RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
:ugh: I think I remember our sweet, dear child a long time ago putting that bolt in there and I thought I told you about it...:confused: He loves to play with bolts and stick them in things and this is starting to ring a bell. You should listen to your wife honey.
:)

You told me, huh? I guess that's what I get for going wheeling without you on our anniversary. I won't do that again. :ugh:

:rofl::rofl:

So how long is your son grounded for?

He was just trying to help. I'm so happy I don't have to re-do my front drive shaft or gears that I'm not mad in the least.

Now that's funny! I finally got to see this beast in Moab Saturday. All I can say is WOW! You do good work kid, it'll be an awesome rig when you're done. But, I'm still a little miffed your's left the garage before mine did.... :D

Glad to hear that's all it was. From what I can see from the gears, I wouldn't hesitate to run them. Great to see ya Saturday, it's been a while.

Thanks! Maybe one of these days we can even hit a trail again! :)

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
So I cleaned it out very thoroughly, put my new T-Flex HD dif cover on, and filled it back up with oil.

I also tracked down the transmission fluid leak. One of my cooler line fittings on the transmission was loose. I tried to tighten it and it fell out. :eek: I think I had the wrong fitting. I took the factory fitting to Evco to have them match it up, and this one seemed to go in fine, but it leaked and stripped out a little of the threads on the transmission. I took the factory fitting, and drilled and tapped the inside of it for 1/4" NPT, and screwed my hose barb into it. The threads on the factory fitting are much longer than the ones on the fitting I got from Evco, so I was able to screw it in past the messed up threads in the transmission. It seems to have worked. No leaks.

Then I noticed the rear axle was no longer centered, and the pinion was pointing up higher than I remember setting it up. It turns out the jam nuts were loose on one of my upper controls arms, and it rotated it's way out quite a bit. I screwed it back in, and that centered the axle back up, and fixed the pinion angle.

I took it for a test drive and everything seems fine now. No funny noises or binding from the front diff, and no fluid leaks.

I'm ready to go wheeling again! :D:D:D

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Not bad for the first trip out!! That's too funny about the 'spare' bolt in the front diff. Long as no real damage was done, it's a funny story. Might have to keep a closer eye on your little helper... and listen to the wife. :rofl:

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I got the B-pillars and the spreaders tacked in today. :)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_6140 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_6140 (Medium).JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 456
  • IMG_6145 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_6145 (Medium).JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 462

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Ugh, so much rust... :( It rained for most of the 27 hours the Jeep was out of the garage last weekend. Since there was no paint on anything I've been dealing with a lot of rust. I have managed to clean and paint the front and rear bumpers, and the outside portions of the cage. I also finished the interior bits of the cage, and did a lot of welding I've been putting off. Most of it was welding thick cage material to thin XJ body material, so it was slow and tedious. Finally, I swapped the 150 pound lower springs on the rear for 225 pound springs. There is still a lot of rust to deal with on the axles, steering parts, and "frame".

Pics:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_6206 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_6206 (Medium).JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 431
  • IMG_6209 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_6209 (Medium).JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 430
  • IMG_6217 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_6217 (Medium).JPG
    52 KB · Views: 726
  • IMG_6222 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_6222 (Medium).JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 425

familyxj

What did you do if anything to seal around the cage where it extends through the roof? Just curious because I am in the greater Phoenix area of AZ and the one day a year it rains here would suck if water was dripping on your head:D

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
What did you do if anything to seal around the cage where it extends through the roof? Just curious because I am in the greater Phoenix area of AZ and the one day a year it rains here would suck if water was dripping on your head:D

Everywhere the cage goes through the body (the roof or the floor), I welded it all the way around. I washed it and didn't see any water coming through at any of the roof welds.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Looks good! Apparently your roof couldn't protect you from all the water now could it:D Take that RUST!!!

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Looks good! Apparently your roof couldn't protect you from all the water now could it:D Take that RUST!!!

Yes, I was jealous of your paint last weekend. :(

My heat, air conditioning (I used both that day), and protection from weather went a long way toward making me feel better though. :greg:

You need a new avatar.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
So do you get a lot of dirt or sad coming in through the holes in your floor? Where the shocks and long arms come through.

The holes for the upper control arms don't seem to let in too much, but the cut out rear inner fenders certainly do. Both will be fixed. This rig is far from finished. ;)

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
:eek:
Wwwwwhhhhhaaaaatttttt..
You've been telling me for so long now that you are almost done.
:ugh:

Woah, calm down little chicky.. He included the 'winky eye' --> ;) <-- Which means that he is joking. It's just silly sarcasm..

There, I smoothed things over and got her off your back!

;)