Jeeper's 2006 6.0 F350

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Thanks for your support guys.

I am about $15k into the truck with parts and the engine 'rebuild'. I would hope for about 8-10k out of the truck as is if I sold it.

Ideally I would like to get my money back without a law suit, then sell the truck, and apply it all to a different truck.

I will talk to industrial and eighty sixed. Thanks!

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Thanks again guys for all the tips.

There is a lot happening behind the scenes over here.

Is there a resident RME attorney? I've found one I think I like, but thought I'd look here also.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Thanks again guys for all the tips.

There is a lot happening behind the scenes over here.

Is there a resident RME attorney? I've found one I think I like, but thought I'd look here also.

Bummed that it has to go there as no one wins that battle except the legal professional but it has to be done sometimes. Hope things work out for you!

FWIW, I was having a conversation with Terry Thain's wife a few months ago about pickups. She mentioned the 6.0L and 6.4L are basically responsible for his business being what it is.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Here is a curve ball update:

I had Gillette Diesel Put in some engine dye so that I could have proof from a 3rd party of the fresh oil coming in. There was no dye in the coolant :confused:.

It's actually Trani fluid leaking in. A simple radiator change and this will all go away.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Ouch....so, it's possible your original shop did just fine work and fixed it the very first time? And everything since then has been chasing a bad transmission cooler in the radiator?

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Here is a curve ball update:

I had Gillette Diesel Put in some engine dye so that I could have proof from a 3rd party of the fresh oil coming in. There was no dye in the coolant :confused:.

It's actually Trani fluid leaking in. A simple radiator change and this will all go away.

That is good news. Which brings up the question......why did the other shop not do any of these tests?

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Ouch....so, it's possible your original shop did just fine work and fixed it the very first time? And everything since then has been chasing a bad transmission cooler in the radiator?

2 of the returns were for a plugged cooler, but yes, this has been another major issue each time.

That is good news. Which brings up the question......why did the other shop not do any of these tests?

I told him too, but his reply was 'but then we would have to change the oil after the dye test'.. and I said, 'yeah, but that's a lot cheaper and faster than pulling the heads'. He still didn't listen.

If this does in fact solve the problem, I figure about 6 months of time was wasted on it.

The other good news is that we can put a little more confidence in the motor work. I can also sell it for much more (hopefully) once I swap the radiator.

Last edited:

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
With the radiator swap done, why not just keep it?

I was thinking the same thing. You should have just about everything taken care of now. I know it's left a bad taste in your mouth but why not?

The bad taste is why. No real reason. I just don't want to always be questioning the truck in the back of my mind. It is fun to drive, and will most likely be a good truck, so if it doesn't sell it won't be that bad.. But I do have my eye on a nice quiet gasser.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I can't remember whether you still have the factory bed or if that got sold. I posted in the Ecoboost thread about my neighbor who is kind of looking for a new truck, he might be interested in this one.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
So, without reading through the whole thread again... Do you think this was the initial problem all along? Or, just a coincidental problem after the work the shoddy shop did?

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I can't remember whether you still have the factory bed or if that got sold. I posted in the Ecoboost thread about my neighbor who is kind of looking for a new truck, he might be interested in this one.

I do have the factory bed. It has a dent on one side, I estimate about $700 to fix.

So, without reading through the whole thread again... Do you think this was the initial problem all along? Or, just a coincidental problem after the work the shoddy shop did?

Initial problem was broken valves and Pistons. After rebuild, this has been the main problem.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I went and drove a 2011 6.2 today. I thought I had a found a good deal, but after checking it over closely I realized it was in pretty rough shape. In order to get into a nicer 6.2, I think I will have to spend more than I want too. So now I am conflicted. If this 6.0 will last than I guess I should keep it.. But I don't know what to think. :(

however, the mirrors on the 2011 were waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than the 6.0. If I keep it, I will have to upgrade the mirrors.