Experience with any of the pocket 9mm guns?

Caleb

I'm looking to get a real small carry gun. I work with a lot of very liberal weenies, and being in management, I'd hate to make anyone feel uncomfortable by me having a gun on me. So, I ankle carry, which solves that for the most part, however I'm still quite limited on what pants will fit over my current gun. As a result, I've been looking in to some of the pocket 9mm guns. The ones really that I'm considering are (in order):

Kimber Solo
Sig P290
Ruger LC9 (I think this is the biggest one of them all)

I definitely want single stack even though the number of rounds is way more limited. So, does anyone have any experience with any of these? I'm mostly interested in experience with the Kimber and the Sig, but would love any thoughts on any of them (or something else I've missed, please no KelTec recommendations :D)

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I really thought about a LC9 myself, but I figure if i'm going that big I may as well go with a M&P shield that Steve mentioned.

Also might consider the Ruger LCP it's a .380 but it's much much smaller if you truly want a pocket pistol

If your going to carry on the ankle you may consider a small framed revolver

Edit:

Also look at the KAHR's, I had a PM9 for a couple of years and I really liked it. Super thin a lot more comfortable to carry IWB than a glock. I sold mine because it's not an authorized off duty weapon for me, I carry a Glock 23 now, but if I can ever track down a shield I will probably pick one up

I didn't know about that Sig 290 thats another brand we are authorized to carry that might be a good alternative for me, I really like the shields but I despise safeties

Last edited:

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Caleb - let me know the next time you are over by my work. I'll show you just how concealed you can get the LC9 on your hip.

Caleb

Here are a bunch of charts I found...everything is compared to the Kimber, but almost everything is there (besides the shield as these were from 2011ish and that was released in 2012).

Solo-SWAirweight357Comparison-1.jpgGlock26-KimberSolocomparisonchart-1.jpgSolo-RohrbaughR9sComparison3-1.jpgSolo-P290comparison3-1.jpgLCR-Solocomparison-1.jpgLC9-Solocomparison-1.jpgPM9-Solocomparison-1.jpgSolo-PPScomparison-1.jpgPT709-Solocomparison-1.jpgPF9-Solocomparison-1.jpg

Last edited:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Caleb - let me know the next time you are over by my work. I'll show you just how concealed you can get the LC9 on your hip.
I'm interested in that too. I've been carrying my LC9 since a week before xmas. I need to look into more holster options.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I'm looking to get a real small carry gun. I work with a lot of very liberal weenies, and being in management, I'd hate to make anyone feel uncomfortable by me having a gun on me....

I thought part of being in IT was having people feel uncomfortable around you... ;)

Caleb

Yeah I will. From what I've heard about the LC9, is the way it's edges are shaped, allow it to conceal better. That might sound silly, but I think that would make a world of difference with my PF-11. It's small, compact, but it's like carrying a box around with all it's squared edges.

I've also thought about an LCP since it is quite a bit smaller, but I don't think I can bring myself to step down to a .380. Everything else I have already is 9mm, that's why I was hoping to stick with that.

Caleb

After doing a bit more research, I'm leaning away from the Kimber now. It seems (based on the reviews I've been finding) that it has a problem shooting more than 4-5 in a row without having a FTF or FTE. That's not what I want in a self-defense weapon.

Why not look at the Kahr cm9 or pm9? I haven't fired either one, but they look like the same form factor. Either way, I'm interested in what you find. I have a Keltec P32 and would like a 9mm pocket gun.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I have the LCP and love it, but it isnt a 9mm. I would like a LC9 becasue of the way my LCP functions.

I hada taurus 709 slim and really liked it.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Yeah I will. From what I've heard about the LC9, is the way it's edges are shaped, allow it to conceal better. That might sound silly, but I think that would make a world of difference with my PF-11. It's small, compact, but it's like carrying a box around with all it's squared edges.

I've also thought about an LCP since it is quite a bit smaller, but I don't think I can bring myself to step down to a .380. Everything else I have already is 9mm, that's why I was hoping to stick with that.

It conceals worlds better than my XD9-sub. I love both guns but I do prefer the XD9 for shooting and operating comfort. But for carry comfort and concealment the LC9 is awesome. It's really light and holds tight against you. And along with my new belt, I forget that it's even there most of the day.

I'm like you... I have tons of 9mm ammo. I don't need to throw another type into the mix. (see dad, I listen!)

SpeedyVic

Here's another gun to consider. Only a little bigger than the LC9, but you would gain a few more rounds and a metal frame. Both pluses in my book, but only if you can conceal it like you would want to.

http://www.bersa.com/bersa-firearms/thunder-uc-pro-series.html

Thunder-Pro-UC-9-duoNM-L-prev.jpg

I have the .45 UC Pro and like it a lot.