Chasing my dreams

corbin.black

So long story.. my first home inspection went less than stellar ?
The inspector had some concerns with my roof/truss work.. after doing some research, there was some unlicensed work done without permits by previous owners. The buyers made some very bold requests and ultimately I denied their requests and cancelled their contract. The market is too hot right now to lose that much money. They weren't happy.
The roof isn't perfect but I had it looked at by several contractors and they suggested to leave it alone as it wasn't that bad (not worth the repair costs). We listed the house again and I was under contract within 24 hours. I was legally obligated at this point to tell potential buyers about the roof and the new buyer agreed that it wasn't that bad and didn't need repaired.
I just received his request for repairs, anyone know a licensed electrician that could help me out with my electrical panel issues?

Attachments

• house repair.PNG
    house repair.PNG
    11.1 KB · Views: 31

corbin.black

Haven’t updated you guys in a while.
I am the proud dad of a healthy 4 month old little boy. Mason James Black was born September 3 2019 at 7 lbs 11 oz and 21” long!
the house sold pretty quick even with the required repairs. We made a very good amount of money on the house and it set us up great for a while. We immediately purchased a townhouse in cedar city and have been living here for a couple months enjoying our time with our son. A neighbor offered me cash for my recently rebuilt LJ and it was several thousand more than what I spent on it so I had to let it go. I picked up a little corolla as a commuter car and I have decided to keep my duramax for now and will only sell it if I am needing the cash.
my wife was getting worried about the job situation but recently landed a job as an RN at a local nursing home part time. The schedule works great with mine and we will only need a babysitter for about 1.5 hours each week.

a little insight on the rotor wing flight program. To help some students save money, the school has two different helicopters you can fly. The R44 raven II or the R44 cadet. The cadet is cheaper to fly because it has been stripped down on weight and is restricted to 70% throttle (all to save fuel). You can fly this helicopter pending you make the weight requirement.. weigh less than 190lbs. If you guys don’t know, I’m 6’ 2” and haven’t made that weight since I was a junior in high school 10 years ago. When I applied for this program in May of last year, I weighed in at 223lbs. I’m active but my diet is pathetic. I managed to get down to about 202 lbs until September when my son arrived. Then I bounced back to about 210 for a while. Come December 1st I weighed in at 210.6 and realized that if I didn’t make some dramatic changes.. I wasn’t going to make weight before school. I severely restricted my calorie intake and started running a LOT. As of this morning, I weigh 190.6 lbs.This Tuesday is orientation and they will weigh me to make sure I qualify to fly a cadet for the semester.
just to throw out the numbers.. if I don’t make weight, it will cost me an additional $14,000 this semester alone and approximately $75,000 over two years of flying. So I am committed to being a “skinny” person for a while ?
Wish me luck!

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Congrats on the weight, I did the same thing not necessarily for money savings but most of the planes at my school I was too heavy to teach in. I went from 235 to 180 so I wasn't restricted to one type of plane to instruct in.

Good luck moving forward! Officially starting my new flying job in Hawaii tomorrow :cool: and no more diet keeping me at 180 but I won't be able to afford to each much so that will keep the weight down :rofl:

corbin.black

Congrats on the weight, I did the same thing not necessarily for money savings but most of the planes at my school I was too heavy to teach in. I went from 235 to 180 so I wasn't restricted to one type of plane to instruct in.

Good luck moving forward! Officially starting my new flying job in Hawaii tomorrow :cool: and no more diet keeping me at 180 but I won't be able to afford to each much so that will keep the weight down :rofl:
Thanks! In my research it seems that 180 may be a number for several helicopters as well so I will likely continue the diet so I’m not restricted when I start searching for jobs.
And congrats on the new job! Hawaii sounds exciting! What will you be flying?

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Congrats Corbin! On all three, the family, the weight loss, and school starting!

You have seen me with my kids and there is nothing better, every time you think they are as cool as they can be, just wait! It gets cooler!

LJTim

Great update! I'm glad you're getting situated in the new digs. You and @TRD270 really have me scratching my head about my career right now. How many 42 year-olds making 6 figures do you know saying things like that? But seriously, I'm struggling with current my situation.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Great update! I'm glad you're getting situated in the new digs. You and @TRD270 really have me scratching my head about my career right now. How many 42 year-olds making 6 figures do you know saying things like that? But seriously, I'm struggling with current my situation.
Sorry Corbin for the Hi-jack,

but Tim, I recently changed jobs after 22+ years in the hopes of finding a better work-life balance.

Yes I took a decrease in pay and less perks but to be honest I haven't missed them at all. I did a lot of networking and searching to find a place to land that was what I was looking for. It felt like a HUGE jump into the unknown when I walked out the door of the last company but man it has worked out great. I am a better husband, dad, and my sanity/out look on things is a 100% better.

Staying with something you aren't happy with isn't worth the effort, heartache, or stress. There is WAY more to life than just salary...

Good Luck!

corbin.black

Thanks for the encouragement guys! As you guys know I was working at TeraFlex and I love jeeps.. but I knew it wasn’t gonna last. It was super exciting at first and I learned a lot but it eventually got to a point to where I wasn’t leaning anything new and there weren’t any “upper” positions that I had any desire to work towards. I felt stuck and it tore me down over time. Since leaving, I have my motivation and drive back. I hit the gym every day and enjoy my daily life. I do miss a handful of people though.
I had my orientation a couple days ago and I officially weighed in at 188 lbs! I’m good to go for this semester. Classes started yesterday and I should be flying by Tuesday ?

Last edited:

RockChucker

Thanks for the encouragement guys! As you guys know I was working at TeraFlex and I love jeeps.. but I knew it wasn’t gonna last. It was super exciting at first and I learned a lot but it eventually got to a point to where I wasn’t leaning anything new and there weren’t any “upper” positions that I had any desire to work towards. I felt stuck and it tore me town over time. Since leaving, I have my motivation and drive back. I hit the gym every day and enjoy my daily life. I do miss a handful of people though.
I had my orientation a couple days ago and I officially weighed in at 188 lbs! I’m good to go for this semester. Classes started yesterday and I should be flying by Tuesday ?
I echo a lot of those sentiments....

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Thanks for the encouragement guys! As you guys know I was working at TeraFlex and I love jeeps.. but I knew it wasn’t gonna last. It was super exciting at first and I learned a lot but it eventually got to a point to where I wasn’t leaning anything new and there weren’t any “upper” positions that I had any desire to work towards. I felt stuck and it tore me town over time. Since leaving, I have my motivation and drive back. I hit the gym every day and enjoy my daily life. I do miss a handful of people though.
If you have time and need to scratch the jeeping ich, I will likely have an open seat on thursday next week at W4x4J. ;)