Extreme Scrambler Makeover

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Congrats Brett, very cool that it's finally there. I'm sure you will have many years to wheel the new Freakshow II. You've got some fine friends that came together to make this happen, very amazing of them to help get this done.

Congrats Brett, very cool that it's finally there. I'm sure you will have many years to wheel the new Freakshow II. You've got some fine friends that came together to make this happen, very amazing of them to help get this done.

Amen to that, amazing indeed. A LOT of fine people, including friends and those I didn't even know, have contributed to this project in ways that I could not have imagined.

I do appreciate all the efforts on my behalf...and what is really humbling is that I know there were many things done that I'm not even aware of; or if I am aware, I have no idea of the extent of the troubles my friends went to in order to make it happen.

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!

LOL, check this out. I sent my mom a pic, and just got this back from her:

WOW WEE!!!!! Doug Miller is cheering for you! What a hot jeep..........even I recognize it's macho-ness! Only thing is, now you'll be so careful and won't want to get the paint job dirty or scratched.........hmmmmmmm, maybe. I'm so excited for you; a dream you've had since you first uttered "see the foh weeoh dwive Mommy, that's a cool foh weeoh dwive, can you tell???"

She's a saint. She has acquired selective memory and obviously repressed the unpleasant memories of my teenage years.

Last edited:
Only thing is, now you'll be so careful and won't want to get the paint job dirty or scratched.....

I have this problem with my scrambler, it is allergic to bushes, salt and rock rash. Glad you got it legal. Did you still need parts or help with the guages ?

If you can diagnose my oil pressure gauge, that would rock. I do need a pass side rear view mirror if you have one. And, we could see if your boot fits better than the one I scabbed from a Sammy.

The focus tomorrow is to finish the little stuff, install the top, and install the radios, soundbar, stereo, etc...then try to get it out on the trail...any trail.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
If you can diagnose my oil pressure gauge, that would rock. I do need a pass side rear view mirror if you have one. And, we could see if your boot fits better than the one I scabbed from a Sammy.

The focus tomorrow is to finish the little stuff, install the top, and install the radios, soundbar, stereo, etc...then try to get it out on the trail...any trail.

I can help on the gauges some evening this next week. I have a spare guage and sending unit and I'm pretty sure I can make your gauge work. I looked at the mirrors and I found some mounting brackets but not the mirror. I must have given it to someone. I do have some chevy truck towing mirrors that would go great with those flare extenders.

I can help on the gauges some evening this next week. I have a spare guage and sending unit and I'm pretty sure I can make your gauge work. I looked at the mirrors and I found some mounting brackets but not the mirror. I must have given it to someone. I do have some chevy truck towing mirrors that would go great with those flare extenders.

I'll be in Moab 'til Friday, and I think I'm grounded from the jeep for a few days after that.

I'll call you and figure out a time when we can get together to figure out the gauges, I'd really like to make them work.

Thanks again!

Brett

The Green wheeled!

Some notes:

I loved climbing stuff at an idle, no foot on the gas. Steep stuff.

I loved turning. At will.

I loved having everything tight!

I loved the guy in the sweet red cherokee calling it the "perfect jeep" (obviously it's not, still needs some things, but the sentiment was nice)

I loved knowing that stuff was done right, gave me less to worry about. I still fretted over stuff, but not the usual stuff.

I loved knowing that the creaks and clanks weren't parts of the frame coming apart.

I loved winning $20 from Todd because nothing broke on his trail.

I loved the "looks" it got.

I loved how the intro to VH's "Mean Street" never sounded so good.

I loved the engine temp spending most of the time between 190* and 200*.

I loved driving it everywhere.

There were a couple hiccups:
1. The driver side exhaust gasket had a bolt come loose and burned through. The way it was installed left me scratching my head...the flange was welded to the pipe and a flat gasket was used instead of a donut. The pipe goes clear up into the manifold and was a *****. It ran like crap when that happened too, even though the O2 is on the other side. It still idled ok, but stumbled like a mutha when I gave it any throttle. Good thing it would climb stuff without the throttle.

2. Found a mystery O2 sensor wire...I wonder what I hooked the O2 sensor to? It was labeled O2 as well.

3. It wouldn't turnover last night when I got home. Plenty of juice in the battery. After several tries, it finally caught. Thinking it needs a new starter. Does anyone rebuild them anymore?

Overall, a good trip, and a rig that works!

Brett (thanks everyone!)

PS: See if you can tell which rig belongs to Hartwig.

Attachments

• Moab Day 2 404 small.jpg
    Moab Day 2 404 small.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 42
  • Moab Elephant Hill 413 small.jpg
    Moab Elephant Hill 413 small.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 53
  • Moab Elephant Hill 414 small.jpg
    Moab Elephant Hill 414 small.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 50
  • Moab Elephant Hill 476 small.jpg
    Moab Elephant Hill 476 small.jpg