Help out in Ward Canyon??

TEAM FRED

DeadEye J said:
Maybe we could drag it to the edge overlooking the parking lot and give it the ol' heave ho. Gravity is your friend. Load onto the trailer and head out.

Jared

Not a bad idea!
Looks like this will have to wait again due to disposing of the vehicle.

Lets get some other ideas together and a date to make this happen.

DrMoab

DeadEye J said:
Maybe we could drag it to the edge overlooking the parking lot and give it the ol' heave ho. Gravity is your friend. Load onto the trailer and head out.

Jared
I don't know if this would work where the truck is at. There really isn't a road below except right below the B. To get it that far you would have to drag it 3/4 of a mile anyway.

I think it might be possible to just drag it out.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Can the NAXJA guys make this happend for NPLD? I know that a couple months out, but that would allow time to find a company to haul off the carcass's, etc. As well as plan a canyon wide trash cleanup?

JeeperG

cruiseroutfit said:
Can the NAXJA guys make this happend for NPLD? I know that a couple months out, but that would allow time to find a company to haul off the carcass's, etc. As well as plan a canyon wide trash cleanup?
Yes, that could be arranged, but what if we haul it out before september? Guess we could still do a clean up on the canyon.

Taco4life

I am sorry for not replying to this thread earlier. I live a few blocks away from the "B" and consider it my backyard as I go up their close to 3 times a week. There are two vehicles if I am not mistaken along the Old Ward Canyon trail the one in the picture above and I believe there is one more. I will have to go up there in the next 2 days and make sure. In my opinion it would be best to helicopter it out. You would need quite a driver to pull any kind of trailer through there. However the easiest way would be like gijohn40 did and drive to the top of the trail and take it out from there. I only know of one large rock you would have to pull it over however I navigated around it back when my Tacoma was stock. Cutting it up is another option. Their are options, you could do it, but the trails are tight.

My next thought is that this is the least cluttered part of the canyon. The ward canyon trail is only used by 4-wheelers. All along the main roadway, it is cluttered with trash and a quick glance down dead mans curve you will see a plethora of abandoned vehicles.

Enough rambling from me, I will head up there tonight or early next week with this project in mind and get a more firm grasp on what we are talking about. If there are any pictures or what not that people would like to see let me know I am always up there, and can take off up the road in a heartbeat... literally.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
that one big rock that is in the middle of the trail from the top portion could be used to lift the car up onto a trailer... the thing is we would have to back the trailer down to that rock which is about 1/4 mile or so... or we could just pile some other rocks around that one or even take some wood and place it on the rock so that the trailer could drive over the rock... once over that rock its clear all the way to the car... and its in a open spot where we could put it on the trailer....

I had a 4wheeler tell me there are a few cars up one of the other canyons there... but when I went up to them the canyon is only for 4wheelers so we would not be able to get into them unless we built the trail bigger which I think the forest service would frown on...

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
JeeperG said:
Yes, that could be arranged, but what if we haul it out before september? Guess we could still do a clean up on the canyon.

Yup, if they come out sooner, great... then a cleanup on NPLD would be a breeze. Totally up to you guys, were just glad to have your support and help on this project :cool:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
gijohn40 said:
that one big rock that is in the middle of the trail from the top portion could be used to lift the car up onto a trailer... the thing is we would have to back the trailer down to that rock which is about 1/4 mile or so... or we could just pile some other rocks around that one or even take some wood and place it on the rock so that the trailer could drive over the rock... once over that rock its clear all the way to the car... and its in a open spot where we could put it on the trailer....

I had a 4wheeler tell me there are a few cars up one of the other canyons there... but when I went up to them the canyon is only for 4wheelers so we would not be able to get into them unless we built the trail bigger which I think the forest service would frown on...

I hate to modify trails, but how hard would it be to move the rock out of the trail (winch?)? I can back a trailer 1/4 mile pretty easily (not my favorite, but I could do it). My back's not in the greatest of shape, but I'd sure do what I can.

Anybody wanna head up there this afternoon or tomorrow and check this out with me?

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
The rock is about 4-5 feet long and sticks out about 2 feet or so not sure how deep it is in the ground but I know I high centered on it and it didn't move at all... so winching isn't an option. the trail down to that point is pretty narrow and has a few other rocky points that aren't that bad but might cause some concern for a low riding trailer....

So like I said if we took some 2x6 with us we could use them to get the trailer up and over the rock and down to the car... at which point I could winch it on to the trailer and haul it back up....

DrMoab

This is officially on NAXJA's "to do" list.

It is going to be our run for September. We have a couple ideas on how to get it out.

I will be calling the Sherrifs Dept this week to get final aproval and the Forest Service to find out about maybe doing a walk along clean up of Skyline drive for a ways if we get enough people to show up.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
i just started reading this thread to try and catch up on the progress of all that's going on up in this area... but, i am not finding the time to read the entire thread.. if someone could just let me know briefly, are there plans in place for the NPLD? and if so, can we get some of the TTORA guys involved to help out? please let me know...

-Jason

JeeperG

SAMI said:
if someone could just let me know briefly, are there plans in place for the NPLD? and if so, can we get some of the TTORA guys involved to help out? please let me know...

-Jason

Yes, maybe PM Dr.Moab on this.

JeeperG

Ok guys. Plans have changed just a little. I got a call from the local Rep with the Forest Service asking me if we could help him that day in that same general area. The forest service is going to be cleaning up the bottom of Deadmans Curve on Skyline drive. I told him we would be happy to help.

What he needs from us right now is a good head count. So....who is going to be there?

Basicly they need bodies to hike up the bottom of that canyon (about a 1/4 mile hike) and help clean up trash. If we still have time we will go remove the car up Old Ward Canyon also.

I will not be able to get out of work that day so Jeff Turner is going to step up and run this show on Saturday.
Just thought I would pass this along.

Bullet

I would like to help in any way possible. It sounds like there will be a good turn out. Has any one arranged for a dumpster or trash bags? I sent an e-mail to the janitorial supply that sell to my work about donating trash bags if they are needed and a friend of mine may be able to get a dumpster donated. Would any one be interested in a bbq around lunch time? Is any one going up this Saturday (9-16-06)? How can I get ahold of Jeff Turner?

XJEEPER

DrMoab has asked me (Jeff Turner) to coordinate this event for NAXJA, working with the FS, U4 and other local clubs. We had planned on torching the smashed cars into parts to get them out, but the FS has already arranged to have the Utah Natl Guard lift them out with a chopper in the spring of 07.

The bigger issue is all the small sized trash that has been dumped in this area over the years, which will be our main focus on Sept 30th. I'm still game to chop the rigs up and drag them out, but we're letting the FS make the call here.

Many hands make light work so bring your friends, family, folks at the stoplight holding "Will work for a great cause, warm fuzzy's and good PR" signs, etc. and plan on meeting at the parking lot below the Bountiful B on Sept 30th....8am-ish.

DrMoab

I'm still game to chop the rigs up and drag them out, but we're letting the FS make the call here.

One thing about that Pathfinder. It isn't on FS property. Its on County. IF you decide you want to try to get that we need to give Cheif Dept Kevin McCloud a call at the Davic Co sherrifs office.

Many hands make light work so bring your friends, family, folks at the stoplight holding "Will work for a great cause, warm fuzzy's and good PR" signs, etc. and plan on meeting at the parking lot below the Bountiful B on Sept 30th....8am-ish.

Great project! In addition to the intangible benefits, everyone participating in a U4 related NPLD project gets a free t-shirt!

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I'm going to have a head count from TTORA in afew days here... i've been on the phone with Ryan Ward afew times the last couple of days getting brought up to speed.

MAKE SURE TO REMEMBER YOUR *LONG PANTS AND *FULL SHOES!!! or you will be turned away...

I'm wondering if we just tackle both... i think it'd be fun to chop up the pathfinder too...

also, 'Bullet', BBQ? ;)

-Jason

4x4less

ELLIS
sweet

Glad to see so many people responding. I'm in. I have also talked to Ryan and have been working with Sami. I think we should tackle both projects if we have enough people. I mean, who doesn't like torching stuff and BBQ's. Not to mention free t-shirts.

DrMoab

If you go for the pathfinder it might not be a bad idea to get ahold of Bountiful FD to see if they can have a Brush truck standing by. Its not very brushy where it is however you can never be too safe.

Of course of this weather keeps up...shouldn't be a problem.:eek: