Friend's new 4-Seater Buggy

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Crinco said:
PS It doesn't fit in that little shed now with the shocks aired up, does it! I had a half inch to spare geting mine out of my garage.

Barely fits! But it should settle about 3-4 inches, to where we want it. Freshly aired up shocks are decieving.

We are planning a local shakedown, if he gets it done in time! I may end up down there helping out some more tomarrow. :D

DIMICK

I HATE MYSPACE
Hey what happened to i'll probably be down there helping him out tomarrow?? oh and the local shake down is going to be at little moab probably 2 weeks before easter(fingers crossed) i live in springville so its just a hop skip and a jump away

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
DIMICK said:
Hey what happened to i'll probably be down there helping him out tomarrow?? oh and the local shake down is going to be at little moab probably 2 weeks before easter(fingers crossed) i live in springville so its just a hop skip and a jump away

I got busy here! You need to call and remind me more often. -_-

Crinco

Hickey said:
Gentle ribbing.;) :hickey:

I guess I am too easily offended. Some people like that "look" you know. I personally think it could be a little shorter too, but that's the way they make it. I am thinking of naming my buggy the Rhino, its grey and always dirty!
What do you think Hickey?

Crinco

Cool, I guess for some reason I thought you were in Price, Little Moab should be a great place to test it out. Nice work.

ps If you could teach that buggy to swim you would get there even quicker, straight across.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Update:

Lot's of down time. Need to order in some special electronics for the engine to get it running (still waiting on parts).

Today, we finally took the time to finish placing all the tube... so the chassis is done. Just needs to be tore apart and fully welded. We also made the winch plate and placed it in.

Other things pending: Flooring / firewall, roof, and many odds & ends.

A lot of rust... small working space... hot days... good times. :D

attachment.php

attachment.php

Upper cage, above the bench seat.
attachment.php

Attachments

• 100_1367.jpg
    100_1367.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 244
  • 100_1368.JPG
    100_1368.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 242
  • 100_1373.JPG
    100_1373.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 243

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Well, it's been about 8 months since the last progress post and guess what... no progress! :rofl:

Mostly because he's been super busy with his business and they moved into a new home, which mean bigger garage and more space to work.

The motor has had some problems. He has it setup with an Accel EFI that needs to be tuned with a laptop. We have figured most of that out (neither of us are engine config nerds) and have been able to start it. Problem is that it was running sporadic and just didn't seem right. While I was down there last weekend he was saying that there might be water in the oil. (Crap...)

I pull the dipstick... it looked somewhat normal, but once you smelled it the problem was obvious. Gas in the oil.

He and some other guys pulled it part the other night. Apparently something must have fell into or got caught in cylinder #4, blew a piston apart and bent the rod among other damage. Too much damage to machine (the 5.0 cylinder walls would get to thin.) He's currently looking for a new block....

I'll be down there this weekend to finish up some more stuff. I will take pics. :)

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"

Hey, Just noticed your name....adding that to know where Zog grew up, I was wondering if you are related to Mike Dimick?

Bart

Well, it's been about 8 months since the last progress post and guess what... no progress! :rofl:

Mostly because he's been super busy with his business and they moved into a new home, which mean bigger garage and more space to work.

The motor has had some problems. He has it setup with an Accel EFI that needs to be tuned with a laptop. We have figured most of that out (neither of us are engine config nerds) and have been able to start it. Problem is that it was running sporadic and just didn't seem right. While I was down there last weekend he was saying that there might be water in the oil. (Crap...)

I pull the dipstick... it looked somewhat normal, but once you smelled it the problem was obvious. Gas in the oil.

He and some other guys pulled it part the other night. Apparently something must have fell into or got caught in cylinder #4, blew a piston apart and bent the rod among other damage. Too much damage to machine (the 5.0 cylinder walls would get to thin.) He's currently looking for a new block....

I'll be down there this weekend to finish up some more stuff. I will take pics. :)

Bummer, there was a 5.0 block on KSL the other day, all machined and everything.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Update:

We had a 3 man welding / fab party over the weekend. We were able to finish up all the welds on the chassis and spend some extra time making nice brackets & braces for the axles and misc areas on the chassis.

His brother (also a very good friend of mine) is a welder by trade, and so he showed up with his truck equipped with more welding power than I would ever know what to do with. :rofl: Also a handy 5 ton crane (yeah...) as well as all sorts of extra things that made life good over the weekend.

The "toy" truck:
attachment.php

Getting started:
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 100_3499.jpg
    100_3499.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 126
  • 100_3501.jpg
    100_3501.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 126
  • 100_3503.jpg
    100_3503.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 123

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Welding up the overly beef winch plate:
attachment.php

The winch plate fully welded:
attachment.php

Some funny looking brackets:
attachment.php

Attachments

• 100_3504.jpg
    100_3504.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 126
  • 100_3507.jpg
    100_3507.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 129
  • 100_3509.jpg
    100_3509.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 127

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Flip and toast:
attachment.php

Belly pan time (pain in the ass bends...
attachment.php

and back over:
attachment.php

Attachments

• 100_3517.jpg
    100_3517.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 122
  • 100_3518.jpg
    100_3518.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 123
  • 100_3520.jpg
    100_3520.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 123

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Rear housing that I worked up:
attachment.php

and at midnight Sunday, we were too tired to carry the chassis... so why not use the crane?
attachment.php

Complete chassis welded:
attachment.php

Attachments

• 100_3522.jpg
    100_3522.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 121
  • 100_3525.jpg
    100_3525.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 121
  • 100_3528.jpg
    100_3528.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 121

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Question on the rear housing? What strength advantage does the tube/ truss add to the upper link brackets the way of have it mounted? Other then just aiding in preventing side load. Also on 9's aren't the tubes and center of the housing the same material? If so wouldn't it be better to just make a solid truss down the pumpkin? Just thinking, don't worry I don't know what I'm talkin about:D

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Question on the rear housing? What strength advantage does the tube/ truss add to the upper link brackets the way of have it mounted? Other then just aiding in preventing side load. Also on 9's aren't the tubes and center of the housing the same material? If so wouldn't it be better to just make a solid truss down the pumpkin? Just thinking, don't worry I don't know what I'm talkin about:D

The 9's are several pieces with the tubes welded in... Like this...

M4330B.jpg