Jeep JK Unlimited "Transformer" 6.2L "LS3" GM build

gingerthejeep

I am the one with the WJ in the shop at Novak. I thought about going the 6.0L route as well. But after talking with another guy here at the shop who has one in an aluminum tubbed scrambler, I chose the 5.3 for better mileage. A 6.0 would fit in there the same as the 5.3. The L33 has 15 more horsepower than a regular 5.3 and is an aluminum block. I didn't weigh the engine and transmission after I pulled them, but I am guessing that I dropped close to 200lbs with the 5.3 and 4L60 compared to the 4.7 and 45rfe.

I came across this link in the beginning of my swap of somebody else who has done the swap on their own. http://www.tntgp.com/showthread.php?tid=781&page=1

He has some good pictures of one in the engine bay. His 5.3 died and he swapped that out for a 6.0. I am trying to stay away from the frame mods that he did to fit the headers in. That is what I am currently figuring out right now for our conversion package. The headers and mounts should be able to drop in without modification.

If your WJ is stock height, it will be very close to the axle. I would recommend at least a 2" lift if the 5.3 engine is out of a truck. Stock height would most likely require a lower profile intake and raise the engine higher than where I have it. The truck intake in mine is very near the cowl and hood on the front as well.

jpndave

I picked up the heads today after having them surfaced .032" for a 1/2 point bump in compression. I will do the ceramic coating over the weekend and then the heads go back for a valve job to make sure everything is ok after the port cleaning work. Hopefully I will be assembling the engine later next week. Right now I am wishing I hadn't touched the engine but it's too late to turn back. I still have plenty to do in the meantime in putting things back together. The dash has to come out to do the AN flaring for the heater core. It sounds way worse than it is, just a few fasteners and the whole thing lifts out as a unit.

Last edited:

Lifelong Jeeper

I am the one with the WJ in the shop at Novak. I thought about going the 6.0L route as well. But after talking with another guy here at the shop who has one in an aluminum tubbed scrambler, I chose the 5.3 for better mileage. A 6.0 would fit in there the same as the 5.3. The L33 has 15 more horsepower than a regular 5.3 and is an aluminum block. I didn't weigh the engine and transmission after I pulled them, but I am guessing that I dropped close to 200lbs with the 5.3 and 4L60 compared to the 4.7 and 45rfe.

I came across this link in the beginning of my swap of somebody else who has done the swap on their own. http://www.tntgp.com/showthread.php?tid=781&page=1

He has some good pictures of one in the engine bay. His 5.3 died and he swapped that out for a 6.0. I am trying to stay away from the frame mods that he did to fit the headers in. That is what I am currently figuring out right now for our conversion package. The headers and mounts should be able to drop in without modification.

If your WJ is stock height, it will be very close to the axle. I would recommend at least a 2" lift if the 5.3 engine is out of a truck. Stock height would most likely require a lower profile intake and raise the engine higher than where I have it. The truck intake in mine is very near the cowl and hood on the front as well.

Ya, I've read that post before. I wish he would post up after the 6.0L swap in. You should start your own post of your build too. I'd love to read through it and see the pics.

jpndave

OK, time to get this thing going. I finally have the heads back from the machine shop. They look really good, almost hate to spray them with the ceramic coatings! I have updated a few photos.

jpndave

Oh, and I have a CarPuter in the works, should have on board WiFi, GPS with topos, Itunes, etc. in shortly. I am also installing Polk Speakers and an Alpine digital 5 Channel Amp. (Anyone want to buy a stock Premium sound system?) Still need a new sub but have everything else.

jpndave

I'm sure I'm nowhere near as excited as you are, but I can't wait to hear that monster running & driving!

You have no idea!!!:sick:

I am hoping to button the engine up tomorrow. I need to set the rockers, put on the rocker covers, torque the phazer valve, put the pan and front cover on and then the fun begins! The pan has to be machined for an oil pressure blow off that the Gen 4 engines require because of their high volume oil pumps and the sensitive VVT controls before I can put it on. Both the intake and pan are Camaro parts.

throttle body on the LS3 intake???

Dave, I talked to you earlier today about my 5.3 L33. I saw you used a LS3 intake and I see you still have the drive by wire throttle body. Can you use the LS6 intake and still bolt the drive by wire throttle body off from the 5.3? All of the ones I have found for sale with the throttle body attached for sale are all drive by cable. OR can you fix this issue when your techs do the wiring harness. How did you do the JK that just left the shop? Thanks

jpndave

The L92 and LS3 are the same size throttle body and injector connectors which makes for an easy swap. I am not certain of the compatibility between the LS6 intake and the L33 throttle body.

Last edited:

xtremexj

Swap is looking great Dave! Sorry I wasn't able to swing by on my way back from Moab in September to check it out in person.:( Did you get the pics that I e-mailed you the beginning of October from my Moab trip?

Shane

jpndave

Swap is looking great Dave! Sorry I wasn't able to swing by on my way back from Moab in September to check it out in person.:( Did you get the pics that I e-mailed you the beginning of October from my Moab trip?

Shane

Yes I did, thanks for sending those. It looked like a lot of fun!

I added a few more updates on the front end.

Tomorrow, I am going to tackle the headers and get them welded up for good!

jpndave

Project is coming along. Exhaust is complete -- again. Front axle and steering are out for blueprinting and to add the 9" center. Zip Locker and alloy shafts will be here shortly for the rear.