CJ-75 Budget Build

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
I moved the rear axel forward along with new hangers, shackles, & perches to match the front ride height & to move the springs in underneath the frame. :)

Attachments

• Campout2010 036.jpg
    Campout2010 036.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Campout2010 040.jpg
    Campout2010 040.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Campout2010 018.jpg
    Campout2010 018.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Campout2010 044.jpg
    Campout2010 044.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Campout2010 052.jpg
    Campout2010 052.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Campout2010 046.jpg
    Campout2010 046.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 14

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
Now I'm starting to box in the framerails!

Attachments

• Campout2010 051.jpg
    Campout2010 051.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Campout2010 049.jpg
    Campout2010 049.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Campout2010 050.jpg
    Campout2010 050.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Campout2010 048.jpg
    Campout2010 048.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 12

cj14

Looks good so much easyer to work on the frame with the body off.
Maybe we should start a thread (Lets see your FOUR DOORS/PART BARGES)
Keep up the good work.

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
Parts Barge!! LOL it's too true!! It's such an easy place to store everything too small to go in the rafters & too big for a 5 gal. bucket though:rofl:!

It will all have to go somewhere pretty soon, as I'm nearing the point of fitting the body up for the first time:eek:!

I'm getting excited to see what it is going to look like!!

I'll finish welding in the boxed frame pieces tomorrow & start working on the hard lines & such:ugh:!

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
OK! hear are some pics of the body sitting on the frame:eek:!

The front lines up just like I thought it would,:) the rear, somehow ended up being off by 2.5"??? Bad math or something!:ugh:

No problem though, 52" Chevy springs will bring it forward 3" & put the wheelbase at 124" total!:D

Attachments

• DSCF2668.jpg
    DSCF2668.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCF2669.jpg
    DSCF2669.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 40
  • DSCF2670.jpg
    DSCF2670.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 42

cj14

Wow gonna look good I am surprised at the length with the 5 tub after seeing the pic's Don't know were my math went wrong but I was thinking with a 7 and 5 tub you could squeeze it down to about 118" wheel base But your still shorter than I am
LOOKS REALLY GOOD

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
I could've shortened it up by 5" but I would have lost the C channel in front of the CJ5 door & the boxed in seatbelt mount section behind the CJ7 door, both of which I thought were important to body stiffness in that area:-\!

I'm only using soft doors, but I don't want any problems with allignment in the future either!;)

Here are some more pics of the engine bay:)!

I got the measurements just right, it's a perfect fit : 3/4" fan to radiator & 1" head to firewall:D!!

Attachments

• DSCF2676.jpg
    DSCF2676.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCF2677.jpg
    DSCF2677.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCF2680.jpg
    DSCF2680.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCF2678.jpg
    DSCF2678.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 13

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
BTW: I was curious as to the status of the CJ14 & how it's working out for you!!;)

Is there anything that you have had a problem with, or something you would have done differently???:eek::eek:

I need to know before I make all of this perminent!!:-\

Don't want to make a mistake if it can be avoided ya know!:D

cj14

So far so good If I were to do it again I would spend more time on the door openings I would shorten the front 6" At the time I was trying to use stock doors [lessen the work load] But so far its the best trail rig Ive ever had

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
That is where I'm looking for direction:-\! If I shorten the door opening , Ican get down to 118-119" on wheelbase! :confused: The question is is it worth the trouble of cutting the body apart & reworking all of that??:confused:

Or should I just move forward with with what I have allready started & not worry about the wheelbase issues??:cody:

Bart

Personally I'd stick with your plan. It's big, but it will work. I like the idea of keeping stock door openings.

cj14

:rofl: I would stay to plan mine turns sharp enough it's not the hindrance I thought it would be. Besides I had enough time in body work just with what I did.

Attachments

• Moab EJS 2010 038.jpg
    Moab EJS 2010 038.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 80

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
That is where I'm looking for direction:-\! If I shorten the door opening , Ican get down to 118-119" on wheelbase! :confused:

Sorry, ;)! What I meant to say was, the space BETWEEN the door openings could loose 5" without affecting the stock door openings at all:)!

My only concern is stiffening the "B pillar" as it were, for door hangers & latches:-\! Or am I worrying about nothing??:rolleyes: :shawn:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Sorry, ;)! What I meant to say was, the space BETWEEN the door openings could loose 5" without affecting the stock door openings at all:)!

My only concern is stiffening the "B pillar" as it were, for door hangers & latches:-\! Or am I worrying about nothing??:rolleyes: :shawn:

I'd say you're worrying about almost nothing. Sheetmetal alone might be flexible if it's really small, but nothing a piece of square tubing (or similar) welded in behind wouldn't fix.

cj14

I cut mine didn't box the inner structure to the outer and I have no flex there. You'll be surprised.If it's that easy I'd get it down to 118" if you still have rear leg room.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
:rofl: I would stay to plan mine turns sharp enough it's not the hindrance I thought it would be. Besides I had enough time in body work just with what I did.

holy crap that thing is awesome. Do you have a build thread anywhere?

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
I cut mine didn't box the inner structure to the outer and I have no flex there. You'll be surprised.If it's that easy I'd get it down to 118" if you still have rear leg room.

It's funny how much longer it looks on the frame with the front clip in place:ugh:!

I think I can shorten the body in less than a day-_-! I havent filled in the floor yet, so all I'm dealing with are the side panels:rolleyes:!

I've allready set a 3'rd row, fold & tumble seat from a Suburban in there & even with 5" less it will have more space than the back of my XJ:ugh:!

Thanks fo the input guys:bow:! I think that is the direction I'll be going this weekend:greg:!!! PARTY ON!!

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
got new pic's yet!

Sorry I did get pics, but left the camera at the shop:shawn:!

I sortened the tubs about the max you can get them! You'll see when I post the pics in a couple of weeks:rolleyes:!

I won't be working on it this weekend, because of it being a state holliday:D!!!

Boating at the Gorge will be occupying my time this weekend!!

I figure the body could fit a 119" wheelbase if I center the axel in the wheel opening, but I think I'll leave it at 121" & radius the tub a little :cool:!

That will leave room for 40's & d-60's in the future without changing the the mounts:rofl::rofl::rofl: ! You know it'll happen, sooner or later:greg: