Haul non-runner from SLC to Grand Jct, CO

Box Rocket

bored
I've been texting with Brett and I think we're all lined up but Marc I know you have a short window so I'll have it all ready to go at 5:00 sharp so we can load it as quickly as possible. Thanks all.

rholbrook

Very interested to hear how the EcoBoost does with that much weight, over the mountains! :eek: See you Tuesday Brett!
Won't know it's there. My boat weighs more that that thing and I can set the cruise at 75 mph and go up SF Canyon without it dropping more than 2 mph before it shifts down and gets back up to 75.

Your boat is 9,000lbs? Nice boat!

The interWeb says FJ80 curb is about 4700 lbs, my jeep is 5000. Trailer + load will be just shy of 9,000lbs. Truck will have 2 people and overnight luggage.

I'll have a pretty good back to back comparison towing this with the eb and then in 3 weeks towing my jeep with the X to Moab.

I've been impressed with the eb on hills (no drama, mid-rpm), but haven't towed yet. I'm sure it has plenty of poop, but will it be screaming high rpm or just pull hard at mid-rpm?

Your boat weighs more than 10k? Geeeeezzz.... maybe I should be buying a F150 w/ EcoBoost!

I know, I wonder how it would like 12,000lbs of bumper pull with 2 jeeps? The interweb tells me no, but I have to say, I've loved driving a work Supercrew the last few years and mainly keep the X for towing, scouts, cabin and family adventures, and the Supercrew worked great for the last two.

Last edited:

rholbrook

Your boat is 9,000lbs? Nice boat!

The interWeb says FJ80 curb is about 4700 lbs, my jeep is 5000. Trailer + load will be just shy of 9,000lbs. Truck will have 2 people and overnight luggage.

I'll have a pretty good back to back comparison towing this with the eb and then in 3 weeks towing my jeep with the X to Moab.

I've been impressed with the eb on hills (no drama, mid-rpm), but haven't towed yet. I'm sure it has plenty of poop, but will it be screaming high rpm or just pull hard at mid-rpm?

Nope, never registered in my head that you were hauling two jeeps. My boat is nearly 5K empty with the trailer but when I go to Powell, I have gear and food for a week for lots of people so I am loaded down. My truck is rated at over 10K but I would never even think about sticking that behind it. Thats what diesels are for

That's not an Ecoboost.

WHAT???? :eek::eek: REFUND!

Nope, never registered in my head that you were hauling two jeeps. My boat is nearly 5K empty with the trailer but when I go to Powell, I have gear and food for a week for lots of people so I am loaded down. My truck is rated at over 10K but I would never even think about sticking that behind it. Thats what diesels are for

I'm just hauling one rig on this trip, but the rig plus the trailer is approx 9000 lbs.

I'd guess with stuff in your boat plus people and gear that you are getting close to 7000 or 8000 lbs equivalent. The neat thing about the Ecoboost is that since it weighs less than a SD or Excursion, it's not moving as much weight overall. My X is 9000lbs by itself, so I can see an Ecoboost pulling a 10,000lb trailer as well as the X, just because it's moving less weight overall, with more HP (but less torque).

This will be a pretty close comparison. This year for Moab it will be just me and my son, and only one jeep.

You mention that you wouldn't push the Ecoboost F150 to the 10,000lb rating; any particular reason (other than safety factor)?

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Still won't let me upload files. I click "add files" then I select the file. Then when I hit "upload files" it does nothing. Any advice?

Yeah, some folks have been having problems with photos uploading from phones.... it seems to be an issue with the forum software. We've tried a few changes/fixes/upgrades, but it still happens. :( Some guys have started hosting pics elsewhere like Photobucket... makes it a PITA, I know.

rholbrook

WHAT???? :eek::eek: REFUND!

I'm just hauling one rig on this trip, but the rig plus the trailer is approx 9000 lbs.

I'd guess with stuff in your boat plus people and gear that you are getting close to 7000 or 8000 lbs equivalent. The neat thing about the Ecoboost is that since it weighs less than a SD or Excursion, it's not moving as much weight overall. My X is 9000lbs by itself, so I can see an Ecoboost pulling a 10,000lb trailer as well as the X, just because it's moving less weight overall, with more HP (but less torque).

This will be a pretty close comparison. This year for Moab it will be just me and my son, and only one jeep.

You mention that you wouldn't push the Ecoboost F150 to the 10,000lb rating; any particular reason (other than safety factor)?
just wouldn't hang 10K lbs off the back of a bumper. The trucks not heavy enough to pull it safely IMO.