Halloween

STAG

On my grind
I know a few of you dads participate more than others in Halloween.

How many of you get in some sort of costume or do something more than just handing out candy?

I know that Utah has gone more towards the ways of trunk-or-treat at church parking lots and stuff lately. I miss the days of actually going door to door!

Anyone decorate their vehicles at all?

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I know a few of you dads participate more than others in Halloween.

How many of you get in some sort of costume or do something more than just handing out candy?

I know that Utah has gone more towards the ways of trunk-or-treat at church parking lots and stuff lately. I miss the days of actually going door to door!

Anyone decorate their vehicles at all?

Neighborhoods are still full of kids all night. Best night I had was a Jason mask and chainless chain saw.. Scared so many dads. Kids cried. Good fun.

This year will be fire pit on the porch, air powered candy launcher. Hoping to build it good enough and dial it in to hit a consistent mark, so I can shoot into their buckets.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Fire pit in the driveway became a tradition during Covid. I had a PVC pipe I’d use to slide candy into their buckets. Last year I just set a bucket of candy on a table and had to constantly remind kids to take 1 and then some still took 8 (even while their parents were watching) so the pipe might come back- on principle alone.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Fire pit in the driveway became a tradition during Covid. I had a PVC pipe I’d use to slide candy into their buckets. Last year I just set a bucket of candy on a table and had to constantly remind kids to take 1 and then some still took 8 (even while their parents were watching) so the pipe might come back- on principle alone.

We had one dad walking with a group of boys (his included, obviously) that emptied every bowl left out. Dad did nothing. I watched it happen twice.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I usually hide a Bluetooth speaker by the front door outside and play screams or chainsaw sounds really loud as soon as kids step on my porch. Scares the hell out of kids and parents alike. I will be at SEMA this year on Halloween so they'll get a year off.

Have answered the door dry firing my paintball gun before too. That was fun too!

Pile of parts

My wife really likes Halloween. Last year was the only year I really did anything, and that was completely due to timing. I had just brought home a donor vehicle a few days before and I got the idea on the way towing it home. The neighbor across the street really got into it and started giving ideas of how we could make it better for the next year. I almost felt obligated to keep the wrecked suburban after pulling the drivetrain, just to make her happy.😁

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
My wife really likes Halloween. Last year was the only year I really did anything, and that was completely due to timing. I had just brought home a donor vehicle a few days before and I got the idea on the way towing it home. The neighbor across the street really got into it and started giving ideas of how we could make it better for the next year. I almost felt obligated to keep the wrecked suburban after pulling the drivetrain, just to make her happy.😁

If you do, PM me an address.. I'll take the kids to see it.

Tebbsjeep

We walked around with my daughter last year in our own neighborhood for the first time. I was surprised how few kids were out and how much candy my daughter raked in. We just left a bowl out, and I have no idea how long it lasted, but it was empty when we got home.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
We walked around with my daughter last year in our own neighborhood for the first time. I was surprised how few kids were out and how much candy my daughter raked in. We just left a bowl out, and I have no idea how long it lasted, but it was empty when we got home.
When I have left a bowl out in the past I put a sign that says “Take one- and remember, Jesus is watching” and that actually made a lot of parents laugh and take pictures of the sign.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Going out with my kids is one of my favorite things every year.

I was a potato a couple years ago. I was a burned out semi depressed small business owner last year. I think I'll be a sunflower this year since my 5 y/o is obsessed with plants vs zombies.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Halloween is the only time I'll decorate my house... 👻

In the past I've set up my CO2 tank to blow thru a Werewolf mask sitting by the front window. It's back from the door and usually where the parents will stand. It's harmless, but the sound and feeling of pressurized air hitting someone will usually scare the s**t out of people. I filmed it one year, with a GoPro above the porch. The reactions are hilarious! I feel bad for the little kids though, I can't always see who the 'victims' are thru the blinds and I've made a few kids cry, some have ran away and wouldn't come back, etc. :rofl:

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
My neighborhood is packed and attracts too many people from outside the area. My kids are snowflakes so it doesn't take them too long before they get tired and want to call it a night.

I don't decorate the yard. I've done flaming pumpkins the last few years though with a kerosene soaked toilet paper roll in a pumpkin. It lasts longer than I had expected (25-30 minutes full flame before tapering off.) Its pretty cool so I'll likely keep doing it.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Halloween is my least favorite "holiday" of the year. When I was young it was fun to run around with other kids in the neighborhood, but as an adult the most effort I've ever put in is opening the door with a bowl of candy and scowling at the miscreants who take more than one.
But now I have children of my own, so I'm going to be forced into participating in this whole thing again. Maybe I can restart the tradition of burning refuse in the street and throwing flour in peoples faces instead of getting candy ala Meet Me in St. Louis.

STAG

On my grind
Halloween is the only time I'll decorate my house... 👻

In the past I've set up my CO2 tank to blow thru a Werewolf mask sitting by the front window. It's back from the door and usually where the parents will stand. It's harmless, but the sound and feeling of pressurized air hitting someone will usually scare the s**t out of people. I filmed it one year, with a GoPro above the porch. The reactions are hilarious! I feel bad for the little kids though, I can't always see who the 'victims' are thru the blinds and I've made a few kids cry, some have ran away and wouldn't come back, etc. :rofl:

Was that Daisy barking?

Houndoc

I am saddened by the whole 'trunk or treat thing', always had fun taking my kids around and handing out candy at the house as well.
Sadly with our current house the grand total of trick or treaters who have come to our door in 10 years is zero. But does make me not feel bad that I will be on a plane this year.

STAG

On my grind
I am saddened by the whole 'trunk or treat thing', always had fun taking my kids around and handing out candy at the house as well.
Sadly with our current house the grand total of trick or treaters who have come to our door in 10 years is zero. But does make me not feel bad that I will be on a plane this year.
My parents neighborhood does not get trick or treaters either.

I wasn’t ever home for Halloween when I had my Eagle Mountain house so I don’t know. But I kept the porch and other lights off to hopefully help prevent kids wasting time knocking to an empty home.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Loved Halloween as a kid, hate it as an adult. Used to be happy to sit and hand out candy, not sure what/when happened but now I despise it. I turn off my lights and turn on a horror movie in the back of my house.

But I want to add this to the “today I want this” older crowd will know the movie

IMG_4674.jpeg