Jeeper's 2006 6.0 F350

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Diesels are very finicky about having enough voltage/current to start - If the starter is good it sounds like maybe you're not getting enough current to it to turn the engine over fast enough to start. I'd double and triple check all the connections (pos. AND neg.) to make sure they're clean and tight, and also check the condition of the cables themselves. It's not uncommon for cables to corrode inside the insulation (and look 100% fine from the outside.)

P.S. I'm jealous of this project.:)

My last diesel was a joke when it came to cables and connections. I thought that might be the case here also. I only double checked, not triple. I am buying fresh batteries before I dig further.
I charged the batteries over night, and still had slow crank. I only cranked for a short bit. When I put the battery back into my other truck, it was so dead it wouldn't start the gas engine. I take this to mean one of two things.. 1- the starter is drawing waaay too many amps and killed the battery quick, or 2- that particular battery might not have had a good connection... except it did read on my volt meter as getting charged..

Tonkaman

My experience with diesels is that even two brand new batteries will be drained dead after just a couple cranks on the engine. Don't you have a big battery charger that does jump starting also?

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
My experience with diesels is that even two brand new batteries will be drained dead after just a couple cranks on the engine. Don't you have a big battery charger that does jump starting also?
No, just an old sissy charger.

Many internet threads later, it seems a majority of slow cranks are caused from a locked up A/C compressor. I will have to see if I can spin the motor by hand, and maybe remove the belt for a test crank.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
pro tip on the surpentine belt.

watch this. there is a lock to hold the tensioner in place to take off the belt. it makes it 100000000000000000 X's easier to put the belt back on. Trust me, I had to replace the alternator 3 times in one week because O'Reilly kept giving me crap alternators. I can change an alternator in 5 minutes now.

[video=youtube;DbNPbrvpwes]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbNPbrvpwes[/video]

Last edited:

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
pro tip on the surpentine belt.

watch this. there is a lock to hold the tensioner in place to take off the belt. it makes it 100000000000000000 X's easier to put the belt back on. Trust me, I had to replace the alternator 3 times in one week because O'Reilly kept giving me crap alternators. I can change an alternator in 5 minutes now.

[video=youtube;DbNPbrvpwes]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbNPbrvpwes[/video]

This joker must have some miracle hands. I cant even get my hand close to that little lever. The truck has some kind of protective shroud that is attached to the engine, and goes into the fan shroud. I can't fit my hand between that shroud and the tensioner pulley. The good news is that I could see the A/C compressor pulley rotat easily as I flexed the belt and tensioner.

Edit: Just kidding, I'm an idiot. I got it after a second watch. I was able to latch the tensioner, still slow crank.

Last edited:

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
2 new interstate batteries, cranks better for sure, but still way too slow. Checked all battery connections very well. I will try a new starter next.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I would do a starter. Mine cranks over pretty quick. I also have two interstate batteries from Costco in mine. The battery on the passenger side is the one that is supposed to be hooked to the starter if I remember right. My cables were pretty corroded. I had to clean them with baking soda and water. Then I used a terminal brush to make them acceptable.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I would do a starter. Mine cranks over pretty quick. I also have two interstate batteries from Costco in mine. The battery on the passenger side is the one that is supposed to be hooked to the starter if I remember right. My cables were pretty corroded. I had to clean them with baking soda and water. Then I used a terminal brush to make them acceptable.

My terminals were as clean as can be, not a speck on them.. But I triple checked anyway. I hope to pick up a starter tonight.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
New starter installed. Still slow crank :(
The starter I pulled off is literally new. Still has all the stickers, perfectly readable.
I am assuming the slow crank was the issue that stopped the vehicle for being used, and that the PO installed the starter and gave up.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Starters tested as good.

I bought the scan gauge 2. Key on, my readings on FMP, SYC, ICP, and IPR were good. While cranking, FMP stayed at 48, SYC hit 1, ICP hit a peak of about 1,700, and I didn't look at IPR.
The truck almost made a chugging sound, as if it half fired..

Second crank I stood on the throttle for just a few seconds, more of the half hearted 'popping'. didn't read my scanner at all.

Third Crank, FMP good, ICP good, SYC good, IPM hit 83, dropped to 73, dropped to 14. still hearing the half chugs.. Followed by the the sound of.......
IMG_4668[1].JPG

Streaming oil... :(

Right side looks to be coming right out from under the front cylinder exhaust port. Left side looks to be directly from the front of the head gasket.

My dreams of a quick fix have been vanquished..

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
99% of the time its from the top of the motor. and the motors don't go bad unless you've overboosted it and blown headgaskets. bad tuners do that. I'll bring my truck so you can feel what a 95% good running truck is like. My AC broke and I still need to replace the lines. LOL