Flavor of the Week

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
um no i would not get it you dont know what wires and plastic pieces were melted and i would imagine that other things were damaged too, it all dependes on how bad the fire was. Yes the metal engine parts are finne provided they didnt get too hot and warp or crack anywhere. I would be uneasy not knowing the complete history of it i would rather buy a blow head gasket one then a engine bay fire one, but others might think otherwise that is my 2 cents on it at least

Cascadia

Undecided
I picked up a 2.5 motor today. Only problem is it is a fuel injected motor and my jeep is throttle body injected. Can I switch intakes and put my throttle body injection on the new head? I don't see a problem with it but is there anything I am not seeing or thinking?

Anyone around Orem have a cherry picker I can borrow?

Cascadia

Undecided
Hopefully my intake stuff will all work. I picked up the new motor yesterday and today I took all of the fuel injection off and bolted my throttle body intake stuff on. Everything bolted right up. Except for some reason the motor mount on the block on the passenger side was about 3 inches wider. So after I had already taken the old motor away. I had to go back and take that motor mount off. It bolted on and I threw the motor in. I wish it was that easy.
Since my jeep was in pieces when I got it, it had no t-case skid holding up the tranny and t-case. So as I was trying to push the motor back on to the shaft, if it wasn't exactly lined up it would just push the trans back. It sucked. It took forever.
I had the motor mounts already bolted on the block so I decided to push the motor all the way back and dropped it on the motor mounts. Then I had to work really hard to pull the trans up to the motor. This was the first time I did any work with a motor other than basic upkeep. It wasn't hard, just time consuming and tiring. Now I've got the wires to do, drivelines, fluids, t-case skid, and then hopefully when I turn the key, I will get something.

Cascadia

Undecided
No, it wasn't that bad. Just tedious. One of my pet peeves is having to turn a bolt with a ratchet when something is in the way and you can only do 1/8th of a turn. Just bugs me. Part of the sport though I guess.

Cascadia

Undecided
Thanks steve. Being in the garage that Long is tiring. And on top of that I dreamed about motors all night. Nothing went wrong in my dreams though.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

haha, I know the feeling. Wait 'till you've done that for 3 months straight. It starts to take its toll on you :D

Glad to hear it's coming along. Let us know when you get it fired up.

Cascadia

Undecided
Today I'm going to get all of the throttle body stuff bolted on, new alternator on with new belts and radiator hoses. The part I'm not looking forward to is figuring out all the wiring because the previous owner undid all of the connections and didn't mark anything. I have a repair manual but it doesn't help much.

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
Tyson you need to go to the public library, ask for the automotive database, most libraries have all data and that might give you the connector diagrams and wiring charts you need, if it was a ford i could get it directly from the ford tech web site jeep is a different site i cant access

Bart

I think you will find that the connectors are mostly unique and should only hook up one way. Location will also be indicated by length of wire. It could be a fun puzzle. Good luck with it.

GOAT

Back from the beyond
I though I would start a flavor of the week thread. Probably mostly for me since I get a new rig every so often. If anyone else is the same as me, feel free to post up.

do flatlanders count:ugh: my contributions to the flavor of the week thread:

09' 370Z
005-14.jpg

11' STI
2011-06-01202016.jpg

Cascadia

Undecided
Thought I would bring this up to date. I've gone through a few more rigs since this was last updated.

I sold the yj I was working on shortly after I got the new motor installed.
I also sold my 06 Tundra Double Cab somewhere around the end of September, beginning of October.
I then got an 05 Subaru WRX and only had it a few weeks. Got sick of pulling the trailer with my wife's Touareg.
I then picked up a 2003 Tacoma Double Cab Supercharged at the end of October, and I sold it today.
Tacoma 014.JPG
And in between all of those I picked up a KTM 250 EXC and sold it last week.

I'm on the hunt for a new truck. I don't know exactly what I want right now but I need to get something soon. I don't think I want a full size truck again. At least not right now. I also don't want another small truck like the Tacoma due to towing capacity. There was really nothing else I didn't like about the Tacoma.

I want to be able to wheel the local trails and a lot of the trails in Moab.
I want it to be able to tow my trailer and a smaller camp trailer pretty easily.
I need to be able to fit a car seat in the back seat.
It needs to be pretty comfortable to drive every day.
My wife has to approve.

So far all I can come up with is an 01-06 Tundra Access Cab or maybe a 2nd Gen Cummins. Any other ideas?

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I don't know a lot about it, I looked at them for a bit when I was looking for a rear axle for my Explorer. FX4 trim started in '96. Kinda like the TRD offroad package, it had an available rear locker. If I was looking for something bigger than a Tacoma but smaller than a land-whale, that's what I'd look at.