CJ-75 Budget Build

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
Got on the chasis with the pressure washer.... Nasty job to say the least:mad:!

Now I can take the measurements I need to figure things out:)!

I allready know ill have to move the drivetrain back some as well as the rear axel forward:ugh:!

I'm going to draw it all out on graph paper to get all the dimentions right:)!

Pics of dirty vs. less dirty;)

Attachments

• J-10 010.jpg
    J-10 010.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 15
  • J-10 002.jpg
    J-10 002.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 15
  • J-10 001.jpg
    J-10 001.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 15
  • J-10 017.jpg
    J-10 017.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 14
  • J-10 009.jpg
    J-10 009.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 14
  • J-10 018.jpg
    J-10 018.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 16

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
Spent part of the day learning about the 700r4 auto tranny:eek:! My build buddy Wayne is putting it together for his J3000 affectionately known as " The Frog":cool:

Attachments

• J-10 025.jpg
    J-10 025.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 11
  • J-10 027.jpg
    J-10 027.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 10

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
Looks good, a orignal idea even if it was not all yours, way to make a cheap build fun and resource full, oh and by the way i'm the preacher for the church of cheap builds incase you need to confess mixing your jeep with a toyota hahaha

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
Looks good, a orignal idea even if it was not all yours, way to make a cheap build fun and resource full, oh and by the way i'm the preacher for the church of cheap builds incase you need to confess mixing your jeep with a toyota hahaha

:eek:Toyota:eek:! GOD FORBID!!:ugh: I haven't had to resort to that yet!:rofl: This is a JEEP build! I'll stray to the Chevy, Dodge, Ford,& even IH camps before I go out of country!

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
Ok, here are some updates!:eek:

I'm tearing down the J-10 frame & running gear! So there are alot of rusty parts all over the garage floor.
Noithing special.

I'll be flipping the front springs, end for end, & going spring over axel.... moves axel forward 2" & lifts the axel about 5":D!

The engine, trans, & x-fercase all move back 9" in the frame to match up with the CJ fire wall / front axel dimentions:-\!

The plan is to build the front suspension & motor locations first & fit the body up before making any comitments to the rear suspension!:)

I would love any ideas or input you guys can offer:bow:

Rember I'm trying to build this on a budget....No D60/14 combo on 4/3 link stuff!

I have D44's front & rear, leaf spring F & R, simple is better!

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
Pics of the chasis.

Attachments

• J-10 007.jpg
    J-10 007.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 15
  • J-10 008.jpg
    J-10 008.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 15
  • J-10 021.jpg
    J-10 021.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 13
  • J-10 011.jpg
    J-10 011.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 12
  • J-10 015.jpg
    J-10 015.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 11

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
This is a pic of the stock engine location in relation to the front axel position & the end of the frame

Attachments

• 100_0016.JPG
    100_0016.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 9
  • J-10 016.jpg
    J-10 016.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 11

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
I'll try to explain:eek:!

If you draw a straight line up from the top of the shock tower on the CJ it lines up with front of the valve cover on the motor. On the J10 chasis that point is aprox. 9" behind the front of the valve cover. One or the other has to move!

To maintain the proper spacing for the fan to radiator I need 25" from firewall to center of axel +/- 1".

Here is where the debate starts!! If I flip the springs end for end & mount them spring over, I gain 2" forward & 5" in height, without having to change any of the steering...I think! I move the motor/trans/x-fer back 7". I have to redo drivelines & clutch linkage anyway.:confused:

Or? Do I move the axel the whole 9" & go spring over, which means extending the frame, relocating the stearing box & spring mounts, plus drivelines & clutch linkage:-\! ?

OORR?? Do I leave the front springs in their original configuration & go spring over. Move the drivetrain back the whole 9", redo drivelines & clutch linkage:-\!

I have concerns about turning the springs. They are 24" from front eye to center & 22" from rear eye to center. The front eye is 1 1/4" dia. & the back is 2". I'm afraid that flipping them would over stress the the small bushing & be a constant problem.:mad:

Is 2" going to make that much of a difference to my aproach angle? I was planning on putting rollers up there anyway! :p And remember this is not a buggy:rofl:!

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
Sorrry you guys were asking Q's while I was typing that novel (takes alot of time for us old effers to type this stuff in)

This truck is 130" WB. I'll chop off whatever I don't need after we move the rear axel forward.-_-

The rear springs are 56" long, which are flexy but would hang past the rear of the tub over 6":rofl:. I think I'll experiment with a few different combinations of leaf springs.:rolleyes: Whatever's cheap!:D

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
I see how it is well you might be surprised how nice the toyota camp is! hahaha

:rofl::rofl::rofl:No offence! I love you yota guys! My first trip on the Rubicon was in a yota! I'm sure there is a spring, seat, switch, or knob that is going to come in real handy at some point in this prodject!:p

NOW?? If you're offering up a complete 06 or 07 Tundra V8 drivetrain for around $100 I could be converted to the Toyota camp!:bow:

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
Quick update! :D

I got the spring over done on the front axel:thumbs:, looks good! I gained about 5" of lift which should be plenty of clearance & will be easy to match in the rear with relocated hangers & longer shackles.:)

I'll be switching to flat top knuckles & high steer settup as well!

Next will be the relocation of the motor/trans/xfer back about 9" & partial boxing of the frame:rolleyes:! Not a job I'm looking forward to, but looking forward to having done!

Once that hurdle is overcome, things should move along at a little better pace:rofl::rofl::rofl:.....Yea right!