Competition buggy...

Ryan

Okay, this is sort of a spillover from a post in the Wanted forum.

Take in to consideration that I've only been researching this for a few days, and prior to that, I knew absolutely nothing about sami's and trac/kicks, and hadn't really looked too serious at the Toyota option.

I have a lot of ideas floating around in my head, but the overall idea is for a dedicated competition vehicle for Legend Class, which means I will have to retain the stock frame and body panels(skins at least).

The best option I have come up with so far is to build a Sami on Toy axles and 35's, with mostly sidekick drivetrain. Hack the body as much as possible and tube the rest for weight reduction. The end goal being a lightweight vehicle that is stable, yet narrow enough to shoot the cones without much problem, and a wheelbase of around 100" for the steep climbs.

I'd like to have this running and ready for UROC 2003, so I don't have a lot of time to start from the ground up(nor do I have the money to start from the ground up;)).

I've already decided on coils for suspension. I have quite a few different drivetrain configurations in mind, but I'm lacking knowledge about the stock Sami motor.

Taking into consideration that crawl is good, but I've got to be able to roast the tires sometimes(AND the fact that I don't have much experiece wheelin' with a small motor and deep gearing), I have the following questions:

Is the stock Sami 1.3L even worth messing with?

I'm thinking I'll have to swap in a 1.6L to even be viable in competition, although I've heard otherwise from a few people.

With a 1.3L EFI, I'm wondering if I'll have to be 200:1 to really get anywhere.

I'm considering the 1.3L only because I'm looking to cut time and hassle, and if it will work, well...

This is what has made me wonder about starting with a trac/kick. I'd have the 1.6L to start with, and I could just run a divorced toy case or two behind the trac/kick t-case. The IFS isn't a problem because I'll be hacking the suspension anyway. That setup would SERIOUSLY cut the buildup time.

Right now I'm also considering buying a semi-built sami, and putting a little time into it, rather than start with a stock sami. This would only be for time reasons.

Time seems to keep popping up as a consideration, LOL. Not only is there not much time before UROC 2003, but I just flat out don't have much time to work on anything.

As far as the Toyota idea goes, I've considered starting with a toy pickup, and possibly narrowing the body. I could use all the toy drivetrain and axles, and possibly go coils. The only real hangup I can see is that I won't be able to hack off the frame, so unless I maintain a waaaaay long wheelbase, approach and departure angle are going to suck. It's possible that I could cut a foot or so off of the stock frame, but I'll have to call Craig and chat with him about it.

Anyway, I've tried to give the big picture, but there's a billion details I've left out. So, if this makes any sense at all----anybody got any input?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
After talking to Von, Toyotas seem to be heavy to start with for Competiton. I think if it's going to be Dedicated Competition rig, ditch the idea of starting with a Toyota.

Ryan

Originally posted by Greg
After talking to Von, Toyotas seem to be heavy to start with for Competiton. I think if it's going to be Dedicated Competition rig, ditch the idea of starting with a Toyota.

Yeah, I've kinda been leaning away from the Toy idea. A 22RE would have a lot more poop than a sami or trac/kick motor, but it would be pulling that much more weight as well. I don't think I'd try a 22RE in a sami either. For the weight, a 1.6L should be plenty for a tubed sami. Besides, the Toy frame issue is still a big hang up. Hmmmmm...

Greg

Admin
Here you go, courtesy of POR-

From the owners (Nuttzack) Sig-
88 sammi,coiled,toy axles,hydraulic steering,5.29's,spools,longfields,grs2,RCI seats,37" boggers,hy-steer,4-wheel discs,and some trimmin

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Hell ya I've got input. So much that I don't know where to start. I'd go Sami with stock 5speed/tcase and Toy axles. First off, how limited is your budget? You can do this fairly cheap, but there are a few items that will cost ya no matter what. Also, some of these parts need to be ordered SOON! The Toyota parts are not a concern, but the Sami stuff will most definitely have lead times. Your Toy axles will have 4.10's which will be fine, buy a 6:1 Sami tcase gear set (approx. $900, but ya gotta do it and you'd be lucky if they were in stock anywhere), and your 1st gear is 3.65. Crawl would be approx. 90:1. With 5.29 diff. gears approx. 115:1. Find a 1.6L Sidekick/Tracker motor with the 8v EFI head. If you can get just the head, bolt it on the 1.3 (there are little details here that we can go over if the time comes). If using a 1.6, you'd need an adapter, driver's side custom motor mount, and various hardware available from a butt and nolt supply. Actually, I have a kit for you to duplicate or you can buy one. Due to time, spring it over with YJ springs. Now comes all the little stuff that will add up: steering stuff (high steer?), driveshafts, shocks, lockers, roll cage/misc. tubing, blah, blah, blah... I could go on for hours here. I used to sit on the phone day after day going over the Sami w/ Toyota axles thing at RRO. Got any questions or thoughts so far?

Ryan

Here you go, courtesy of POR-

From the owners (Nuttzack) Sig-
88 sammi,coiled,toy axles,hydraulic steering,5.29's,spools,longfields,grs2,RCI seats,37" boggers,hy-steer,4-wheel discs,and some trimmin

I've been following the buildup on POR a bit. That's about what I'm shootin' for, except not full hydro, 35's, less body and more tube. I don't remember what motor he's running. I'll have to get in touch with him. Thanks for reminding me of that:D

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Originally posted by Ryan

I've been following the buildup on POR a bit. That's about what I'm shootin' for, except not full hydro, 35's, less body and more tube. I don't remember what motor he's running. I'll have to get in touch with him. Thanks for reminding me of that:D

That reminds me, Toyota IFS steering box tapped for ram assist. Piece o' cake. ;)

Greg

Admin
Originally posted by Vonski
That reminds me, Toyota IFS steering box tapped for ram assist. Piece o' cake. ;)

Would there be any steering issues with moving the axle way far forward?

Oooooooooo.......Mabey you could run the Steering behind the axle!!?!

Ryan

Hell ya I've got input. So much that I don't know where to start. I'd go Sami with stock 5speed/tcase and Toy axles. First off, how limited is your budget? You can do this fairly cheap, but there are a few items that will cost ya no matter what. Also, some of these parts need to be ordered SOON! The Toyota parts are not a concern, but the Sami stuff will most definitely have lead times. Your Toy axles will have 4.10's which will be fine, buy a 6:1 Sami tcase gear set (approx. $900, but ya gotta do it and you'd be lucky if they were in stock anywhere), and your 1st gear is 3.65. Crawl would be approx. 90:1. With 5.29 diff. gears approx. 115:1. Find a 1.6L Sidekick/Tracker motor with the 8v EFI head. If you can get just the head, bolt it on the 1.3 (there are little details here that we can go over if the time comes). If using a 1.6, you'd need an adapter, driver's side custom motor mount, and various hardware available from a butt and nolt supply. Actually, I have a kit for you to duplicate or you can buy one. Due to time, spring it over with YJ springs. Now comes all the little stuff that will add up: steering stuff (high steer?), driveshafts, shocks, lockers, roll cage/misc. tubing, blah, blah, blah... I could go on for hours here. I used to sit on the phone day after day going over the Sami w/ Toyota axles thing at RRO. Got any questions or thoughts so far?

LOL, I hear ya on the "don't know where to start" thing. My original post was headed for about 93 pages until I seriously abbreviated it.

I'm thinking along all the same lines that you mentioned.

The more I think and talk about this, the more it's being narrowed down in my mind. As of now:

Stock Sami to start, swap in 1.6L, 5-speed or auto, and t-case from 4wd sidekick, mount divorced toy t-case behind kick t-case(possibly with 4.7's), toy axles with the deepest gears money allows, hysteer, longfields, 35's, coils for good approach and departure angles, about 100" wheelbase, keep from firewall to behind seats, tube the rest, winch, etc.

I've added it up a number of different ways with a number of different vehicles as a base, and without going full bore, but allowing hopefully plenty for unknown stuff, I always come out at about $9000.

What I need to do is see if someone with a small motor and deep gearing will let me drive thier vehicle for a bit to see how it is. I'd hate to build the vehicle described above, only to find it doesn't have the poop to spin the tires when needed, or some other major design flaw.

That brings me to my next option:
Buy a semi-built sami and drive it for a bit before making any major buildup decisions. That way I could make sure it ended up the way I want it, but there's a lot of time involved that I just don't have(or don't WANT to have I guess, LOL).

Anyway, those are my thoughts. I can tell I'm going to have to meet up with you some time in the very near future and hash some stuff out Von;)

Ryan

I hadn't thought about unimportant stuff like, well, like, STEERING:D I've never seen the steering behind the axle on a Toy axle. That's something to think about(and maybe be forced to design, LOL). Makes you wonder why ole nuttzak went full hydro, eh?;)

Greg

Admin

I hadn't thought about unimportant stuff like, well, like, STEERING:D I've never seen the steering behind the axle on a Toy axle. That's something to think about(and maybe be forced to design, LOL). Makes you wonder why ole nuttzak went full hydro, eh?;)

I don't see why you couldn't bolt a Toyota HighSteer arm on backwards, the bolt pattern is the same! It would just be Steering Box location from there.

Vonski

nothing to see here...

Sure, why not... However, this thing needs to be done by mid-Feb. and it could take several weeks (or longer) to find a rig. I'm assuming you want something in non-running condition to save some cash. They go quick around here, especially "parts" Samurais. You may have to save the fancy stuff for later.

Greg

Admin
Sure, why not... However, this thing needs to be done by mid-Feb. and it could take several weeks (or longer) to find a rig. I'm assuming you want something in non-running condition to save some cash. They go quick around here, especially "parts" Samurais. You may have to save the fancy stuff for later.

True dat.

Ryan

I would like to have it going for the first event, but if it comes down to slap it together and go, or miss an event and do it right, gettin' it right would take priority(most likely).

I've already got a possible line on a sami for pretty cheap(although not as cheap as I would like), a sidekick with all the right drivetrain, and a lot of the other parts as well. I've been trying to put together a realistic budget so I can go to the money-men and plead my case. If I can get a "go" then all hell will break loose all at once:D

Greg

Admin
Looks like friday nights are "Tech Night" here on RME... :D

Von- That just might be an idea.........

Ryan- If all HELL does break loose, I'll be there to help you focus it!!

Vonski

nothing to see here...

I've added it up a number of different ways with a number of different vehicles as a base, and without going full bore, but allowing hopefully plenty for unknown stuff, I always come out at about $9000.

Does this mean your budget is $9,000? If thats the case, you have nothing to worry about but time.

Ryan

That just might be an idea.........

Ryan- If all HELL does break loose, I'll be there to help you focus it!!

Time to put all my salesmanship skill to work:D

I'm going to have to hurry. I'll hopefully hit them up with it Monday or Tuesday.

Here's a few pics of Shaffers old vehicle to ponder. Did his old vehicle have this setup when we were checking it out in Farmington? I can't remember...

Greg

Admin
Here's a few pics of Shaffers old vehicle to ponder. Did his old vehicle have this setup when we were checking it out in Farmington? I can't remember...

Nada, the old rig had a 22RE, Toy Tranny and standard Double T-Cases.