Flying

4x4_Welder

I love the convenience of flying, but I hate having to actually go through security, sit in steerage, hustle to make connections, etc. If time were never an issue, I'd drive everywhere.
Pretty much. I had to fly about every six weeks to see my family in Washingtonwhile I was working in Texas, and while Southwest was pretty good, many other airlines sucked horribly.

Caleb

I hate flying much less than I hate driving. I will say though, I’m a little bigger than many (6’ and 235lbs and I have broad shoulders) so I don’t fit worth crap in most coach seats. Sometimes it’s nice with my wife and son who are both little so I can put arms up and invade their space but having long legs too (and I’m claustrophobic) the leg room often drives me insane. So we’ve started in the last couple years just biting the bullet and flying first class. Most of my complaints about flying are gone now. No longer have to worry about the people that think the bag limits and size rules don’t apply to them and take your overhead bin space, no longer have to worry about security lines (with some airlines/airports), you’re first on and first off, and you get to piss people off when they see a little kid (he’s 9 now but we’ve been sitting first class since he was probably 5) sitting in first class as they’re walking back to coach (it sounds dumb, but people get so irritated when they see my son in first class). :rofl: Since my son is brown (my wife and I are not) and first class is usually only two seats per side, that means either my wife or I are sitting across the aisle, it’s easy for people to not realize that he’s with the person across the aisle too so when they think they’re being sneaky and make snide remarks about him sitting there, we like to screw with them. :p

However, recently we had a special, secret, last minute company assignment in New York so we “had” to take the company private jet. I’ve come to realize even first class is for suckers after flying on a private jet :rofl:

In short, I don’t mind flying and much prefer flying to driving. My limit on driving is St. George. Beyond that and I’m flying and even sometimes to St. George we’ll fly.

J-mobzz

I’ve done 26 segments for 2019 so far so I fly fairly regularly. It’s definitely not awesome but a needed evil for traveling.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
You know what's a nice airline? Quantas. Healthy delicious 3 part meals on anything longer than 2.5 hrs. Snack bars in the back of the plane you can eat anytime, big seats. Blankets, pillows, toothbrushes for everyone on night flights. Internet, chargers and TV at every seat. Shoe holders.
Those A380s are cool.
We fly quite a bit and I never get over how incredible it is to move a building sized plane 600+ mph thousands of feet up. I'm essentially an adult sized child so I love it still even after a 100+ flights. Ya security checks suck, but what sucks worse is complaining about something you can't change that is a very minor inconvenience 1st world problem.
Flying is still pretty awe inspiring if you think about it.
@Caleb , Thanks for sharing about first class; it sounds pretty great #goals haha

rholbrook

@Jesser04 You grew up spoiled with your grandpa Commercial air travel sucks but getting in a big twin rocked because you actually got to your destination faster not having to deal with all the BS at the airport. In fact, I have a picture of you sitting on the steps of on of his planes I should find it and post it up

Caleb

You know what's a nice airline? Quantas. Healthy delicious 3 part meals on anything longer than 2.5 hrs. Snack bars in the back of the plane you can eat anytime, big seats. Blankets, pillows, toothbrushes for everyone on night flights. Internet, chargers and TV at every seat. Shoe holders.

I love flying the smaller airlines. They’re all similar to that. Most Alaska flights are pretty nice, Jet Blue isn’t bad, etc. I generally won’t fly Delta, United, or American. International airlines are also generally pretty decent.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I'm the guy that everyone sees as they are walking towards their seat hoping that they aren't in the same row...lol. I don't mind it. For me the determining factor is cost. I'm not going to fly my family out to Cali or to Portland for a trip then rent a car to get around.

My dad used to travel a bunch for work and had the super duper status with Delta. They picked me up from my mission in Spain and we got upgraded to first from Madrid to Atlanta. It. Was. Awesome. We also flew to NYC for our honeymoon on airline points my dad gave us and he happened to have upgrade vouchers he included. We got those dirty looks that Caleb talked about.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I'm the guy that everyone sees as they are walking towards their seat hoping that they aren't in the same row...lol. I don't mind it. For me the determining factor is cost. I'm not going to fly my family out to Cali or to Portland for a trip then rent a car to get around.

My dad used to travel a bunch for work and had the super duper status with Delta. They picked me up from my mission in Spain and we got upgraded to first from Madrid to Atlanta. It. Was. Awesome. We also flew to NYC for our honeymoon on airline points my dad gave us and he happened to have upgrade vouchers he included. We got those dirty looks that Caleb talked about.

I didn't picture you as a 500lb guy... ;)

The_Lobbster

I like flying because it's easier than driving, but I hate how freaking expensive and cramped it is. I'm 6'5", about 245lbs, wide shoulders. Economy is usually miserable for me, unless I can manage to get bumped up to an emergency exit row. Even just walking down the plane while boarding and deboarding, I have to duck the whole length of the plane or I'll hit my head on the exit signs or overhead bins.