Friend's new 4-Seater Buggy

Caleb

Herzog said:
I think it's around 107", maybe slightly shorter.

this is a sweet buggy (for some reason it reminds me a lot of my former buggy :( )...If I remeber right I was about 107-108 and if I had gotten a different fuel cell (and re-worked the overhead tubes) I could have fit a bench in the back of mine...

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Nice... Just what I need! :cool:
...Drop the Rubicon down to 33"/4.5" and use it as a "family trail" rig and use this for the 'fun' stuff. :D Even use the Rubicon as a tow rig... :cool:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
waynehartwig said:
Why not? I towed my jet boat around and had absolutely no problems doing so. A buggy can't weigh that much more? :confused: Even better if the trailer has brakes...:confused: :confused:

How much did your boat and trailer weigh? My buggy/trailer weigh just over 5K. That's a lot of weight swinging around a 3500 lb SWB rig.

Just because I wouldn't dare do it, doesn't mean you can't though.

fergusor

I Lean said:
That'll get old on long trails. I'm gonna have to break down and convert mine into a 3 or 4 seater eventually. (but not right now)

It gets old on short trails. I going to be converting over to a 4 seater this summer.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I Lean said:
How much did your boat and trailer weigh? My buggy/trailer weigh just over 5K. That's a lot of weight swinging around a 3500 lb SWB rig.

Just because I wouldn't dare do it, doesn't mean you can't though.
Hmm Didn't think a buggy weighed that much. I guess all of that tubing does add up. My Rubicon needs to go on a diet, it's right around 4750 lb..:eek: I think my boat and trailer were probably around 4,000 lbs....The hull weighed about 900 and what does a fully dressed BBC weigh? about the same, right? Then you have a 23' dual axle trailer 600 or so? So I guess probably closer to 3k lbs.... But it did not have trailer brakes. Power wasnt really an issue, 5th gear most of the time @65-70. Stopping wasn't an issue, but there was no way it would stop in an emergency, just not enough brakes. Planned stops weren't a problem, though. Yeah, I can see your point...:D

AINT SKEERED

Balls to the Walls
waynehartwig said:
Why not? I towed my jet boat around and had absolutely no problems doing so. A buggy can't weigh that much more? :confused: Even better if the trailer has brakes...:confused: :confused:

Same reasons towing with an XJ is a bad idea.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

OTOH I have towed close to 2000 pounds with my XJ with no W/D, sway control, or trailer brakes and it did fine. Not great but fine.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
holy hijack. :p

I'm hoping that we get this buggy done in time for some early spring wheelin. Tanner has been waiting way to long and working way to hard to not have a good rig to take the family out in. I'm excited for him.

He used to drive a dark red pathfinder on full widths & 35's, maybe some of you have ran into him in Moab. :cool:

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
fergusor said:
I didnt think you could plan all stops.
When you see a stop sign up the road is pretty easy to plan the stop. While pulling the boat, I never had a reason for an unplanned stop - ie emergency.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
AINT SKEERED said:
Same reasons towing with an XJ is a bad idea.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

OTOH I have towed close to 2000 pounds with my XJ with no W/D, sway control, or trailer brakes and it did fine. Not great but fine.
My XJ pulled my boat just fine. Top speed sucked real bad, but stopping was not a problem. And I even had a few times that I *HAD* to stop fast! My boat was easy to pull though...I've pulled some trailers that just beat the heck out of you and others that you don't even know it's back there. My boat was the latter of the two....Fairly light boat on a double axle trailer :cool:

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Herzog said:
holy hijack. :p

I'm hoping that we get this buggy done in time for some early spring wheelin. Tanner has been waiting way to long and working way to hard to not have a good rig to take the family out in. I'm excited for him.

He used to drive a dark red pathfinder on full widths & 35's, maybe some of you have ran into him in Moab. :cool:
No, I haven't...
But seriously, how difficult is it to pull a trailer? :p :D

James K

NO, I'm always like this
waynehartwig said:
I never had a reason for an unplanned stop - ie emergency.

thats why its called an EMERGENCY:rolleyes:

ON TOPIC...........I remember that pathfinder done in moab one time, think we ran into you guys on RN.:D

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
thats exactly what my vision is for my next rig. Hopefully arond 105 ish WB...

fwiw, I used to tow with a v8 zj. 1000 lbs heavier, 15" longer, bigger motor, not lifted. It sucked major balls. Never again unless for real short distances or emergencies. I took a $1500 dollar bath in that rig getting from underneath it so I could get a real tow rig.......the first time you tow down price canyon in a snow storm in a crappy tow rig (especially with loved ones with you) you'll instantly realize that pseudo tow rigs are bad news.

bit I digress

Cody

Crinco

Ummmm...

www.towingboatswithjeepsisfun.com

But

www.letsgetbackontopic.com

is better.

Very cool looking buggy, and 107" is pretty short for a 4 seater. I set mine at 110" and I have just two little seats in mine. Get some paint on that thing and lets go wheel. BTW, I highly recommend that he take that on a LOCAL maiden voyage first, even the two hour drive to Moab from Price isn't fun when you break it coming off your trailer! A good shake down locally is a really good idea. I took mine to a field and drove over a bunch of dirt piles to flex it out and look for clearance issues that you just can't see sitting in the garage. You guys should be proud of your work.

Crinco

PS It doesn't fit in that little shed now with the shocks aired up, does it! I had a half inch to spare geting mine out of my garage.