RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Last week I got the rear seat belts mounted, the cage painted (badly) and the interior mostly reinstalled. That went a long way toward making it feel more finished. I still need to install the center console and make some covers for the upper control arms.

Last Saturday we hit Flat Iron Mesa (sort of, we were following a group that seemed to be lost). :p There was really only one difficult obstacle, and the Cherokee had no problem climbing it once I got on the right line. I'm a crappy enough driver that it took me a second try to get to the line.

Sunday we hit Pritchett. Holy cow this trail has changed since I last ran it a couple years ago!!! Some of the hardest obstacles were not even obstacles then! The Cherokee climbed it all like a champ. It went up Chewy (one of the obstacles that's gotten way tougher recently) with no problems, and crawled Rocker Knocker with the help of a really good spotter. Only three in our group drove Rocker Knocker (two more winched, and the rest turned around). The obstacle just before Rock Pile is a lot more intersting now too. There's a line to the left (used to be the way to do it) that's probably a little easier, but looks like it gets pretty off-camber. Then there's a line to the right from the bottom that goes up a slippery wall. I think I could have done either line, but wanted to try the slippery wall, so I went to the right. I made it up the climb on the first attempt, and then through the off-camber part with some good spotting. Once we got to Rocker Knocker I attempted to climb it, but every time I got the back tires up on the wall, my transmission slipped and stopped powering the wheels. When I added the tranny cooler a while ago I lost some fluid, but when I checked it it read on the low end of full, so I didn't add any. I think I need to add a quart to it to keep it from slipping on these steep spots. Also, my brand-new winch doesn't work for some reason, and I haven't had a chance yet to take it to get repaired. I think if I had a winch to suck down my front suspension it would have gotten the angle of the tranny low enough it probably wouldn't have slipped. With either issue resolved I'm confident I could have climbed the Rock Pile. My front tires were on top and my back tires on the wall when it started to slip every time. :(

By this point in the trail there were only two vehicles left, and we needed to catch back up to the rest of the group that headed out before Rocker Knocker, so we turned around and drove out.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Impressions:
My goal was to build a comfortable rig that I could wheel moderate to difficult trails with the whole family for cheap. It rides nice, and is the most comfortable trail rig that I've ever owned. We had the heat and the AC on at different points, and the kids were both able to sleep in their car seats while going through some of the most difficult obstacles on Pritchett. As far as capability, it's more capable than I thought it would be. The suspension does not hop at all. It will sit and spin tires until I can find the right line, and it just goes up. It is low and wide, so despite the weight of the halo up top, it feels very stable. I never scraped the skid plate or frame that I know of, so it is tall enough. I'm sure there are ledges that would be difficult or impossible due to the relatively low belly height, but the stability more than makes up for that compromise for me. As far as the cheap part goes, I'm into it about $6000 total. I think that's pretty cheap for a rig as capable as this with this amount of family-practicality. I know you could build a more capable vehicle for less money, but it would be difficult to do while maintaining this level of comfort and family-friendlyness.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Outstanding issues:
The rubber Ford carrier bearing I used on my front drive shaft has enough give it it that it allows the bolts on the drive-flange to hit the front crossmember. This hasn't caused any breakage or anything yet, but it sure makes a disconcerting noise. I'll change to a more solid carrier bearing, clearance the crossmember, or both.

I still need to get the plug that plugs into the tranny computer so I can wire it in. I'm currently shifting with two switches to manually actuate the solenoids in the tranny, and although that gives me the ability to hold first gear, I'd rather have the transmission shift as-designed in most cases. Also, the "Maint Required" light is on because I haven't been able to splice the speedometer lead into the wiring harness yet.

I need to get the winch fixed. It would be really nice to have it on the front axle, as I inteded, and I did have an occasion to recover a tipped vehicle on Pritchett, and had to use a strap instead of the winch, which I would have preferred.

Headlights. I need them. I know which lights I want to use, and I even have one of them, but I haven't gotten around to fabricating the brackets for them yet.

I've got to clean and paint the axles, crossmembers, skid plates, etc. This job is going to bring the suck.

I want to swap the YJ (I think) Pitman arm I have for a Wagoneer (I think) arm that is flatter, and a little longer. Currently I don't quite get full lock-to-lock steering, and the longer pitman should help that a little.

I need to make recovery points on the rear bumper. I built in places for them on the bumper, but I haven't made and installed them yet. I can loop a strap around the bumper, but I really would rather have legit tow points.

I'll try to post interior and trail pics later today.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
$6k in parts aint bad.. Now add up your time and what it'd be worth. ;)

Are you going to use the OE console? Would you benefit from a modular console like i've got?

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
$6k in parts aint bad.. Now add up your time and what it'd be worth. ;)

Are you going to use the OE console? Would you benefit from a modular console like i've got?

I work for me for free. ;)

I'll probably put the original console back in, than make a new cover for the shifter.

76luv

I've never made a compound bend like your front end, and i don't really wanna waste tube trying to figure it out.
So is there any way you could give me some pointers?

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I've never made a compound bend like your front end, and i don't really wanna waste tube trying to figure it out.
So is there any way you could give me some pointers?

They suck. They're hard to figure out, and then harder to execute. Avoid them if at all possible. I built my whole buggy (before this rig) with only two of them. My only advice would be to measure many times, and do your calculations carefully. Also, nobody is going to know it didn't turn out exactly as you had planned if both sides match perfectly (or pretty close). Get the first one done, even if it's not exactly what you planned, and then match it exactly on the other side.

heavy18

XJNation
attachment.php

attachment.php

Just wondering if you have any pictures without the plastic interior piece on? I'm getting ready to extend my wheel wells, I remembered you did yours and came back to look. Coincidentally my lines are pretty much marked exactly where you cut yours... (don't want to get into the fuel door!)

Anyway, trying to figure out where/how to cut and weld, figured it's easier to follow someone else’s lead!

Awesome build, BTW

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Just wondering if you have any pictures without the plastic interior piece on? I'm getting ready to extend my wheel wells, I remembered you did yours and came back to look. Coincidentally my lines are pretty much marked exactly where you cut yours... (don't want to get into the fuel door!)

Anyway, trying to figure out where/how to cut and weld, figured it's easier to follow someone else’s lead!

Awesome build, BTW

Thank you. So, you want pics of the inner fenders welded back in, but with the plastic interior bits out? I'll see if I can find something like that. Is your wheelbase extended? I don't think I would have needed to cut and move the inner fenders if I hadn't moved the rear axle back several inches.

heavy18

XJNation
Thank you. So, you want pics of the inner fenders welded back in, but with the plastic interior bits out? I'll see if I can find something like that. Is your wheelbase extended? I don't think I would have needed to cut and move the inner fenders if I hadn't moved the rear axle back several inches.

Yes, I'm pushed back a few, maybe 3, inches but the bigger problem would be the 37's I just put on. :(
The leading tread clears but the rear needs to be cut back.

Eventually I'd like to go with a 4-link, or maybe wishbone, and I'll probably put it back just a hair more, we'll see.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Have you finished the front lights yet??:D

I'm curious as to how that turned out!!:greg:

I haven't done that yet. I swapped the top springs on the rear coilovers, replaced the lift gate struts, and washed it last weekend. I want to work on it some more this weekend, but lights aren't at the top of the list yet.

My first jeep was a 92 cherokee and once my build was perfected i absolutley loved it. Mine was a manual i ran 33s and had 4:56 ratios. The only thing i believe you may run into is that the 4:88s which you purchased may be to low for what you want. My jeep was also my daily drivier and even with it being a manual these gears were to low and took it from being a moderatly capable rig to a full blown crawler with not much street handeling. I also started with the same lock right lockers and found that it wore out very fast, i swicthed to an eaton and never haad any problems. God luck with your xj if your like me you will never go back to a wrangler, the suspension and wheel base is great plus you have space!!!!!!!!!!!

"itis", e.g. "itis too bad how poor the spelling is in blogs these days."

tdownin4