Flavor of the Week

sixstringsteve

what about a 100 series or a 4runner with the 4.7? I never towed with my 100 series, but I've heard they tow great (within reason). They get the same MPG as a '96-02 4runner, they seat 8, leather, super reliable, ifs, irs, great ride, OME makes lifts for them, very safe, and they're a land cruiser. I you can remove the rear bench and create a nice little sleeping platform when the middle seats are folded down.

I wouldn't hesitate to get another one if I could afford it.

That, or copy Greg and do a sas to an old chevy truck.

Last edited:

Cascadia

Undecided
So I've decided that I'm not totally set on a truck. I think as long as it tows my trailers fine I'll be happy...for a few months. So now I've just opened a whole new chapter and there are way too many choices. Maybe there's something super cool I'm not thinking of so throw your ideas out.

sixstringsteve

I've been thinking about it all day, and I think you'd be fine with a full-size vehicle. It sounds like you do 99% daily driving/towing for work and 1% wheeling. For that 1%, you can take a full size rig on a lot of cool trails: Hell's, fins n things, rattlesnake, camping, backcountry, etc. You won't take it on the hardcore trails, but that's ok because you don't wheel hardcore trails (no offense intended). I'd look for something with 4wd that meets all your other needs (DD, towing, MPG, kid seat in back). You'd probably even be fine without a lift.

Cascadia

Undecided
I want to wheel more. I've just been so busy with work that I haven't been able to. When I had my LJ i went wheeling probably three weekends a month and sometimes during the week. I've worked the last 7 Saturdays and before that I have probably worked 2 Saturdays in the last 5 years. I guess having a lot of work is good though. I just don't want a full size truck for everyday driving. I don't like how big they are to get around and park and the Austin Powers point turns to get out of a parking lot. I think we are going to go drive a 4.7 4 runner in a little while.

sixstringsteve

shoot Moody a PM, he has a 4.7 4runner. he'll give you info about MPG and stuff like that.

I still think a 4runner is going to be a little too small to tow with. The engine will be big enough, but the size of the vehicle is a bit small for a big trailer.

What didn't you like about your past vehicles?

LJ?
Tundra?
Tacoma?

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

so basically you want a vehicle that:

- is small
- gets good MPG
- tows well
- wheels well
- seats 4+
- is under $20k

pick 2, maybe 3 :D

Cascadia

Undecided
so basically you want a vehicle that:

- is small
- gets good MPG
- tows well
- wheels well
- seats 4+
- is under $20k

pick 2, maybe 3 :D

Doesn't have to be "small".
Don't really care about the mpg as long as it gets better than the 12 my Tacoma got.
Check
Check
Check
Under $20k shouldn't be hard to do.

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
I would say a fj80 or Lexus version, but bad mpg...
You could always get a tacoma, no super charger, no lift, no big tires....

Imo nothing with 33's or bigger that can tow and wheel, will get better than about 12-15....

Cascadia

Undecided
My LJ got 14 on 37's and it towed my trailer for a year and a half. I just sold it cause it wasn't the most comfortable on road anymore.

I need 3 cars.
Fast car (Subaru)
Tow Rig, not sure what though
Wheeling/Exploring Rig, not sure what though

I can really only get one though. Someday.:rolleyes:

Cascadia

Undecided
The LJ just got uncomfortable. Something wasn't right with the doors. There was a big gap at the top between the door and the door frame. It made for a lot of wind noise. It got old. And then when the rear drive shaft blew a u joint on the freeway pulling my trailer, and bent my tail shaft that was the straw that broke the camels back. I actually fixed it and parked it until it sold after that. I drove Angelo around for about 4 weeks as my daily driver.

The main issues with the Tundra were I didn't like parking and I didn't like the gas mileage. I was only getting 11. I loved everything else about it.

The issue with the Tacoma was literally only the towing. It didn't not like going up hills or even slight hills. It was constantly down shifting even with overdrive off and going downhill the braking was all that great with a trailer. My next 8 months of work that I have lined up is downhill there and uphill back home everyday. I didn't want to wear out the transmission. Again, with the Tacoma I loved everything about it. Probably my favorite vehicle I have had so far.

I wish they had a Tacoma with the 4.7 motor and Tundra brakes.

sixstringsteve

tundra brakes on a tacoma are super easy. I plan on doing the swap someday.

I wonder if you'd like a 2nd gen taco with the 4.0. I wonder if you could rent one for a weekend. I'm sure the 33's and 4.10s on your last tacoma didn't help your towing situation.

Cascadia

Undecided
tundra brakes on a tacoma are super easy. I plan on doing the swap someday.

I wonder if you'd like a 2nd gen taco with the 4.0. I wonder if you could rent one for a weekend. I'm sure the 33's and 4.10s on your last tacoma didn't help your towing situation.
I've got a buddy with an 09 long bed taco on 33's. Maybe I'll ask if I can use it for a few days. Hard to find a long bed though, and especially under $20k.

Last edited: