Helicopters/drones for filming

corbin.black

I agree 100% with you on the gps, but 4 blades are super stable.
In my opinion I don't think you can go wrong with this as a starter

http://www.bladehelis.com/350QX/Default.aspx

Would you recommend the BNF version or the ready to fly version for starters? The ready to fly version comes with the DX5e controller and the BNF requires the purchase of your own controller.

man I should stop reading this thread, now I am going to have to start another hobby because of it.

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
Would you recommend the BNF version or the ready to fly version for starters? The ready to fly version comes with the DX5e controller and the BNF requires the purchase of your own controller.

man I should stop reading this thread, now I am going to have to start another hobby because of it.

I would do the ready to fly version for a starters. A dx5 is a spectrum 5 channel radio and can fly all the basic stuff and is a great radio.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
I just picked up the Phantom 2 with the Zenmuse gimbal and a couple extra batteries. This thing is a RIOT to fly. All I need is a gopro hero 3 and something fun to shoot!

Edit:
Get a cheap one...little 50-100$ job and learn the basics on that. These things can be super expensive to fix so LEARN before going big!

Last edited:

SpeedyVic

I really like Blade products I own a couple of their helicopters and always have been satisfied. Replacement parts can be had locally and are relativity cheap.

Just an FYI. Blade helis are owned by Horizon Hobby which is (was?) a great company. HH owns 10+ different brands related RC. But they were recently sold to a private equity firm. There is a lot of chatter in the heli world that some (or all) of Blade could be phased out for lack of profitablity. I'm not sure how true this is, but if you frequent the various RC forums (Helifreak, RC Groups, RCU, etc) you will notice that there are a lot of Blade helis for sale in the classified sections. Looking like people are starting to dump them for fear of not having available support in the future. The flipside of this is that there are a lot of good deals to be had on a used Blade heli.

I personally have a Trex 500 and a clone 450. I almost got into the Blades, but decided to stick with Align for the ease of getting parts. I also have a couple of Heli-Max micro helis and quads that can be flown indoors.

user

The problem with them is they only fly for around 5-7 mins per battery and it's best to let motors and stuff cool down in between flights. It helps to not burn them out as fast. I actually fly helicopters as a little side hobby. Have been for a couple years now I fly the collective pitch I can do basic 3d flight they are a blast and the nano/micro ones can be so cheap for parts

user

And I would stay away from any heli that Flys from phone/ipad they are often slow to respond. ..I would get one with an actual transmitter/radio controller

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Edit: I feel dumb, literally posted right above lol.... still cool though

I just came across this on my ladies company website.... freakin drone that can follow you when your wearing a control watch..... talk about baaad ass, I foresee one of these in my future

[video=youtube;_yOCTgVqmeQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yOCTgVqmeQ[/video]

Last edited:

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
So I picked one of these up. So fun! I've only started playing around with it, but it's a freakin' riot to fly. I picked up the Iris+ since it recently came down in price by $150. I also grabbed the Tarot gimbal and an extra couple batteries and props. I haven't put on the gimbal yet because I want to practice before throwing it on with the GoPro.

Here's the first lift off.
WP_20150903_001.jpg

Last edited:

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I've been doing a ton of "internet research" the last few days as I've pieced together a quadcopter and I see the recommendation for the Hubsan X4 all over the place. Here it is on amazon for $35. I'd also get the crash pack which has spare parts for when it breaks which will happen and another battery. He'll probably break props the most so if you could source some more of those independent of the whole crash pack that would be ideal. I bought this little guy last week and am still waiting for the spare parts to arrive. I just broke 3 of the 4 props and have just one spare left.

I'm building a 250mm size quad but haven't flown before and am considering buying the Hubsan to play around with and hopefully learn until all my parts get in. There are a few different models to be aware of, the H107L is the basic one, H107C has an onboard camera that will record video, and the H107G has an onboard camera that you can use for first person viewing (FPV) to fly. If I bought one it would be just the most basic one since price is lower, then I'd buy more spare parts and batteries.

Here is a bit more info on the Hubsan, a bit of a starters guide.

I'd be sure to try and source it from a US based retailer since it may or may not arrive in time if you get it from China.