Report Expedition Overland

sixstringsteve

My favorite part about this series is that they're a group of regular guys who made the dream happen. They film it, edit it, and produce it themselves. That's awesome to see it grow into what it's become. I can only imagine how huge of a project it would be to film one episode, let alone 12.

Last edited:

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I agree Steve. I was blown away by aerial shots every episode. I can't image the effort put into just getting those shots.
Great series. I'm very jealous that Kurt gets to be a part of projects like this and very happy to see someone local involved. I'd say for many of us it's the local tie that makes this type of thing more interesting and seem like it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

sixstringsteve

I saw a really good talk by shame and vulnerability psychologist Brene Brown.

[video=youtube;8-JXOnFOXQk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-JXOnFOXQk[/video]

She talks about about our critics. She says some of us are gladiators sticking our necks out, trying new things, getting the crap beat out of us in the arena. Then there are the critics in the stands, telling us what we should and shouldn't be doing, critiquing us. She says "if they're not in the arena themselves, sticking their necks out, I don't care what they have to say." It's easy to criticize a show when you've never made one, or a pitch when you've never stood on the mound, or a performance when you've never been on stage. The amount of time and energy that these guys put into this can't even be fathomed. I think we assume that since they're getting paid for it, we can expect an award-winning script, performance, and videography. They're just guys that like to go wheeling that got into this (albeit with some fantastic camera and editing skills), and stuck their neck out, entering the arena to try and chase their dreams.

It's like those guys on YouTube who go around criticizing everyone's videos, yet they have zero video uploads themselves.

I haven't even done 1% of what these guys are doing, and I'm exhausted, between planning the route, getting rigs ready, setting up the schedule and the locations and the timeframe, then actually trying to film it while being the actor/subject yourself. Then there's the scripting, the keeping track of all your gear, making sure you're backing everything up, syncing 4+ cameras worth of footage for each day, the hundreds of hours of editing for each episode, all while trying to stay safe and enjoy yourself in these countries. It sounds like the opportunity of a lifetime, but an exhausting one at that.

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
...Toyota's blow just as many headgaskets as Land Rovers...

That we can agree on, same number of head gaskets. But they have made about 1000x more Toyota's. Seriously though, there isn't a chance the percentage of HG failures are even remotely close, like remotely. Nearly EVERY LR owner I know with a Disco II has blown the HG's, that's more than every Toyota HG failure I know, for real.

...Then I can take all that money I didn't use to take out a $20K loan on a Land Cruiser and put it into Modifications for wheeling.

People drive around the world in $10k Land Cruisers. Beats canceling your weekend Swell trip because you bought a Rover imo. Can you spend more on a Cruiser, sure... buy once, cry once.

...Everyone likes to hop on the bandwagon and try to bash Land Rover, when they are using all the technology that Land Rover developed.

Ha! "using all the technology that Land Rover developed" would elude to current technology being currently utilized. Every auto manufacture borrows, improves or implements the technology of others, always have, always will. Keep in mind the original LR prototype was in face built using a surplus Jeep frame, axles and suspension. Has Toyota used and improved upon the technology of others, of course... welcome to the manufacturing world, they would be idiots to ignore trends, features and the wants, needs and desires of consumers.

And remember, you were the one that kicked off the brand bashing. I'm just happy to oblige. ;)

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I am really bummed the season is over as well. If it was me I wouldn't go into the gap. Adventure is great but, when you start going beyond the normal risks of adventure and go into those kinds of risks then the adventure can take a very wrong turn. Adventuring should come with rewards and I am not saying the gap wouldn't have its own rewards but, how would anyone feel if someone in the group suffered a serious injury, kidnapping, death, hostage, etc. etc. etc? There are so many other options I would consider first before I attempted the gap. Options that offer just as much reward with out those kinds of risks.

Great discussion. Those were all factors considered by Clay and team when it was decided we wouldn't take the ferry across. I fully intend to cross the Darien Gap at some point in my life but it will be a mission solely to accomplish just that, i.e. vehicles built specific for that purpose, team specific for that purpose and all the logistics, permits and planning specific to that purpose. I've met with a few gents about this over the years including a local Panamanian and Columbian (who plans to do it on dirtbike in 2016) and think that it's doable. All it takes to do and do it right it is $$$.

The cool thing about these videos is that it often inspires me to go out and see what our own country has to offer. There are so many places here in the US that I haven't yet seen. I think that is the point of these videos. Get people out and get them to explore in their own way.

Absolutely! There is so much adventure to be had just in the Western US, like a lifetime of adventure & exploring. Obviously everyone has a different appetite but some are satisfied with a lifetime of exploring within the Southern Utah alone :cool:

Congrats to Kurt and the gang for an epic adventure and video series. Thank you for sharing...

Thank you for watching!

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
... I'd say for many of us it's the local tie that makes this type of thing more interesting and seem like it's not out of the realm of possibility...

It's certainly not out of the realm. Put your name out there, don't turn down neat opportunities when they present themselves and don't fear planning your own when they don't. In Utah alone we have the routes, terrain and locations to make a 3-30 day off-road trip, expand from there and the sky is the limit. Thanks for watching!

sixstringsteve

I finally finished the series. The montage at the end was really cool. I had a tough time getting in to season 1, but season 2 got me hooked. They seem like really great guys. Very inspiring.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
It's easy to criticize a show when you've never made one, or a pitch when you've never stood on the mound, or a performance when you've never been on stage.

I had a come to jesus moment a while ago, and learned this lesson. I realized how critical I am of stuff I have no business being critical over. If my wife cooks a meal that I don't like, I don't have the right to tell her how bad it is. If I want something different, then I can cook it. Otherwise I have the obligation to shut up, and eat what is provided for me.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I had a come to jesus moment a while ago, and learned this lesson. I realized how critical I am of stuff I have no business being critical over. If my wife cooks a meal that I don't like, I don't have the right to tell her how bad it is. If I want something different, then I can cook it. Otherwise I have the obligation to shut up, and eat what is provided for me.
My mother has a sign that reads, "be reasonable, do it my way." subsequently my father has a saying, if you want it done your way, do it yourself. I try to be the compromise of the two :)

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Bryson. Bring on the opportunities.:D

And did I not just invite you to go on an adventure? ;)

I finally finished the series. The montage at the end was really cool. I had a tough time getting in to season 1, but season 2 got me hooked. They seem like really great guys. Very inspiring.

Thanks Steve. Glad to hear you enjoyed it. Clay and team are great guys, super high moral caliber and the fact we spent a couple of months traveling together and didn't have any blow ups is a true testimonial to Clay's ability to choose the team, it was a pure and humbling honor to be on the team.

I think we are all guilty of that, I know I absolutely am and it's something I work on.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Deleted Scene: The Most Capable Vehicle Is A Rental Car

[video=youtube;VeVaR3U1Pjg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeVaR3U1Pjg[/video]

rholbrook

My mother has a sign that reads, "be reasonable, do it my way." subsequently my father has a saying, if you want it done your way, do it yourself. I try to be the compromise of the two :)

I try to tell teach my kids that if its worth doing, its worth doing right. I have made my kids mow the lawn twice before.

I find myself becoming that old guy that says what is on his mind. My kids always tell me I could be nicer to people. My sister-in-law was trying on some pants at my house and I had the misfortune of being there. She made the mistake of asking me and my wife is the pants made her ass look big. I told her that her ass made her ass look big. I got in trouble from my wife but the best thing that came of it was my SIL didnt talk to me for nearly a month. Worth getting in trouble.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Some more deleted scenes

[video=youtube;W5yP3vQ2t3I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5yP3vQ2t3I[/video]

[video=youtube;Wb29DrQrqo8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb29DrQrqo8[/video]

[video=youtube;4tvOaiuu184]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tvOaiuu184[/video]

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
With the season and episodes all behind us I can post some of my personal pics and those from others in our group, no spoiler alerts needed :D

10836579_10152695810647653_1925332091_n (Small).jpg

11158056_10152695815467653_1909493322_n (Small).jpg

20150228_205300 (Small).jpg

20150308_165636 (Small).jpg

20150327_065713 (Small).jpg

20150329_113136 (Small).jpg

received_10152695824707653 (Small).jpeg

received_10152696263787653 (Small).jpeg