Help out in Ward Canyon??

XJEEPER

THIS JUST IN!!

I spoke with Kevin Walton of the Wasatch FS District, who is our point of contact for the Ward Canyon NPLD project, and he's been pulled off this project by his manager. Apparently the FS is losing their summer workers early this year so they have cancelled all projects that aren't critical in nature. Where does this leave us?

We won't have access to the closed road in the canyon bottom or the ATV that the FS was going to provide to remove the trash collected. We can still work the canyon and haul out the trash on our own, and we could also chop and haul out the junk cars too. Are there still folks with trailers available to haul the junk car parts to the scrapyard?

The canyon still needs help so let's press forward with this, plan on meeting at the parking lot below the B in Bountiful at 8:30am on Sept 30th.

Call me with questions and I'll keep this thread updated.
Jeff Turner-390-9018

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Are there still folks with trailers available to haul the junk car parts to the scrapyard?

The canyon still needs help so let's press forward with this, plan on meeting at the parking lot below the B in Bountiful at 8:30am on Sept 30th.

Ellis "4x4less"(UT-TTORA VP) has managed to get the Deseret News all over the Ward Canyon project... he will be heading up to the B with them tomorrow to take some pictures and provide a prestory for them.. then they will have a follow up story shortly after the project.

he is focused on the Pathfinder removal. i know he's trying to make it up there tonight to scope it out a day before they write thier little article and stuff... so, i'm quite posative that he's working to get that car out of there...

he's got a trailer he thinks he might be able to get back in there with.. an chopped up Jeepster sprung over.. or something like that.

-Jason

Last edited:

XJEEPER

Just got off the phone with the FS.....they are really concerned with folks getting hurt on the project, so FWIW......wear your boots, long pants, leather gloves, sunscreen, adequate water and food and don't do dumb stuff because you're liable for yourself. OK?

They really weren't prepared for this project at all BTW....... but that's water under the bridge. We'll need to plan on providing our own trash bags and hauling all trash off when were done, unless someone has a contact with Bounitful City and can pull strings getting a donated dumpster up there on Friday night?

See you there!

4x4less

ELLIS
Pulling Pathfinder

I am going to have a reporter from Deseret News there with Photographer. I went up there today and saw the pathfind. We can get it out through the top of Ward's if we cut it into two or three pieces. I have a trailer that I can pull in through the top. Does anyone else have a crappy tall trailer they don't mind beating up on Saturday? Let's get it out of there! I want good photos for the reporter lady, not just trash clean up.
ELLIS- U4WDA Land Use Officer
UT TORA acting VP

Taco4life

I should be able to bring my Tacoma and haul something out if I drive it down from the top. There is NO way I am driving back up that for a little while. Ellis can attest it gets a little tipsy going up the trail. I also have a little 6x10 trailer we can load up to haul trash out with. Let me know what it is we need and i'll see if I can pull some strings.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
They really weren't prepared for this project at all BTW....... but that's water under the bridge.
:mad:

We'll need to plan on providing our own trash bags and hauling all trash off when were done, unless someone has a contact with Bounitful City and can pull strings getting a donated dumpster up there on Friday night?

PAGING 'BULLET'.... dumpster to Ward Canyon... BULLET..

-Jason

Bullet

Good chance on having the dumpster donated. it is due back on Friday and will be droped off saturday morning if the paying customer dosent extend. If it is not evadable a friend of mine will bring a cargo van to haul stuff away. Where do we need the dumpster droped off? My work donated a case of trash bags. I would like to do a BBQ but need a head count and somthing to cook. Any suggestions? Thanks!!

Bullet

One more question. If I cant get the fuel leak fixed on my beeter truck I may be driving my stock t-100 with wimpy tires, will I be able to get it up the canyon?

XJEEPER

Map To The Ward Canyon Cleanup Meeting Point

Sound great. How do I get to the parking lot by the "B"?

Print this map and take it with you.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&om=1&z=14&ll=40.898138,-111.871204&spn=0.046776,0.070381

Your destination is the Skyline Drive Trailhead which is at the top of 400 N in Bountiful, just keep heading East from I-15 up 400 North and you'll wind up on Skyline Dr, take a left and you'll have a visual of the B at that point, if you can't read maps....... :)

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
i've got a very limited number of sweet t-shirts from the U4 that are specific to this clean up... so, get there early enough to get one! 8:30ish saturday morning... we'll divide and conquer the "B" area...

BADGER... hotdogs?

JeeperG

Good Job and thank you to everybody that attended! One nissan pathfinder GONE! :greg: well and beer cans, shotgun shells, one microwave, etc. ;)

JeeperG

I only had my cellphone camera with me so only took a few shots. Sami and a few others should have lots of pics coming. :D

1309613589_ORIG.jpg

1309613556_ORIG.jpg

1309613544_ORIG.jpg

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Nice pics JeeperG...

We had a good turn out for the project. Some passer-by's even helped out and really saved the day(F-350 to haul out loads of Nissan).

We posed for a quick picture, and then XJeeper got right to work with his torch. The roof, doors, rear hatch, and lose random pieces were the first to go. 98TACO from the TTORA club hooked up to the Jeepster trailer supplied by Ellis, and unloaded it's contents at a Ford van up the road.

Next to go was the drivetrain. We winched the Nissan up onto it's side and the torch was out. With the winch relocated to the front of the Nissan, and strapped to the end of the t-case.... out came the drivetrain in one big chunk.

Next was the frame. The bolts were all cut off, then the frame pryed up off the mounts, then winched back down the hill. That was then torched into a few pieces for easier removal. By this time Randy Robinson, Ellis' daddy, brought up Arctic Circle for everyone... life saver...

Then the Tub got sectioned off into 4-5 pieces. By this time some passer-by's stopped to help. One guy, Adam, was out in his recently purchased F-350 and asked if he could buy a bottle of water off of us. Instead he much abliged to haul out alot of the Nissan for some bottled water... and he'll be a U4 member very soon...

We then had da little give away thanks to Craig "Bullet".. stickers, shirts, hoodies, videos and so on from RL4x4 and 4WPWholesalers...

We headed out with everything loaded up in the trucks. Most guys unloaded their beds into the chester style white panel van that one of Bullet's buddy brought.

Who ever said that a Nissan Pathfinder couldn't fit into the back of a FOrd van??? The remains of the Nissan Pathfinder have been relocated to the inner walls of a dumpster in Advanced 4Wheel Drive Systems' parking lot. Great time, lot's of fun...

can't wait til the Dead Man's Curve project...

-Jason

Attachments

• smaller group pic.jpeg
    smaller group pic.jpeg
    100 KB · Views: 33
  • XJeeper.jpeg
    XJeeper.jpeg
    102.5 KB · Views: 15
  • Craig.jpeg
    Craig.jpeg
    68.9 KB · Views: 11
  • winch.jpeg
    winch.jpeg
    92.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 98TACO.jpeg
    98TACO.jpeg
    85.4 KB · Views: 15
  • landuseofficers.jpeg
    landuseofficers.jpeg
    88.8 KB · Views: 20
  • torching.jpeg
    torching.jpeg
    105.5 KB · Views: 20
  • frameremoval.jpeg
    frameremoval.jpeg
    84.1 KB · Views: 13
  • alldone.jpeg
    alldone.jpeg
    91.7 KB · Views: 17
  • packedup.jpeg
    packedup.jpeg
    97 KB · Views: 19

Fade2Black

Drinking bone
Huge thanks to everyone that showed up to help! What a great group of people!

Here are some of my pictures:

cleanup.jpg

cleanup2.jpg

cleanup3.jpg

cleanup4.jpg

cleanup5.jpg

A beautiful day to work outside!

cleanup6.jpg

cleanup7.jpg