's been my sister in law's dog but she couldn't keep him and my wife wanted to help her out so I guess he's ours now. He's mostly mellow - he gets a little too excited about walks and playing ball and likes to talk back and get passive aggressive when he doesn't want to do what he's told, but he's generally pretty chill. Doesn't appear to have an aggressive bone in his body, he won't even wrestle, so he'll make a crappy guard dog but I'll feel a lot better about him around kids and other pets.

He likes to hike, and apparently my brother in law took him hunting a couple times (I don't know if he's got any formal retrieval training?) but he's never been camping. He's going to make the tent a lot smaller, I think. Smellier too.

20170921_032911[1].jpg