Coronavirus

Noahfecks

El Destructo!
For some perspective, the community I live in (roughly 15k residents) has 33 confirmed cases but the number is actually much higher as the local health officials have discontinued testing. So far no one has died and only one has needed hospitalization.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
^ More on that: https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/03...dont-do-what-we-did/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

@Noahfecks, I get that you're skeptical of anything that comes from the mainstream media and that being told to modify your life for this thing chafes. My suggestion would be to get past CNN and BBC and look to primary sources for your info. I posted some upthread, there's tons others out there. Ignore the hyperbole and the articles about toilet paper hoarders and look at the raw numbers.

Or look at eyewitness testimony from people that are the thick of it now. Here's a quote from that article I just linked:

What has happened in Italy shows that less-than-urgent appeals to the public by the government to slightly change habits regarding social interactions aren’t enough when the terrible outcomes they are designed to prevent are not yet apparent; when they become evident, it’s generally too late to act. I and many other Italians just didn’t see the need to change our routines for a threat we could not see.

Without meaning any offense, that's basically you, dude. You're the guy that doesn't see the need to change for a threat that isn't affecting you personally right now. But right now is when you and all of us have to change if we're going to slow this thing down and buy some time.

Your call, man. Me, I'm going to stay home when I can and live off my food storage if I have too and head out for some desert time when I absolutely can't abide another second in my home.

Last edited:

Bart

This not a virus you can say will just come and go without any impact. In Italy the healthcare system is past maxed out and they are now determining who is most likely to to survive, which is who gets the ventilators and treatments, while the older and more susceptible people are being comforted while they die. If my grandson catches this, he will die. If you get your news from Fox Entertainment it will be misleading to the right, and if you get your news from MSNBC, it will biased to the left. Do some due diligence and get all the facts instead of just the ones you want to hear.

Tonkaman

I was just told that IHC is waiving the fee for Connect Care to encourage people to not come into their facilities.

For those of you that don’t know, connect care is basically Skype with a doctor. They go through symptoms, treatment and even write prescriptions. All without getting off your couch!

Just an FYI for those that didn’t already know.

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
Both of my parents are in their 60’s - my dad is recovering from open heart surgery, and my mom has serious arthritis, meaning her medication has shut down her immune system. They live two doors down from my grandparents, both in their 90’s. I’m not worried about my 4 little kids, or myself/wife. But if my mom grabs a gas pump handle that has been infected with the virus within the last 9 days, then heads home to bring dinner to my grandparents...there’s going to be big problems in that neighborhood. Is the risk of them being infected low? Maybe, but it’s almost certainly much greater than they think. Are the consequences of infection unacceptably high? Absolutely. Is the net cost of their isolation unacceptably high? Not really, though certainly inconvenient. Yet, it seems all their kids seem more concerned than they are. At this point I am not thrilled they‘ve been looking to Sean Hannity for their Coronavirus guidelines.

Last edited:

Jesser04

Am I the only one who thinks we’re on the verge of seeing some apocalyptic shit? 78% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck I think by the end of the week the country will be on lockdown for 2 weeks minimum. When that 78% goes a couple pay periods without a check shit will get real and fast.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Am I the only one who thinks we’re on the verge of seeing some apocalyptic shit? 78% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck I think by the end of the week the country will be on lockdown for 2 weeks minimum. When that 78% goes a couple pay periods without a check shit will get real and fast.

There's already orders in place preventing utilities from disconnecting services. They're going to do the same to landlords and mortgage companies and insurance companies, etc. Nobody is going to get kicked out or have anything repossessed in the short term. If/when folks start running out of food, I expect there will be emergency food stamps or something to help get them by - especially here in Utah, you just know that the Church will open their warehouses. Folks will have what they need.

What I'm worried about is the hospitals. If they hit max capacity and have to start turning people away, I foresee unrest in the big cities. Somebody, rightly or wrongly, is going to play the race card and BLM will do what they do and somebody is going to get shot and I could see that getting ugly really fast.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
So what is the end game here? We need distancing, we need quarantine, why? The only thing it does is flatten the curve. Instead of everyone getting sick at once, we drag it out. Sure, this keeps the hospitals from being completely overwhelmed

You answered your own question.

tHe OnLy ThInG iT dOeS = less people die

I don't think we are there yet, but it wouldn't take much more to push it over the edge. In the grand scheme of things, covid 19 is not yet as bad as it could be. Can you imagine what would happen if there were an earthquake, flood, etc at the same time? I really don't think the average American can conceive of how little it would take to break our society completely down. The recent huff over a little TP might have given them an inkling!