How's an Atlas for long road miles?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I don't have a plasma but have a welder. You're welcome to the garage space and the welder if you like. I have an assortment of grinders as well along with a sawzall

Reactions: DAA

RockChucker

If you have to get funky with your mount, maybe it’s worth the effort to build a separate trans cross member? When I had an AX15, the bolt pattern on the trans for the big plate you modified was the same as the rubber mount itself. You can mount the crossmember further forward and clear the tcase entirely. If that makes sense. Bonus is you can drop the belly pan without having to support the drivetrain.

DAA

I like @RockChucker idea. But I think since I'll be tying up someone else time and space, just sinking the existing mount through the skid plate will be easier and faster. Maybe a version 2 in the future to make a new transmission cross member separate from the belly pan.

I'll gather up some materials this week. Then see if Marc or Carl are available this coming weekend.

Appreciate you guys!

- DAA

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
I've got a plasma as well, here in West Haven. I used a skid built for a 241 when I installed an atlas in my TJ; I only had to clearance a couple of strengthening ribs to get it to fit, no change to the trans mount. Is your skid an Nth unit?

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
Thats what I'm using as well, a Jeep Medic skid. MY modifications are pretty minor. I did clearance (beat) the tub a bit though.

DAA

Clocking the case higher and getting serious about clearancing the tub would probably work too :cool:.

But I wonder if the transmission itself is the difference? Mine is the 6 speed manual.

- DAA

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
Thats the difference, mine is the auto. I'm sure you can get it to fit. If you want to use my plasma, PM me and we can work out a time. If you come here, you can get a good look at how mine is in the jeep as well.

DAA

Thanks to Carl, the transmission mount is whole again and sunk 3/4" into the belly skid. Everything clears nicely without any trimming on the mounts.

untitled-2W-2.jpg

Noise is coming from the front of the transmission though. Seems less crunchy than at first and now more small rocks in a tin can. Sounds like input shaft bearing to me. It rattles the rocks in the can when driving, worse under load, but also makes a grindy rattle with the transfer case in neutral and the transmission in gear. Goes away when the clutch is pushed in. I'm hoping, it's really just the throw out bearing :D.

- DAA

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Throw out would typically sound worse with clutch pedal pushed in, unless the front input shaft housing or bearing is messed up. After looking at your old transfer case I would be surprised if something in the tranny wasn't messed up.

DAA

So... I want to drink...

Dropped off the NSG370 at Tip Top on Monday. Went in to look and talk again today. Joey and Ross are great to talk to and work with. Two thumbs up for Tip Top. Love the way they approached everything and laid it all out. No bull crap, no trying to sell me anything, just honest assessment and experienced advice.

The NSG370? Two thumbs down.

They can't see anything in it that would really explain the noise I was hearing. Bearings are fine. But, the transmission is totally shot, anyway. Cracked case. Wich I had not noticed, but it's a long crack in the front case half. Synchros on their last legs. Significant wear on the lower gears. It needs a full rebuild. And a front case half. But it still might not be the source of my noise. I took my old TO and pilot bearings with me, they agreed with me that they are not the source of the noise. Still "could be" the transmission, but they are afraid it might not be. Which, would leave, my new Atlas.

But, one thing at a time. And right now, the thing is the transmission.

We bench raced everything from a NV4500 swap, to a brandy new Tremec 4050, to rebuilding or replacing the shitty NSG370. I really do appreciate how good those guys are to work with, I wish every shop could be like Tip Top. Finally agreed the cheapest and easiest, but not cheap, at all, is to get a good NSG370 back in my LJ. I wish I could afford to convert to a NV4500, let alone the Tremec, but there's just no way I can swing that.

So, they are on a search for parts for my old one, or a good low mile used one (and some parts for it, too). They'll get it penciled out and see what I want to do from there. Not going to be a fast process though. The LJ is going to be down for at least a few more weeks.

- DAA