CJ-75 Budget Build

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
A little update!;) We had a great time at the George!

We got a permit from the USFS to gather rocks for personal landscaping use, so we spent a couple of days picnic'n & gathering turky platter sized rocks to use for walkways & patio!:rolleyes: ( Kickin my a$$ ) :mad::mad: Wife likes it though!:shawn: Soooo:bow: Needless to say I'm looking forward to getting back to " MY " prodject!!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Update & fresh pics after the weekend!!:D

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
BTW: thought you guys might like to see some pics of my build buddies & me at Little Moab & on Rattlesnake:D!

Attachments

• 7'11'2010lynne 052.jpg
    7'11'2010lynne 052.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 7'11'2010lynne 095.jpg
    7'11'2010lynne 095.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 7'11'2010dad 051.jpg
    7'11'2010dad 051.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 17

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
This is "Old Blue" with Phill's wife "Fearless" ;) Lynne driving!!:D

Attachments

• 7'11'2010dad 041.jpg
    7'11'2010dad 041.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 7'11'2010lynne 028.jpg
    7'11'2010lynne 028.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 7'11'2010lynne 131.jpg
    7'11'2010lynne 131.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 14

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
0h, :spork:and this is the "Erector's Set", my 88 Cherokee:)!

Attachments

• DSCF2718.jpg
    DSCF2718.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCF2745.jpg
    DSCF2745.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 7'11'2010lynne 059.jpg
    7'11'2010lynne 059.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
Sooo! Here are the pics I promised, the tubs are 4.5 " shorter than before, & as you can see the rear axel needs to come forward about the same distance that I shortened the body:rolleyes:! I'll just turn the springs around, ( I was running them backward anyway ), & see how they line up! :eek:

That should gain me about 5" in wheelbase & if I need more I can drill the front spring hanger bolt hole another 1" forward without hurting my shackle angle any!:thumbs:

That should put me at 121-122":D

I guess we'll see when i put the body back on the frame!!

Attachments

• DSCF2789.jpg
    DSCF2789.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCF2795.jpg
    DSCF2795.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCF2798.jpg
    DSCF2798.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
A little update for everyone:)!

I turned the rear springs around & remounted the rear axel. It ended up right about where I thought it would:D!

WB = 121.5 :rolleyes: Which I'll shorten another 1" by drilling the front spring eye hole 1" further forward:thumbs:!!

The shackles ended up about 2.5" behind the tub which os fine with me, I planned on using rollers on the shackles anyway, & I figure I can absorb the tops into the rear bumper:rofl::rofl::rofl:!

Attachments

• DSCF2813.jpg
    DSCF2813.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCF2815.jpg
    DSCF2815.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCF2814.jpg
    DSCF2814.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 17

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
Next on the agenda will be body mounts:busted:!! I'll also be adding structural pieces to the underside of the bodies to tie them together more solidly & provide a base for the floor patches:cool:!

I also need to start researching what i'm going to do for a fuel tank:rolleyes:??

I have the CJ7 tank which was a recent replacement before I bought it & is in great shape but my buddy Wayne figured that it's only 14 Gal. It's 17"x23"x10.5" & I dont know the formula but just looking at it I would think he's close:-\.

It doesn't come close to filling the space avail. under there, so i'm thinking I need to look into other tanks from other Mfg. that will work with what I have:rolleyes:...

I've allready looked at an XJ tank, which would work, but the fill neck is on the wrong side:-\!

I cant afford a custom fuel cell so I need to keep it simple & cheep:D! Any sugestions would be greatly appreciated:D:D!

Attachments

• DSCF2821.jpg
    DSCF2821.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 17

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
Time to move this one to the front of the line & try to get some input:confused::confused:!

I've been working on the body mounts, & using some spring eye bushings that are 1.5" tall to set the spacing between the body frame:eek:.

The bushings are polly-urathane & really stiff! A stock rubber body mount is more flexible, but would squeeze down almost 1/2 their original thickness when bolted down:-\!

Dillema: Wayne thinks the polly wont flex enough & cause tears in the body mounts or even the body itself, even though I boxed the frame & added 2 x-members:rolleyes:!

Then I see replacement body bushing kits (not body lifts) in polly, & have to wonder if they work in that application they must flex enough, otherwise they wouldn't be in buisiness very long, RIGHT:confused::confused::confused:?

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated:cool:!!

Thanks!

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Tie the cage to the frame, then you won't need to worry about frame flex nearly as much.

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
I would tie the roll cage into the frame as carl said, and stock rubber should be fine unless it hits your body on the drive train then id just go with a thicker rubber oem bushing. As far as a tank i would try and find a cheap fuel cell for like a 100 bucks and use that

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
I went with OEM rubber and so far no problems w/the body work or the body mounts.Hope that helps.

I followed your build all along. I know you boxed your frame to some degree, was that stiff enough or did you also tie the roll cage into the frame??:)

I've allready boxed the entire frame & added 3 X-members & the cage will tie to the frame at 4 points, maybe 6 around the pass. comp...... How did you tie in all of this???

Your rig seems to be plenty stiff for hard core off-roading!

My real question, i guess, is, do you think that this build on leaf springs has enough flex to keep the twist in the supension & frame, without transmiting it to the body & causng tears:-\!

Everyone's input is appreciated on this, feel free to chime in on this one:)!

Coco

thats pretty sweet!! There is a guy here in Lehi somewhere that is doing something very similar to this. He is using 2 CJ7 tubs. I just saw it when I was at Gaylons drivelines one day, was sure looking good tho!!!

Not sure if he is on here or not, or even if he is in Lehi tho :ugh:

cj14

I have not yet tie'd my cage in. I did run 3 extra xmembers. I'm leaf sprung on all 4 corner's and I've done several hard core trail's I can get a tire up 4 ft. with out pulling another off the ground and so far I haven't even shown sighns of twist or fatige on the body or any sighns in the paint. Hope this help's.

Attachments

• Moab EJS 2010 068.jpg
    Moab EJS 2010 068.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 47

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
That is good to hear! :) I think with all the boxing & x-members it will be pretty stiff.....plus I'm running 3/16 diamond plate along the rockers which should stiffen the body quite a bit;)!