Jeep JK Unlimited "Transformer" 6.2L "LS3" GM build

jpndave

OK, I'm finally back on this project. Here are two photos of the front axle nearly complete. You can see the line up bar in place and the outer knuckles ready to go in Monday night (hopefully).
JK-Axle-rear-1.jpg

JK-Axle-front.jpg

Last edited:

jpndave

Axles

So, the description on the axles:

The "temporary" set (which will be for sale at some point BTW) will be the stock rear housing with 35 spline ARB and shafts, 4.10 ratio. The front pictured above is a Ford 9" (center from currie) with 3"od .250" wall DOM tubes (stock JK is 2.5"od .250" wall), stock brackets and knuckles, Dynatrac ProSteer Ball Joints, C2 Axle gussets from off-road evo, 31 spline alloy shafts, 4.11 gears and a different preloaded type torsen differential (we'll see if it works they way I hope it does).

The parts in the works are a billet water pump adapter/pulley for the electric pump, billet output for the HMMWV "H1" 242 transfer case (the output shaft is finished), and the pulley system. The rest is mostly plumbing and wiring.

BTW, if anyone is interested in the bumpers, I am looking to sell those as well. I am going to an Iceland front and Rock Slide rear.

Last edited:

jpndave

Here's one from a bit ago of the engine bay showing the filter and water pump. The pump will be on the right frame rail. I needed to get the axle done to make sure that there was no interference at full bump.
Filter.jpg

*jrwiii*

Dave, you need to get this thing rolling. Jeep Speed Shop just got a Caddy with the same engine/trans that you are using. They are going to offer an install kit as soon as they get the engine installed

Hi there

I've nearly the Same setup running on my JkU 2009
( ls3, 6l80e , speartech Harness )

I just ordered the Novak Tacho Signal Emulator to get the rev gauge working...
Speedometer/ odometer works, due to the fact i left the Jeep pcm in place

But now i'm getting stuck for the Check Engine lights and so on. Would
Love to Control it from my New pcm altough i didn't find the gauge Cluster wiring
Yet or documentation about the Chrysler can Bus to Emulato / transform the Signals ...

Anyone has an idea where i can find more ?

jpndave

IT LIVES!!! I fired the engine up for the first time and it sounds GREAT (especially with open headers), extremely responsive. It does have a slight noticeable idle because of the cam that I didn't expect. I was thinking that wouldn't be there because of the VVT and Comp Cams literature.

I'll try and get some new photos up soon. I have a lot of details to button up now with mounting the new Lokar electronic pedal and finishing up integration of the JK harness but to hear it run was a huge morale and motivator boost. I'll get the exhaust bolted on this weekend and maybe post an audio file along with some pics if I can clean up my wiring mess a bit. I am removing a tremendous amount of the Jeep harness.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Very cool!!! I forgot you were working on this but have thought about it a couple of times while driving up Hyde Park Lane (a few times in my Jeep even :D). Interested to see it out and about.

jpndave

any new updates?
Trying to get all the details ironed out. I was assembling the 9" drop out today along with the Transmission shifter. Progress is slow but happening. Lots of details. IT SURE SOUNDS GREAT THOUGH!

The stock wheels are hitting the control arms and sway bars so they have to go.

I am waiting for a revision on the A/C bracketry and an update on the 242 output shaft. Getting closer.

Last edited:

Macca

Aussie with screws loose.
On the Novak site I can not see an adapter for 6L80E to any New Process transfer case, is it happening soon or are they waiting for your beast to iron out any bugs etc.

Are you modifying the H1 242 to be 2WD or is it going to be permament AWD, I am interested in running a 242 (behind 6L80) which 2WD can be selected, I would have to import it from a Hummer as they are like hens teeth here, even a Jeep running a 242J is very uncomon here, I want to run the 242 to allow for AWD like Mitsubishi Super Select already fitted to my van.

Can you tell us more about the A/C bracketry, what is being done?

Last edited:

jpndave

The AMG Case with SYE on it makes for an awesome setup and can be converted to allow the 2wd high but it does compromise the strength a little over the regular AMG 242. I chose to leave mine AWD for now. Hopefully it will save some wear on the rear tires.

Here is my 242 complete less rear flange or yoke and no speed sensor as the JK uses the ABS sensors for speed.
242SYE1024.jpg

And one of the cooler inside The AMG 242:
242Cooler.jpg

The A/C pulley system for this Jeep is a one off to accomodate the electric water pump. It needed a slight rotation to clear a spark plug wire better.

Last edited: