Competition buggy...

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Hey Ryan, since I can't post pics in a PM, I'll throw one up here.
The white one is injected and the one that was going to be torn apart. I think I might keep it in one piece until we're able to check out the wirng differences between the carb and f.i. setups. We do have another stock one that could be used for a project. Send me a PM if you have any questions.

Ryan

Originally posted by Vonski

When using the 1.3 head on the 1.6 block, you need to use a 1.6 head gasket (of course, don't get a cheap one). If you were using a Kick tranny, then you're there. If you wanted to use the 1.6 block mated to the stock Sami 5speed, then you'd need the components I spoke about earlier in the thread as well as a "mix and match" of various 1.3 and 1.6 parts.

I personally have not had the opportunity to wire-up a fuel injected 8v or 16v setup in a Sami. However, I know of a source for a custom wiring harness that should make it simple. As of today, we now have a fuel injected Sami here to do a bit of R&D. BTW, F.I. makes all the difference in the world for the 1.3. I can't wait to slap it on a 1.6 block!

From what I've read, it sounds like your wise to avoid the OBD engines, just for the wiring nightmare. Not sure, but I think they started around '95. From what I've been able to find, anything newer is generally hard to find for cheap unless it's wrecked, and I can't even find any of those locally, so I don't think I'll have to worry about that.

Thanks for the info on the block swap.

Give me your opinions on something(anyone), if you would. I'm thinking I might be better off to start out with a semi-built EFI Sami, just to get some seat time before deciding for certain what I want. I know this isn't a screaming deal, but taking into consideration that it's wheelable as it is, and it would save me a ton of buildup time, how good or bad of a deal is this:

1990 Sami
soft top
EFI
5 speed
GRS II (4.89)
lockrights
custom bumpers
skidplate
minimal cage
CD
CB
AC
excellent condition body and interior
33" MT/R's with good tread on new steel wheels
SOA, front frame stretched with longer leafs
rocker protection
new intake and exhaust

$4500, pic below

So------way high? In the ballpark?

Granted I could buy a stripped Sami and sidekick and get the EFI with a bigger engine for less money, but it would require a WHOLE lot more work and time. By the time I sell off everything I don't need off of the EFI Sami, and compare it to what it would take to get a stripped Sami and kick drivetrain to about the same point, the cost is pretty close, assuming I can get the Sami for more like $4000. Not to mention a 1.6 block swap down the road sounds like it would be fairly painless.

Hmmmmmm...

I think I'm hashing this out this waaaay too much. Escpecially since I haven't even secured the funds yet, LOL.

BTW, thanks for the pic Von. Hopefully I will know pretty soon what I'm doing.

Last edited:

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
35" MTRs are good to have on bigger axles but THEY WILL NOT KEEP YOUR STOCK AXLES ALIVE FOR LONG!!! the tallest tire that has ever not broken a samurai axle is the stock 215 75 r15 tire!! 35" tires will destroy axles!!! especiall with the grsII t-case!!

other than that it sounds like a price to start off with....if you want to wheel the thing, those 35 will have to go before you put tire on dirt!! swap in some toy axles or some waggy d-44s and you are set for life with 35s.

Ryan

Originally posted by spencurai
35" MTRs are good to have on bigger axles but THEY WILL NOT KEEP YOUR STOCK AXLES ALIVE FOR LONG!!! the tallest tire that has ever not broken a samurai axle is the stock 215 75 r15 tire!! 35" tires will destroy axles!!! especiall with the grsII t-case!!

other than that it sounds like a price to start off with....if you want to wheel the thing, those 35 will have to go before you put tire on dirt!! swap in some toy axles or some waggy d-44s and you are set for life with 35s.

It's got 33's on it now. I definitely wouldn't run 35's on the stock axles. In fact, the plan would be to swap in some Toy axles first thing.

I thought the price probably seemed about right, although not a screamin' deal. I've found somewhat comparable Sami's for a little less, but lacking the EFI and a few other things.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
depending on thw weight of your foot on the skinny pedal, 33s might stand up to LIGHT wheeling. if it is locked up in the front expect to blow at least on birfield on your first trip if it doesn't have longfields in it. go for the toy axles and traction bars front and rear to start.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Hey Ryan, the red Sami pictured above would definitely be the quickest way to achieve your goal. The question is, can you pull off the rest of the project and stay under budget? If so, go for it. However, I do need to "rub in" the fact that we've never paid more than $500 for any of the Samurais we've purchased. :D
(none of them have been built like the red one though if that makes ya feel better.)

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
Hey Ryan, the red Sami pictured above would definitely be the quickest way to achieve your goal. The question is, can you pull off the rest of the project and stay under budget? If so, go for it. However, I do need to "rub in" the fact that we've never paid more than $500 for any of the Samurais we've purchased. :D
(none of them have been built like the red one though if that makes ya feel better.)

I got taken on my first zuk at 1200 bucks but the motor lasted until the beginning of this month and that was about 2 years so I guess it was alright considering the constant abuse it took. may latest project cost me a cool 200$ :) I will always follow the 500$ RULE of samurais....but then again no zuk I own will ever be as pretty as that red one!!:eek:

Ryan

I know, I know---you can either spend money or time, and sometimes both, but never neither(wow, somebody write that down:D).

It's still a big debate that goes on constantly in my head(can you tell?). The one above would get me going, and assuming I could get it for $4000, by the time I sold the axles and lockers, wheels and tires, bumpers, and cage(not quite enough for me), I might be down to $3000. To buy a stripped Sami, a sidekick, and whatever else to get it to the point of the one above, including adding a Toy case or whatever for gearing, I wouldn't be too much cheaper than the $3000 for the one above. Granted I would have a 1.6 and better gearing(about 160:1 as opposed to 95:1...DAMN. Now I've just about got myself talked into starting from scratch, LOL) , but it would take a HELLUVA lot more work and time. Not to mention a future 1.6 swap would be easier, and hopefully 95:1 would work out okay.

Don't mind me, I'm just thinking out loud:rolleyes:

Ryan

Originally posted by spencurai

I got taken on my first zuk at 1200 bucks but the motor lasted until the beginning of this month and that was about 2 years so I guess it was alright considering the constant abuse it took. may latest project cost me a cool 200$ :) I will always follow the 500$ RULE of samurais....but then again no zuk I own will ever be as pretty as that red one!!:eek:

Oh yeah, it's pretty, LOL. I'm thinking I'll probably end up starting out with most of the sheetmetal, and then hack body and add tube as time and money become available(wether I go with something like the one above, or start from scratch). Also, if someone else is going to be paying for this thing(or at least loaning me the money until I win enough to pay them back, which may be never, LOL), it's gotta be pretty enough that they'll want to stick their name on it in the meantime.

$4500 does seem pretty hard to justify for a Sami though, even as built as this one is. You never know, maybe he'd take $1200:D

Vonski

nothing to see here...
I say try to talk him down on the price. If he's firm on $4500, just buy the damn thing and sell anything ya don't need. I would normally recommend buying something cheap and building it yourself, but you don't have alot of time. Ya know, alot of people spend alot more on a lesser equipped Jeep. Use that for justification why don't ya... :D

BTW, you'll have to tell me the guy's name sometime. I remember the Sami from my days at RRO.

Ryan

I say try to talk him down on the price. If he's firm on $4500, just buy the damn thing and sell anything ya don't need. I would normally recommend buying something cheap and building it yourself, but you don't have alot of time. Ya know, alot of people spend alot more on a lesser equipped Jeep. Use that for justification why don't ya... :D

BTW, you'll have to tell me the guy's name sometime. I remember the Sami from my days at RRO.

When I actually get a pile of cash in my hand, we'll see what I do:D

How long ago did you work at RRO, and for how long?