Jeep JK Unlimited "Transformer" 6.2L "LS3" GM build

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Same here, I like seeing what you're doing when you do it. :) The first post is just for the first pics, in my opinion.

jpndave

Shhhh, no talking to him. He needs to spend his time finishing his project and posting his progress.
:rofl: too true!

Looks like Randy's flaked :-\ so it will be getting a 35 spline ARB with alloy shafts in the rear. I pulled the the front to put the 9" center in. I'll try and get some full exhaust photos up for your enjoyment later today. And YES, I'll post them in the body of the thread as requested.

I'll have the remote water pump ordered Monday as the unit I was going to use will not clear the cam phaser solenoid. I'll also get the rest of the fuel and cooling fittings, hoses, etc. ordered.

The wiring is underway and should be ready by the time the plumbing parts arrive. The Camaro pan still needs to be machined to accept the Gen 4 blow off valve.

Last edited:

jpndave

Exhaust photos:
Exhaust5.jpg

Exhaust8.jpg

Exhaust3.jpg

Last edited:

Bauker

Man, that looks great! How hard was it to get the 6al80 to fit in there?

And I noticed you deleted the gas filler and relocated it to the back. Was there a particular reason (i.e. fuel cell) or just to clean things up?

Keep up the good work!

jpndave

Man, that looks great! How hard was it to get the 6al80 to fit in there?

And I noticed you deleted the gas filler and relocated it to the back. Was there a particular reason (i.e. fuel cell) or just to clean things up?

Keep up the good work!

The 6L80E is an easy fit, plenty of room.

As for the fuel filler, I was planning on extending the flares up a bit and that would have hit the fuel filler which was my original reasoning. I'm not sure that it will be necessary after the mods I have made, we'll see. It was worth it even if it turns out to be cosmetic only. The quality of that piece is outstanding!

Bauker

I'm a little confused with the EPA rules to an engine swap - maybe you can help.

If your vehicle is a 2012, does the engine need to come from a 2012 or newer? Or can it be from a 2008, so long as that same engine was being used in a 2012 car/truck? How would one even tell if the engine was from a specific date vehicle?

jpndave

Generally speaking (outside California) you are required to have the same year or newer engine along with retaining and integrating both the engine (i.e. egr, pcv, etc.) and chassis (i.e. evap, cats, etc.) emission equipment. On these newer engines it really isn't that difficult as most of it is all integral to the engine anyway. It usually entails running all 4 O2 sensors, running cats and integrating the EVAP system. The best thing is to check with the local referee station to be sure. Sometimes the local referee station doesn't even have it right and you'll have to look at the local laws directly. California adds a whole new level of difficulty as they get more specific with what transmission can be used and all parts have to be CARB certified.

This JK doesn't have to meet emissions in Cache County but it will be set up to pass anywhere but CA.

jpndave

The front axle should be fixtured and welded tonight and tomorrow.

Cooling is underway, ended up going to a remote pump due to a compatibility problem with the VVT and my original pump plans.

Wiring is getting close.

xtremexj

Dave, just wondering if you have gotten all the bugs out of the computer interface yet? I don't see anything on the site about any of the parts other than the motor mounts. I'm still eyeing up a 5.3L swap for the wife's JK to get some more power and mileage out of it. I think it would be cheaper than a gear swap.:D