Kevin's (slow) Excursion mod/upgrade thread

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Would the 2011-2016 version weld-it-yourself bumper fit? Or the 2017-2019 version? $450 or $525 isn't bad at all.

Could probably make one fit with a little persuasion? But none of his DIY kits have the winch plate. Easier to work it up from scratch at that point.

Just run a front receiver and a cradle. Adds some reinforcement to the front end as well. Dad had one on his Super Duty and an 8274.

Warn also makes a hidden winch mount.

I thought about it, that'd be super easy. I'm just not a fan of receiver mounted winches though. They bring a lot of disadvantages to the table.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I thought about it, that'd be super easy. I'm just not a fan of receiver mounted winches though. They bring a lot of disadvantages to the table.

But also a lot of advantages. Loved mine. went in the front or back of any vehicle, so I can get pulled out the direction I want. Usable in each of my vehicles, instead of having one for each vehicle. Transferred to the trailer when needed. Many uses.

But.. stuck out far, lower than I would like, had to hook up the cables each time I wanted to use it, portable so everyone I knew thought they could also use it, etc.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
But also a lot of advantages. Loved mine. went in the front or back of any vehicle, so I can get pulled out the direction I want. Usable in each of my vehicles, instead of having one for each vehicle. Transferred to the trailer when needed. Many uses.

But.. stuck out far, lower than I would like, had to hook up the cables each time I wanted to use it, portable so everyone I knew thought they could also use it, etc.
The big issue for me with a multi-mount winch is where do you store it when you're not using it? To do it properly and safely IMO, you need a receiver tube permanently mounted somewhere in/on the vehicle that the winch can live full-time. If that's in a pickup bed, then it's not so bad (other than eating up bed space and being attractive to thieves). In an SUV, it's a deal breaker.

Last edited:

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
The big issue for me with a multi-mount winch is where do you store it when you're not using it? To do it properly and safely IMO, you need a receiver tube permanently mounted somewhere in/on the vehicle that the winch can live full-time. If that's in a pickup bed, than it's not so bad (other than eating up bed space and being attractive to thieves. In an SUV, it's a deal breaker.

I left it in the front of the truck full time, moved it to other vehicles when needed. Now it just sits on a shelf in the garage until I want to use it.

Kevin B.

A couple weeks ago I drove Three Corners to Four Corners with @DAA and @frieed, a good test for the beast and I learned some things about where I can take it and how far I can push it. Didn't find the limit yet, but I got close a couple times!

r7ekapV.jpg

20200305_Corners-39.jpg

LnDauta.jpg

By5UNgt.jpg

Sleeping in the back is tits. No tent to screw with when I get to camp, don't even have to pack the sleeping bag in the morning. Roll out at dawn, scare up breakfast, close up the back and hit the road. This potential is one of the reasons I decided to go with such a beast of a rig, and I'm glad it's paying off.

I pulled the drawers out, and I'm experimenting with running the kitchen in a Craftsman rolling tool chest. It's working out well, a little flimsy and I definitely wouldn't buy it for anything but light loads like I'm using it for. The latches rattle, gotta do something about that. I do like pulling it out of the back and having kitchen set up in 30 seconds.

Rocky Mountain Pinstripes are inevitable. Resistance is futile. Bedliner for the sides is going on The List. I'll pick something that lays nice and flat with a minimum of texture, and probably color match it?

Shocks are SHOT. The beast wallows like a barge through the rocks and ruts and the steering is almost nonexistent through washboard and high speed bumpy shit. Something Must Be Done. I'll be buying tires this fall - I don't want to buy another set of 33s and I'm not in a place for the axle swap yet, so I hit up @mesha for a set of 4" lift springs and he hooked me up with a great price. Next paycheck I'll pick up a set of Bilstein 5100s and be ready to throw them on, and that'll have me set for new tires this fall.

Last edited:

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
I love the big rig. I had an ‘85 k5 suburban -$500 purchase price, second hand 35’s, a lunchbox locker, and nothing to lose. Was like driving my living room! Those excursions are hilariously big and beefy, love seeing it in action. Old man camping at its finest.

Kevin B.

I've been putting this off due to a bum shoulder, but I think these guys have about seen their last trail.

20200520_103403.jpg

Picked up the shocks from Jack-It a couple weeks ago, and the caster wedges I forgot to order finally showed up yesterday. So I broke out everything and managed to get the truck in the air and two of the caster wedges installed ...

20200520_103418.jpg

... just in time for the rain to start. Whose fault is this rain stuff? I want to speak to their manager.

I'll have two to three hours each morning between work and bed to get this done before my next weekend. Except when it rains, natch. I picked up an electric impact that should make things easier on the shoulder (why didn't I have one of these before? This thing is tits!), so we'll see how long this takes.

Last edited:

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I divide my life into two different periods: before and after getting a cordless impact. They are in fact the bees sneeze.

When time machines become affordable I will be using one to go back in time and punch myself in the d*ck for being too cheap to buy one sooner.

Love the build too. I've always liked Excursions and think they'd be fun to wheel.

Kevin B.

Track bar surprise! I did not expect anticipate this and it's throwing a wrench in my gears.

So I suppose in order of easiest to hardest I'm looking at a) adjustable track bar, b) cut and sleeve, or c) drop bracket. What's the right way? Is there a "right" way?

Kevin B.

I would say option a or c. I'm a little surprised to have a track bar on a leaf sprung rig.

I was too! I'm thinking that the 7.3 is a much heavier motor than my 10 banger and I'm ever-so-slightly entertaining bad thoughts about leaving it off and seeing what happens.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I was too! I'm thinking that the 7.3 is a much heavier motor than my 10 banger and I'm ever-so-slightly entertaining bad thoughts about leaving it off and seeing what happens.

I'd be interested too. I know my father-in-law's '91 crew cab would get death wobble on the highway, when his track bar bushings were worn.