Experience with any of the pocket 9mm guns?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Since this thread, the Kahr is on my list now. It's about the size I'm looking for and seems like it's a fairly popular gun.

I'm really surprised how much I like my CW9 (a little bigger framed than a CM9 if I remember correctly) I'd buy another Kahr in a minute. Like the craftsmanship and trust that it will fire every time. (I don't think I've had a malfunction yet---likely have about 600-800 rounds through it by now)

Caleb

Another one that I thought about at first but for whatever reason have stopped thinking about it is the Walther PPS. I currently have a P99 and a P22 and love them. I've never had any kind of miss-fire in either of them and I bet I have several thousand rounds through the P22 and probably equally as much through the P99. Downside to the Walther is they have recently split from Smith and Wesson and so they may be tough to get for the next little bit while they figure out their importing again (they were importing through SW). I was also talking to a LGS and they said previously all warranty work was sent to Smith and Wesson, now they have no idea who to send warranty work to.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I found an older photo of my LC9 for a review I was going to do on UTFA (I'll probably finish that up soon).
I now have a much better belt that makes carrying so much nicer.

lagFd.jpg

muleskinner

I like how tiny that .22 is. Might be perfect for when I want to carry but the instance doesn't allow my sub compact

That's what I like so much about this little gun, it's always with me. I'd rather have this little thing in my pocket than leave my .45 or.38 in the car and not have anything. It even fits in my church pants;)

I don't need to pull it out of my pants for driving etc. My IWB holsters are VERY uncomfortable to sit or drive with.

sixstringsteve

I know this isn't on your list, but I bought my wife one last year and I love it.

http://www.impactguns.com/naa-22mag-1-18-holster-grip-hgmsnaa-hg-ms-744253000928.aspx

I keep it clipped in my front pocket and it looks and feels like a knife in your pocket. Super quick and easy to fold out too.

Run the ballistics on a 22 mag and you'll be shocked.

I have a NAA black widow and it's my favorite gun I own. Super easy to conceal and carry, and super fun to shoot. I'm pretty darn accurate with it too. And they come with a matched cylinder chambered for 22 LR to keep the cost down when plinking. Definitely not the solution for everyone, but I absolutely love mine.

Caleb

Well, I went down and fondled a bunch of different guns today. I'm really liking the Sig P290 the best. Right now, Galenson's has it on sale for $100 off as well, which means with the laser sight, it'd only be $480. That's pretty dang tempting. I played with the Kahr CM40 (CM9 was out-of-stock), the PPS, the Nano, the LC9, the SR9C, maybe a few others too. No Solo and no Shield...although the guy said the Shield is pretty much identical to the PPS (in size, shape, and feel) which makes sense as they were both made by the same company (Smith and Wesson) kind of like the P99 and SW99.

larrybenny

larrybenny
My cheapo pocket sigma 380 that I have carried for 15 years finally fell apart. I felt that I wanted a 9mm anyway because my other carry gun is a xd9 sub 9mm. But the xd9 is a little to bulky and heavy when wearing shorts and a t-shirt. I also wanted to standardize ammo since I have too many calibers. I bought the ruger lc9 at scheels for $369.00 2 mos. ago and really like it. I mostly use a uncle mikes size 1 pocket holster ($10.00) and carry in my front pocket. Don't really need a holster at all, but I am afraid it will print (show the outline).

Caleb

I found an older photo of my LC9 for a review I was going to do on UTFA (I'll probably finish that up soon).
I now have a much better belt that makes carrying so much nicer.

lagFd.jpg

That's pretty slick. Is that with a holster? Do you use a holster with it?

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
I am getting in on this late but from about 1959 until 1979 I carried a Beretta .22 long rifle that I think was made around 1950. Sold the gun and do not remember the model number. No permit, whats a permit, and only friends knew about it because it was so easy to carry. My uncle Howard had a .25 Colt wallet gun he carried while driving cab and Uncle Alva had a .32 S&W hammer-less revolver. The reason I mention this is most actual conflicts will be at close quarters and more people have been killed with a .22 in civilian life according to my uncle Alva who actually killed a Missouri mobster that had beat up his girlfriend (but that is another whole story). Only had to pull mine once and at the site of the gun the guy backed off. Size did not matter to him.

lhracing

"the guy said the Shield is pretty much identical to the PPS (in size, shape, and feel) which makes sense as they were both made by the same company (Smith and Wesson)"

I have shot both the Shield and PPS, are very close in size and feel. The Shield is a little less money if you can find one but I don't think you could go wrong with either. I believe the PPS is not made by S&W, it is built in Germany by Walther and marketed in the United States by S&W.

Caleb

I appreciate everyone's advice, I went and picked up a P290 today. Holding the several guns I did, it had the best feel to me. I also read a ton of reviews on it and everyone had nothing but great things to say about it. Only time will tell if it ends up for sale or I love it :D

Caleb

any idea how much gallensons charges for 9mm ammo?

I don't remember. Although I remember thinking it wasn't that good of a deal. Infact they were going through and marking all their ammo up. The best deal I've seen on 9mm recently is at Cabellas, they had some (don't remember the brand or load) name brand stuff for $12.99 for 50 rounds. Gallensons did have 9mm and 223 in-stock as of this afternoon.

jentzschman

I'm finding 9mm is becoming easy to find, just not at Wallyworld :D Everywhere else I've looked recently has had 9mm. The hard stuff to find is still .223/5.56 and when you do they want $0.75-$1.00 a round.

Dang, .75-100 a round, that is nuts. Glad I started keeping my brass a few months ago. I dont have too much, but some it better then none I guess right now.

I need to stock up on 9mm again... Guess I better start picking it up as I see it.

blznnp

yea, impact guns is $22 for a box of 50 9mm, walmart is $24 for a box of 100, but like you said, they don't seem to get them in at all. Scheels doesn't seem to get them in either. they do have some .223 I believe, but only limited to 2 boxes for customer

jentzschman

Not trying to hijack, but I have a question:

I have a glock 19, but want to get a g26. Has anyone carried them both? If so, what can you tell me about how they carry compared to each other?

Caleb

Not trying to hijack, but I have a question:

I have a glock 19, but want to get a g26. Has anyone carried them both? If so, what can you tell me about how they carry compared to each other?

I have a buddy who is more than proficient with guns and he swears by the G26 for a carry gun if you're going to carry a semi-auto.

Back to ammo talk :D when I was in Scheels the other day, they had a couple different types of 9mm and they had the Hornady .223, but it was $19.99 for 20. On the topic of keeping your brass, if you don't have a reloading setup already you may want to look in to that. I've been trying to get a .223 die set for mine and haven't been able to find any (every other caliber is in-stock, but .223 is sold out every where). I finally found a full die set at Sportsman's Warehouse today :D Now to start playing with the reloading stuff.