Coolest Trar Evar!!

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
A friend of mines daily driver is a 55 Plymouth Plaza 4 door, he has left the bulk of the 6 volt stuff intact, while upgrading other stuff to 12 volt.

He has 2 deep cycle 6 volts for batteries, and uses relays to split the power accordingly.

I can get you an email addy if you like, and you two can talk.

I appreciate the offer, I think I might go straight to 12v all the way around. But just in case, PM me with his email addy. Thanks!

Awesome.

Bike hauler eh? I saw some pretty dang cool Cummins car swaps at SEMA this year... How killer would that be :cool:

We will see about the bike hauler, it needs to be reliable first. But I guess that might be a good reason to have a motorcycle in the back. :D

I think a Cummins would shake the rust apart... would be cool in a huge Merc, but I don't think the Chevy has the frame for that much vibration & torque.

That is too funny, can't wait to see what you do with it. :cool:

It won't be too much, just get it running if I can, drop it a bit and drive the tires off it. :cool:

rollover

Find a rolled truck and swap the body's out. Best of both worlds. Newer reliable drive-train and the classic body. That would make a nice sleeper set up.

Greg

Admin
Find a rolled truck and swap the body's out. Best of both worlds. Newer reliable drive-train and the classic body. That would make a nice sleeper set up.

I think I like the idea of keeping the original parts. Keeping it close to factory, as odd as that sounds considering this thing, would be that much cooler IMO.

RustEoldtrux

RustEoldtrux
Aussie Ute

We took a few pic's of an original Australian Ute at Speed Week in 2008 on the Bonneville Salt Flats. The '59 Caddy push car was awesome.

Attachments

• Salt Flats 8-19-08 173.jpg
    Salt Flats 8-19-08 173.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 22
  • Salt Flats 8-19-08 174.jpg
    Salt Flats 8-19-08 174.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Salt Flats 8-19-08 161.jpg
    Salt Flats 8-19-08 161.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 35

RustEoldtrux

RustEoldtrux
'59 Cad

We never saw the Caddy in action, so didn't get to see what it was pushing off the start line. I used to speed out to the Salt Flats after work in the '70s to catch the last few runs of the day. Then I never went back until 2008 - the difference was astounding. Only a few hundred people in the '70s to probably over 20,000 now. It's one of the most entertaining events you'll ever go to. After the last runs of the day, there is usually a rod show at one of the hotel parking lots.

Attachments

• Salt Flats 8-19-08 004.jpg
    Salt Flats 8-19-08 004.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 15
  • Salt Flats 8-19-08 063.jpg
    Salt Flats 8-19-08 063.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Salt Flats 8-19-08 291.jpg
    Salt Flats 8-19-08 291.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 15

Greg

Admin
Get er home yet? Awaiting more pics.. maybe I should have searched for "El Combino"

Yep, towed the El Combino home yesterday. :busted: It's still sitting on Badbuggys trailer out in the street, I need to unload it today. I was going to put it in the garage out of sight, for the good of the neighborhood but my diesel Jetta really hates sitting outside overnight and starting the next morning, so the El Combino will have to wait out Winter in the driveway. :D

I had a friend who was going to tow the car for my with his 1 Ton Dodge, but he ended up needing to take care of other business, so we towed the big trailer and the El Combino with the wifes '03 V8 Toyota 4Runner. It has a towing capacity of 5,000 #'s and I'm sure we exceeded it by a few hundred pounds. The trailer is big and heavy and the car itself originally weighed 3,600 #'s. I was actually surprised how well the 4Runner towed that much weight. I thought it would be sketchy, but it handled it very well. I think the stiffer OME suspension really helped the load distribution, it hardly sagged. The 4Runner wasn't unstable at all towing at 60-65 MPH, plenty of power and it even managed 12 MPG towing over 5,000 #s!

I cleaned out the bed of the El Combino yesterday, it has window screens, bricks, old tires, TONS of leaves, etc all piled up in the bed. After that, I hauled it down to the car wash and sprayed it off. It cleaned up pretty well.

After a closer look at the plates, it appears that the car was last registered in '86. Hopefully that means it was running and driving then, which if it was, it may be a matter of some work to get it running again. :cool: Time will tell!

Greg

Admin
no pics of the interior? No pics of the slightly cleaner version? No underhood pics?!?!

:D

You'll have to wait... :D It looks a little better, but it's no huge improvement.

We did however, buy a new 6V battery for the car! I got it cranking, it turns over, but I don't seem to be getting spark. It's literally frozen, since I pressure washed EVERYTHING, including under the hood and let it sit outside for 24 hrs. There were icicles hanging off the block, etc... so I put the electric block heater on it and set a propane heater under the hood and started thawing it out. I'm going to try cranking it over again and see if anything changed.

It does have good compression, which is a good sign. After hooking up the new battery, we did have lighting in the glove box. Sounds silly, but that was exciting!! :greg: