Extreme Scrambler Makeover

Nothing shouts "Hardcore!" like being high-centered in the parking lot.......... ;>)

LOL

Wish I had a pic from last Saturday at Costco in Sandy. There was a pile as tall as a minivan that covered several parking stalls, with a relatively flat top (2' valleys) that called out to me, so I parked up on top.

Glad I didn't get stuck. It was actually packed pretty good, and I could drive around on top.

Tallz

hey Maverick. Its a small world again. The company I work for plows that parking lot and after we had those mounds piled up I was thinking to myself how cool it would be to have my crawler done to go play around on those. They were pretty well packed and right until the owner (Costco) had us move them out of the parking area, I figured they were fair game for playing on. Maybe thats why they had us knock them down and move them to the north side retention pond.

Tallz

P.S. I just finihsed reading this thread. You have one great looking rig and well built it looks like too. A project to aspire to. Cant wait to see it in person!

The Stranger

Stranger Danger
This Jeep is awesome! I went barreling down some snowy trails with him a few weeks ago and was impressed with everything. It looks awesome (even better in person), sounds great, and handles business. I'm excited to see how it does on the trail this weekend.

Defiantly a high quality machine and an even better story to go along with it.

Very nice job

Hey thanks guys! It's a really fun jeep to own and drive, just wish I could find some tires that were cheaper cuz they wear out so fast. Can hardly wait until it's warm enough to get the top off again (though it's sure been nice to have a top this winter)

I'm having some fuel delivery issues right now, it's been cutting out at times. I have some ideas but haven't torn into it (fuel pump, filter, pickup, etc).

I also picked up a D60 for the front end w/Detroit and ram-assist. I picked up some 35-spline shafts and hubs from CarlPlus too. Gotta put it all together and swap it in over the next couple weeks.

Waking up an old thread...

Jeep has been well loved for a few years now, been to Rubicon twice, many trails in Moab and around Utah.

And it still runs hot, as we thought it would, due to the cruddy positioning of the engine (my fault), old Mepco chevy V8 swap radiator, and smallish electric fans that just don't provide the cfm. The radiator is in the stock location, and there's about 1/2" between the water pump pulley and the radiator. 4 fans on the radiator (2 push, 2pull) and a fan on an oil cooler on the drive fender and a fan on a small heater core mounted on the pass fender.

I bought the coveted Taurus fan when we did the build, but never installed it due to radiator to grill clearance issues. I Lean and I discussed surgery on the grill but I never coughed up the $$ to have him do it. The plan was to push the bottom of the radiator forward into the grill, slanting the top back, making a little more room at the top of inside of the grill for the Taurus fan motor. And it would worked, too, if it weren't for those pesky kids (needing to be fed).

So I've just dealt with it. Not driving it far on uber-hot days, carrying a lot of water, misters, etc.

However, recent trail rides are pushing me to do SOMETHING. It does _pretty_ good, considering what it's up against, and I wonder if a few little things would add up and keep it under 235, where it seems to be "ok" (nothing boiling over, but close). It's been to 250-260 more times that I can count, so write that down somewhere, a TBI454 can repeatedly be flogged up to 250ish and live through it. Once it gets to 250 it just can't seem to self-recover, I've gotta spray water on it, or totally coast down a hill. Idling with the hood up won't help. I also notice that the fans (on the front anyway) appear to be turning slower at 250 than at 220.

Thoughts (mine and others) include
  1. trying one more time to fit the Taurus fan between the radiator and the grill (see what the tape measure says),
  2. blocking up the back of the hood,
  3. small louvers in the black strips of the hood,
  4. misting system on the radiator (like a windshield washer bottle) - 48-64oz of water, slowly poured on top of the radiator and allowed to boil off, will bring it from 250 down to 220.
  5. remote radiator w/fans below the bed behind the fuel tank (there's room)
  6. other Band-Aid suggestions?
  7. Make room 1: cheat the radiator up and leaned back to create room for Taurus fan (or equiv),
  8. Make room 2: cheat the grill forward (this could work with hood hinges mounted slightly higher and forward with a bracket)
  9. Make room 3: cheat the grill forward/slanted to make room
  10. Make room 4: find a thinner Taurus-esque high volume fan.

The best non-bandaid solution, I believe, is to move the grill forward 1/2"-1", space the radiator off the grill as much as possible, and mount a small steel "shield" to protect it from the water pump pulley (though it's been 1/2" from it for 6 years in very abusive situations, with no interference. The engine mounts are quite stout and allow minimal movement in any direction, and the grill/fenders are in pretty good shape and have little movement as well; this structural integrity would have to be maintained to allow this to work.

With the 1" (?) of extra room, perhaps the Taurus fan (or thin equivalent?) would fit. The hood would have to move forward a little bit both for looks and for latching, but the gap at the back could help with venting hot air. During many of the 240+ episodes, I open the hood and have to pour water on the radiator to cool it. Just having the hood open alone doesn't cut it.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Taurus fan -- read this thread: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gene...taurus-fan-taurus-fan-better-application.html Might make things easier, since mounting would be more flexible.

Could add an engine oil cooler with its own fan somewhere else, like EZ's trans cooler?

DJ grill would make room, but I think they're pretty ugly. (I know some like them...)

Gap at the back of the hood would work against you on the highway, since there's a high pressure area there from the windshield. Do you have issues on the road currently, or is it only offroad?

Wow, great info, even if you did suggest a DJ grill... Which is as ugly as PK is annoying.

I think I'm now looking for a '92 non-turbo Volvo 740...and may have a Taurus fan for sale?

I think I'd rather have an additional coolant cooler than oil cooler, maybe from a risk standpoint? Isn't water a more effective heat transfer agent anyway? (I need to look this up) The oil cooler doesn't seem to get as hot, based on trickling water on it like we do on the radiator.

I have issues everywhere :) My cooling issues are both on and offroad, fast or slow. Long climbs on days are the worst, but so is going fast on a hot day. I'm going to move the winch controller, that should help with the fast stuff.

Last edited:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I got my Volvo fan from Pull 'n Save, they had several that looked right the day I went there. (few months back)

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Required tool suggestions? (guessing my metric bag, multitool, and some snips)

You have one? Can you give me the dimensions?

I don't remember anything weird about getting it out, so your guess is probably accurate enough. I'll get dims tonight when I get home. If I remember. :greg:

Pike2350

This would only be a minor band-aid.....and maybe not even be that effective, but have you tried adding Water Wetter in there? I know a couple of guys have used that in their coolers and heard of up to 20* drops in temps.....not sure if it truly works, only going off what I've heard. I've just heard that Red Line's Water Wetter helps with the heat transfer more efficiently. Just a thought.

This would only be a minor band-aid.....and maybe not even be that effective, but have you tried adding Water Wetter in there? I know a couple of guys have used that in their coolers and heard of up to 20* drops in temps.....not sure if it truly works, only going off what I've heard. I've just heard that Red Line's Water Wetter helps with the heat transfer more efficiently. Just a thought.

Water wetter works. Yes, I used it on one of my trips to Moab and it helped. Until it boiled over on a subsequent trip and said wetter is all but gone. In fact, there's not a whole lot of coolant in there right now, which is ok until it freezes.

I'll say. ;)

Now that I see how long you've had to deal with it, I feel like a complete moron for pointing it out to you on the trail. Sorry about that.

No worries, I don't expect everyone to memorize the history. I'd rather have someone point that out than not know at all.

Ok, now for this morning's revelation: I thought I'd put a tape on the grill just so I have a reference for later when Carl gives me a call with dimensions. So I measured (3.5") and the started looking at "what if's" for moving the grill out a bit. Turns out, the center mount/bolt is completely GONE, and has been for some time. I noticed the other day that the line for the powersteering cooler (under the winch) which runs under the end of the grill, was slightly pinched, and I thought it was odd that it would be in that spot. Now I recall that it had adequate clearance when it was installed. So the bottom of the grill is basically moved forward almost 1/2" and won't go any farther because the winch controller is sandwiched between the grill and the winch.

The frame is thoroughly boxed and reinforced through there, I don't think there is a lot of harm in going from a single mount to a couple of bolts/bushings from the bottom of the grill to the flat crossmember.