Coronavirus

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
My question is if I had real covid why do I need a vaccine? Won't my real covid antibodies last just as long as the induced antibodies? I realize no one here can give the scientific answer, just bothers me the pressure to get the vaccine when I have the real antibodies

J-mobzz

I agree with both of you. I'm so not worried about getting covid. I hated the idea of getting vaccinated just so I could attend upcoming conferences and probably fly in the not to distant future. While my boss was ranting about not wanting to get vaccinated I just stopped her and said I didn't want it either but I have shit to do and money to make. I'll protest all sorts of stuff when I'm retired but right now I just want to get back to traveling and making money.

Houndoc

I’m not anti-vaccine, but I am for the idea of stuff having been tested longer.

Right now, not having a vaccine has not affected my life in any way, and my plan is to wait as long as possible until for whatever reason I ‘need’ to get one.

My thought process there is you never know what improvement discoveries may be made between now and then that may or may not play a significant difference in the science.
I can relate to that reasoning, and when new drugs or treatment options come out that could be used in my patients I usually take a 'wait and see' approach to make sure it is an improvement over what I already have.

But, when you are talking about an infectious disease that is causing loss of life and economic disruptions worldwide, that luxury really isn't there.

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
I can relate to that reasoning, and when new drugs or treatment options come out that could be used in my patients I usually take a 'wait and see' approach to make sure it is an improvement over what I already have.

But, when you are talking about an infectious disease that is causing loss of life and economic disruptions worldwide, that luxury really isn't there.
Is not really a luxury. I will wait and see but my lifestyle affords me that. I don’t have to see anyone really, except when I need supplies and some day when I need maintenance on my van that I can’t do myself, out in the wild.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
That's exciting news indeed!

I'm going to continue wearing masks in businesses that ask me to. They have the right to ask me to do it and I have the right to shop elsewhere if I want to. That's probably the way it should've been all along. #notadoctorthough #justtryingnottobeadick

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I guess I don't understand how these laws work. The state passes a law, but the counties/cities come out and pass contradicting laws. Now I'm supposed to forget what the state says and follow my city leaders? Seems to me the state would trump county and city laws. Is that not right?

Houndoc

I guess I don't understand how these laws work. The state passes a law, but the counties/cities come out and pass contradicting laws. Now I'm supposed to forget what the state says and follow my city leaders? Seems to me the state would trump county and city laws. Is that not right?
The state only said that the governor's state of emergency and related restrictions end April 10. As the idea of 'local control' supports, does not restrict county and city level health measures. At this stage in the pandemic makes sense as it allows different requirements based on local conditions.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
The city has come out and said they are keeping the mandate in effect.

Honestly, this is the best case scenario for businesses like mine. Whether I agree with masks or not, I have many employees that are very pro-mask and wouldn't be comfortable right now if the masks were dropped. I can't (won't) ask my employees to do something that makes them feel uncomfortable (within reason), so at least the City is going to be the bad guy when people start being assholes about masks. Like @xj_nate said, it's easier to just put on a mask and deal with the minor inconvenience than to try and get into a political debate with the customer facing employee that doesn't make the rules...or shop elsewhere.

The pro vs anti mask debates are only going to get uglier and more redundant for the next few months I think. Hopefully it doesn't bring out the worst in everybody.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
The city has come out and said they are keeping the mandate in effect.

Honestly, this is the best case scenario for businesses like mine. Whether I agree with masks or not, I have many employees that are very pro-mask and wouldn't be comfortable right now if the masks were dropped. I can't (won't) ask my employees to do something that makes them feel uncomfortable (within reason), so at least the City is going to be the bad guy when people start being assholes about masks. Like @xj_nate said, it's easier to just put on a mask and deal with the minor inconvenience than to try and get into a political debate with the customer facing employee that doesn't make the rules...or shop elsewhere.

The pro vs anti mask debates are only going to get uglier and more redundant for the next few months I think. Hopefully it doesn't bring out the worst in everybody.
The decision, she said, comes from data that shows the city continues to experience high COVID-19 case rates and that COVID-19 vaccinations have been disproportionately distributed through the city's many neighborhoods. That's on top of ongoing threats of coronavirus variants.

"By the state's own standards, every part of Salt Lake City is still in the high rate of case incidences or very high rate," she explained.

I'll get the debate started :rofl: so clearly from her own words the masks are really helping a lot!

J-mobzz

I’ve been very good about wearing masks and not making a fuss. I’ve done it to help support local businesses and keep the economy going. At this point with so many people vaccinated and many more getting it every day, I’m kinda to the point where if I have an option to go to place A and not wear a mask or place B that is still requiring masks. I’m not wearing one.