Competition buggy...

Ryan

Originally posted by Vonski

Does this mean your budget is $9,000? If thats the case, you have nothing to worry about but time.

The budget is a tough one. It's basically whatever I can convince a few people is needed. It sounds like you've done the math on this a few times, what about do you come out at? I don't want to have early numbers so high I won't be able to make it happen, but I also don't want to come back mid-project, asking for more money.

Ryan

Actually, now that I look a little closer-----the pic I posted above is from his NEW vehicle. The other pic on the POR thread is from his old vehicle(at least near as I can tell).

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
OK, I am totally wrong, I think. Is this the pic you wanted? The Links are identical to his old rig.....

Mabey I wasnt' paying as much attention as you thought! :rolleyes: Just as a disclaimer, he did have a HELLA huge skidplate on it!

886244-shaffer14.jpg

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Originally posted by Ryan

The budget is a tough one. It's basically whatever I can convince a few people is needed. It sounds like you've done the math on this a few times, what about do you come out at? I don't want to have early numbers so high I won't be able to make it happen, but I also don't want to come back mid-project, asking for more money.

I've seen alot of Sami builds, so just estimating. No real math goin' on here. It won't become clear until you've paid for the vehicle and decide on the drivetrain. Do you have any parts like tires or rims hanging around or do you need to buy those too?

Greg

Admin
Why not hack off the Front Drive unit of the first T-Case, and bolt a plate over the gaping hole? Then you could forget the Carrier Bearing and funky driveshaft.....

Ryan

I'm thinkin' the pic above(with the blue links), is of his old vehicle, BEFORE he sold it. He very well could have yanked all that out when he sold it. I just don't remember what was in it in Farmington. He might have used the tranny and t-cases above in his new one, but with the 1.8, and the new owner swapped in the 22RE and stuff. That's my thinking.

Ryan

Originally posted by Greg
Why not hack off the Front Drive unit of the first T-Case, and bolt a plate over the gaping hole? Then you could forget the Carrier Bearing and funky driveshaft.....

That's another option I've heard of people doing. Everybody has mentioned sending the case to someone to have it cut off, although I would imagine you could do it yourself with a little trickery:D

Greg

Admin
I'm thinkin' the pic above(with the blue links), is of his old vehicle, BEFORE he sold it. He very well could have yanked all that out when he sold it. I just don't remember what was in it in Farmington. He might have used the tranny and t-cases above in his new one, but with the 1.8, and the new owner swapped in the 22RE and stuff. That's my thinking.

Ah, YES!! You are sooooo correct. That would explaine the FRAME, rather than the full Tube Rig he is now running!

Greg

Admin
That's another option I've heard of people doing. Everybody has mentioned sending the case to someone to have it cut off, although I would imagine you could do it yourself with a little trickery:D

A Machine Shop with a metal Band Saw could chop if in a matter of seconds, "Hello, Jed......". You might be able to handle the rest by yourself. My Lincoln can weld Aluminum with the correct kit.

Ryan

I've seen alot of Sami builds, so just estimating. No real math goin' on here. It won't become clear until you've paid for the vehicle and decide on the drivetrain. Do you have any parts like tires or rims hanging around or do you need to buy those too?

Here's a ROUGH idea of where I see it right now.

stock sami $1000 already found
stock sidekick(1.6, tranny, t-case) $800 already found
toy axles, locked, geared, hysteer $1500 3rd's found
coil suspension materials $600
divorced toy case with gears $1200
tires and beadlocks $1100
roll cage, tubing(rent bender) $500
winch $700
drivelines, shocks $500
misc. $1000

total: $8900

I will also have a newer soft top to sell, as well as the old zuki drivetrain, axles, etc.

This is just from what I have been thinking about and finding out about the last few days. Let me know if any of this is way off, or if I'm totally forgetting anything.

Ryan

Also note that with my time constraints and zero experience bending tube, I may go minimal on the tube and have somebody else work on it(Von;)), at which point it will just take however long it takes, and that's life. I'd rather pay and wait for somebody that knows what they're doing rather than spend all kinds of time and money screwing it up myself, LOL.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
I keep thinking it sounds high, but thats because there are 2 Samurais here (one of which is fairly built already), and alot of the parts you'd need are kicking around in the shop. Since you're starting with nothing, I can see where all the money needs to be spent. Looks like $9,000 is a pretty close estimate.

Ryan

Here's a thought I had the other day. Use the front output of the kick t-case as a PTO, and run it to the front of the vehicle where it would be attached to a prop from a Cessna 170. A little extra help gettin' up those steep climbs...

Okay, it's waaay late...

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Anywho, its been fun. This will make for good tech and an excellent rig. I'd like to see it ready for St. George. Unfortunately, we won't be in the Legends class to spank it. :rolleyes: :D

Ryan

I keep thinking it sounds high, but thats because there are 2 Samurais here (one of which is fairly built already), and alot of the parts you'd need are kicking around in the shop. Since you're starting with nothing, I can see where all the money needs to be spent. Looks like $9,000 is a pretty close estimate.

So do you have any of the parts I will be needing that don't already have a home? I had all kinds of parts kicking around before I moved a few weeks ago, but nowhere to put it, so I got rid of everything. Oh well, none of it would have helped much with this project anyway. (2) Sami's as in being worked on for customers? Or (2) Sami's that are looking to be adopted?:D

Ryan

What gears would you run in the Cases? What does the Crawl Ratio end up at?

I think the kick is around 3.5*1.8*4.7*5.29=157

If I didn't go 4.7 it would be more like 76:1. I'm not sure that would work all that great.

Ryan

Anywho, its been fun. This will make for good tech and an excellent rig. I'd like to see it ready for St. George. Unfortunately, we won't be in the Legends class to spank it. :rolleyes: :D

I realize this won't be read tonight, but the question still stands-----why not Legend? Are you guys going to be running the buggy? What's to become of the truck?